Reefing diagram

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Does anyone have a diagram on how to reef the mainsail on a Hunter 28.5?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I've learned over the last few years, each boat ends up really being their own unique system. You can rig anyway you like, for most any boat based on your personal preferences. Look up different reefing systems on google, and read up on likes and dislikes of each system.

If you are looking for help on your existing, take pics of your current hardware or ask a fellow dock neighbor, I had an old-er salt help with my first boat. Took that learning and applied to the next.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thetone, clarification please.
Are you unclear about the basic idea or not sure where the lines run?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I'm not sure all H28.5's had the same system. On my '86 model, all I did was pull down the luff and hook the cringle to a reefing hook at the gooseneck. Aft, the reefing line ran aft along the boom, then up to a leech cringle, then back down the other side. Here is a generic diagram of that:
reef line.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok
How do the lines run on the boom. Are there sheaves in th eboom or do you have cheek blocks on the outside of the boom. Lines run inside or outside of the boom. These lines are to control the outhaul of the sail foot. You will fix a line to the grommet that is found a few feet up the sail leech from the end of the boom. This is the first reefing point. Several of the diagrams show this line end. You Lowere the sail till you can pull this "out haul reefing line" taut. The line runs to the block or the sheave on the end of the boom. Then it runs forward along the boom either to a cleat near the mast or into a block, down to the mast base through at block and back to the cockpit. Not sure how your boat is rigged. If you provide images of your boom and mast base the question would be solved.
The first step was to shorten the sail at teh end of the boom.
The second part of reefing needs us to shorten the sail along the mast. Some systems have a reefing hook on the gooseneck (the end of the boom attached to the mast. The grommet on the sail is lowered till it attaches to the hook, or is pulled down to the gooseneck by a line and secured at the gooseneck by timing it off or by running a line to the base of the mast and back to the cockpit.
With the two points secure you have a reefed sail. (Shortened to 75% of it's full height)

You will have some baggy sail material along the boom. You should also have some small grommet homes in the sail. These are to be used to gather the sail and loosely secure it they are not to tie the middle of the sail to the boom. These grommets are not strong enough to shape the sail by tying the sail to the boom . You only want to gather loose part of the sail and loosely tie them up. If you try to secure the sail to the boom you will see the sail rip.

Hope that description helps.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
the luff (along mast) should be tensioned first and released last.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I'm not sure all H28.5's had the same system. On my '86 model, all I did was pull down the luff and hook the cringle to a reefing hook at the gooseneck. Aft, the reefing line ran aft along the boom, then up to a leech cringle, then back down the other side. Here is a generic diagram of that:
View attachment 140383
That's how I did ours with sheaves in the boom end cap. Took me a while to pull the lines through without crossing them inside the boom. Maybe that didn't matter.

All U Get