Cracked hull

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First there is no balsa core in the hull but only dyvancell which may look like balsa core. It give structural integrity; yet, it is lightweight and not affected by water. It also allows the hull to flex.
Then my question is there gel coat on the inside of that repair. If not, there will be a chemical reaction to the bare fiberglass with water over time. Then my next question, was another 23.5 hull splashed in the same spot which to make a plug from in that area to make a new section so you have the exact hull likeness. Then was balsa core, dyvancell or only bare glass added? I was not there so many questions may not be answered. Although I cannot tell but the finished product does look good and shiney.

Last edited:

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Fellow sailor sent me me some photos after that storm on Sylvan Lake. I believe this might be the same boat...
If that is the case, it apparently broke it's mooring and drifted across the lake (?). Damage could be caused by number of powerboat lifts seen on the photo?

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
What is the asking price after that big repair? I wouldnt want it unless it was very cheap. Like throw away money cheap. Too easy to hide flaws, and I would think hard to patch in properly to the ballast tank since you cant get to both sides of the hull if the ballast tank is in the way. I cant tell if the patch area is next to the ballast tank tho.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Fellow sailor sent me me some photos after that storm on Sylvan Lake. I believe this might be the same boat...
If that is the case, it apparently broke it's mooring and drifted across the lake (?). Damage could be caused by number of powerboat lifts seen on the photo?
That is a San Juan 21 , I know it lost its mast and I seen it like that right after the storm.
She is back on its mooring with a new stick.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
I must disagree. San Juan doesn't have from cabin window, rear corner seats (cockpit) and the kick-up rudder that will go all the way up.
You are correct, that is not the San Juan
Was the San Juan yellow? Same storm.....
Yes that was a yellow san Juan 21. That storm was June 20

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Karyon;
on the repaired boat, was it polyester or vinylester resin used in the repair process? I have always said asking questions is a good thing. All the manufacturers use vinylester resin at and below the water line as it is not pourus like polyester.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Karyon;
on the repaired boat, was it polyester or vinylester resin used in the repair process? I have always said asking questions is a good thing. All the manufacturers use vinylester resin at and below the water line as it is not pourus like polyester.
C D I have no idea what they used, I do know it was repaired at a small shop and all they do is boats, so you would assume they know what they are doing.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
C D I have no idea what they used, I do know it was repaired at a small shop and all they do is boats, so you would assume they know what they are doing.
that would be a really bad assumption...

bests

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Karyon;
The questions asked are good ones but I am not making any suggestions the shop did not do it correctly. Not only designing but actually working on boats with serious damage gave me some insight to ask only. Enough said.