Handholds on Hunter 216

Aug 18, 2009
2 216 Lake Auman
The cockpit handholds on my 2008 Hunter 216 are turning yellow and cracking at the corners.
I having trouble removing the old ones to replace them. Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
not hunter supplied or installed. Look on the inside of the boat to see if they are nut and bolted in. If you can take them off and no cracks, use acetone to clean up with but not while installed on boat as it will affect the deck plastic material badly. Report back sir.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The PO used something more than silicon to waterproof. Was probably worried (reasonable) about the load on the screws.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the handholds are an off the shelf part (forespar) and Hunter did list them as an option - my 216 has them from the factory and they came right out. I agree with Jackdaw, the PO probably put them in with something much stronger. Get some heavy monofilament and a couple of dowels and make a cable saw, then try sawing around the handle between the hull and the plastic handle. You should be able to cut through whatever he put in - this works on 5200 - and then pry the handle out

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chuckwayne you proved me wrong on the hand holds which were probably installed long after introducing that boat. I learned something today but still suggest he look on the inside to see if there is a backing plate of sorts

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I would never try to prove you wrong, Dave! things change all the time in this industry...
Mine were installed with sheet metal screws and what looks like silicone caulk. I know they were factory because the PO gave me a copy of the original order form from Hunter.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
My friend I never questioned you as you are always right on. Remember, I am an old fart loosing some brain cells daily which is why my nickname is appropriate, Crazy Dave. Just make sure you never pull a crazy dave.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Chuckwayne you proved me wrong on the hand holds which were probably installed long after introducing that boat. I learned something today but still suggest he look on the inside to see if there is a backing plate of sorts
He did mention that the screws had been removed....and that the handholds appear bonded to the surrounding surface. The cable saw solution may work. Another might be a multi tool with the scraper blade to get between the two surfaces.