Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I'm taking an 87 y.o.retired sailor out for a day sail next week because feeling the breeze on his cheek is about the most cherished experience he can imagine. He'll drive, I'll man the sheets. I asked him about possibly moving to assisted living and he looked me in the eye and said, "you know those places are full of old people?" I paused for a moment, taking that in. "Well yes, is that a problem? "Yes, I have a sense that hanging around old people makes you old." He must have cut a swath through port back in the day!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Gunni, I don't see how "Cats & Tri's" could be the future of recreational sailing, where would they all be docked, the darn things are so wide it takes a minimum of (2) slips are required, man talk about adding cost!
I pay $125/month for a single 18' slip, water and power included. The trick is that I don't need a deep slip for all that lead. There are several cats is this predominantly powerboat marina.

Also remember that a 34' cat is the equivalent, in most ways, of a 38' mono, but with lighter sails and 1/3 the mass to bull around.

You have to look at cat through a different eye, and remember that charter cats are are rigged and outfitted very differently from anything you would want for 2 people.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I feel somewhat old this morning. For the first time (beer!), went partially up the mast using a climbing harness, the Admiral belaying me on the main halyard.
Repaired a lazy jackline and the chafe guard. My butt hurts!

20170818_080953.jpg
@Justin_NSA , you've got a dirty mind. I like it.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
What is a cup holder? Must be a cheap boat! All I have is 4 beer holders! Chief

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think you go smaller to a certain extent. Smaller also means less stable. There is a tradeoff at which point lack of stability becomes harder to sail than complexity. Larger boats are more complex. Smaller boats become unstable. I would find that 22-25 ft boat with fewer systems that sails well single handed. Then always sail with crew. Not hired. Face it. Few people can hire crew. However, willing sailors can always be found. Marinas are full of friendly people. Also, sail on other people's boats. Invite people, and they will reciprocate. Rule: if someone invites you... reciprocate with an invitation!
Next, accomodate limits: reaction time, strength, sight, and hearing all fade with age. You know what? Bladder capacity also diminishes with age! Ask people to sail for shorter periods or if they will mind you using the head. ALWAYS ask if you can use the head on someone's boat!
Maybe move to a slip that is on a T to facilitate easier docking. Inform others of a sail plan, so friends can be on hand for docking help.
The key is to accomodate limits in order to keep active and sailing. People around us will help.
I agree that continuing to do weight-bearing exercise is important for maintaining strength and skeletal integrity and support. We should all be in the gym. All of us.

Think your way through every step, every facet and factor. Simplify each one to accomodate limits.
You may not even need to own a boat!

Nov 26, 2012
The tippy concept does not apply to some 25/26' boats and many sailors are misinformed. If you think this, I suggest that you step aboard a Catalina 250. It has many big boat traits with a 25' length. Chief

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Cupholders plural? I coulda had more than one cupholder? Damn.
For when you've more than one going aloft? What a concept!
But I'd be too skeered I'd spill my drink anyways.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
For when you've more than one going aloft? What a concept!
Well you know what they say about any boat being too small when the admiral is pissed at you, you can have your mast and a pair of cold ones too. (I'm gonna pay for that comment, I just know it)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
After being out of sailing for 15 years or so, I've recently purchased a Hunter 33. Love the boat. It sails well, has a great roomy cabin and can go anywhere I am likely to want to go.
But I am beginning to believe it's too big for my older body. I find I am just as likely to sit on the mooring as go through the workout to go sailing.
I am thinking i would get in more sailing in 22 to 25 footer with fewer systems to maintain and a lighter hull to move around.
So my question to you older sailors is it better to move up to nicer accommodations or downsize for easier management.
For me, boat size is connected to sailing grounds. Can you sail in protected waters only? We sail in an area with near limitless anchorages and harbors within a day or two of home.

Usually, getting 'there' and back would be a breeze in a smaller boat. BUT, there are enough times - that happen pretty regularly - that a smaller lighter boat would turn a sporty windward beat of 10 miles in a heavily reefed 38' boat, into an epic challenge in a much lighter/smaller boat.

In my case, when I can't handle the boat I have, I'll get a smaller boat, but I'll have to find smaller waters to go with it.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
This applies to our home area as well. Buzzards Bay can be very challenging in the right wind and tides.
I do wonder how the 23 footer I am eying would handle all of that. Plus the slower speed puts our favorite harbors that much further away.

Nov 26, 2012
Mike: 23' will likely get you the traditional small boat broblems that have been stated here so many times. Read what I said about 25/26' boats in my prior post. Chief

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Interesting discussions. A few years ago, a leading UK sailing mag did a CV of J.M Finot and his boats, along with his options. Interesting reading from one of the world's foremost designers, and all-around 'boat guy'.

If BlueJ ever leaves my nest, it will be replaced by a 28-30 footer. Interestingly, I would kill to find a First 27.7 'over here'

finot.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Jackdaw: The Hunter 260's are stable boats like the Catalina 250 aren't they? Seems these guys think 25/26's act like 23's and mine sure doesn't! Chief