Thoughts on Marlow-Hunter direction?

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
Very good then. What do you say we move on? Eh?
I'm not sure what you mean. When I say they've lost me - I mean I'm not sure what kind of demographic they are targeting here - in relation to the other brands out there (both in terms of design and marketing language). That's why I'm interested in the thoughts of others here.

I've been a VERY strong proponent for Hunter for years now. But I just don't understand this new direction. It definitely seems to be a motor-yacht influence coming into the sailing side for them, which makes sense based on Marlow's history, but is that an indicator that the market (either private or charter) is moving that direction as well? Or is M-H just filling a smaller niche (motor-sailors) that may be more significant than I thought? One thing is for sure - they are making fairly bold changes.

I don't see this direction in the other brands which makes this, in my opinion, worthy of discussion.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
...no seat back in the cockpit and a bathtub cockpit. I can't stretch out on the leeward cockpit bench when off watch...
WTF is up with that? I wouldn't own a daysailer without backrests, now here is a 42' cruiser with no back support in the cockpit. I guess "SS" comes from the marketing copy, "simply sexy seating." I never thought of sore back as sexy; but maybe 'simply sexy' is something that I have not yet experienced. Should I want to? I suppose its time for me to admit that I'm an old man, because I prefer the comfortable sexy seating of the "lumbering and obese chariots."

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Anyone read a wine label lately?? Puts this "advertise-speak" to shame !

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It definitely seems to be a motor-yacht influence coming into the sailing side for them, which makes sense based on Marlow's history, but is that an indicator that the market (either private or charter) is moving that direction as well?
Yes, yes it does. Sabre gave up on sailboats, Hinkley is mostly just fixing up sailboats and selling jetdrive mobos, Beneteau is making flat-tops (and Mobos too!) that are like 20 foot abeam and look like they would down flood in a strong rainstorm, tailgates and my favorite ridiculous 'innovation' sail drives. At least the Hunter looks like it wants to be sailed. Most of what I see at boat show looks like it was designed to motor from one slip to the next so as to get the video gear plugged up and networked. I would rather recommission a well found used Hylas or Outbound. I can always buy a can of New Boat Smell.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Looks good to me. Lots of innovation and an amazing use of space (although it only has one head). I also like the no balsa construction. As Hunter already makes a 40, I'm not sure why they choose to make a new boat only 2' longer? I think a 45' boat would have been a better choice.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Here are my thoughts and observations:

This is the same hull as the 40. Specs are identical.
Love the main traveler aft on the roll bar.
I also like the tilting steering wheel pedestal.
The mast is way forward, which will make the boat wander at anchor, probably even worse than older hunters.
I don't think I like the longitudinal galley. It won't be as easy to work at as a "U" or "L" when heeling.
I do like only one head on a boat this size.
Overall I'd prefer the 40 to the 42.
Paul

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Are they still doing the arch top traveler thing? Why don't they just go the way of german sheeting w/ out a traveler and get rid of that awful looking stainless steel radar arch thingy. It's not like HM owners are going to be racing these things around the buoys. Heck, on every hunter I've been on, the owners don't even use the traveler... just keep it centered.

Also, that boat just 'looks' heavy. I wonder if the SA/D is even above 18.

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
Are they still doing the arch top traveler thing? Why don't they just go the way of german sheeting w/ out a traveler and get rid of that awful looking stainless steel radar arch thingy. It's not like HM owners are going to be racing these things around the buoys. Heck, on every hunter I've been on, the owners don't even use the traveler... just keep it centered.

Personally I'd be all over German sheeting. When I'm cruising I can't really be bothered to fastidiously check sail trim like I'd do in our offshore races. So I'm not always milking the mainsheet and traveler/vang while cruising offshore - even though the Legend 40s are definitely set up for race-ready control if I wanted it. I think this is probably the thinking behind the arch. You see the same arch set up on the newer European models (e.g. Beneteau) - so there is something to it.

I agree with you though. These new M-H boats are FAR from being "racing boats". They look to be steadfast cruisers - and motor-sailor cruisers at that. I'm curious about the polars.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC

I've used boat with the German sheeting and the arch. Love the arch. The most effective place to trim the main is from the boom end. The best spot to have the traveller is directly underneath the boom end. The arch allows both without creating cockpit clutter like on a J boat making it better for cruising, and also makes a great spot for anchoring a bimini. We use the traveller a lot because it's effective.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Boats with German-style sheeting need to have a VERY GOOD TRAVELER setup in order to work well. This is be because the mainsheet on a winch is more difficult to play in puffs, and the trimmer quickly learns to lower the traveler to widen the AOA in a puff, then bring it back.

This is not generally practical on an arch-mounted traveler.

F4535CF1-4E52-4A35-8914-A85962CE05EB-7376-000004784F6F6F8C.jpeg

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The Hunter 33 (I think) that Jackdaw pictured has a B&R rig with no backstay and the mainsheet attaches to that arch over the cockpit to get it out of cluttering up the cockpit. That may have it's advantages, but not so for offshore heavy ocean sailing in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, the rig and support for the rig is not shown on that new Marlow design. So, no opinion there. The cockpit, looks like it is adequate for offshore sailing. So many modern cruising boats have spacious cockpits that are great for cocktails and sunbathing, but not so for serious offshore work. Some race boats have huge cockpits, but then they accommodate huge crews as well who have to jump from one side to another, etc. In Europe boats have classifications that define them as offshore, inland, coastal, etc. that is being adopted by many American builders too. The difference is how the boat is built, the hull to deck joint, design specifics, etc. to withstand various weather conditions. In addition when one thinks of offshore, besides the build of the boat, you have to think about storage, fuel tank capacity, water tank capacity, livability - all the things to consider when spending a great deal of time at sea. You need an engine adequate for the task. Some builders will have a basic inboard to keep the price down, but if you need a larger engine for higher demand situations, there is a serious price upgrade. You can find some boats with fewer winches, pumps, on and on to keep the price down, but when you are sailing offshore, you want adequate or better equipment for the task and really don't want to skimp on things as your life might depend on it. That Marlow-Hunter boat has a European look to it, which isn't bad in my opinion. The deck looks like it is open and uncluttered for walking about on. Doesn't look like much cross ventilation in terms of opening ports, but it probably is equipped with A/C. Have to see the rig and hope it has a back stay or two.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The 33 write up says it is CE A8. The very few dismastings with the B and R rig have been mostly attributed to a forestay failure and not the lack of a backstay

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
As is pretty typical of BR rigs, it appears the 42 has no backstay - just the topping lift...

It is interesting to see the main outboard shrouds (our 40 has all shrouds inboard). I would assume this would give the rig even more stability than a typical BR, meaning even less need for a backstay.

I don't at all doubt the bluewater worthiness of this rig. Not at all.

But, I'm not a fan of the topsides shapes at the bow. Very motor-yacht feel to it.

Nov 8, 2010
It is interesting to see the main outboard shrouds (our 40 has all shrouds inboard). I would assume this would give the rig even more stability than a typical BR, meaning even less need for a backstay.
A wider shroud-base doe not give more stability per se; it allows the same amount of stability with less rig tension. This also places less stress on the rig attachment points at the hull/deck, and when this point is the hull deck joint it creates a very strong 3-dimensional binding point with lower rig tension.

All major race boats starting doing this 20 years ago, and now cruisers are catching up.

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
A wider shroud-base doe not give more stability per se; it allows the same amount of stability with less rig tension. This also places less stress on the rig attachment points at the hull/deck, and when this point is the hull deck joint it creates a very strong 3-dimensional binding point with lower rig tension.

All major race boats starting doing this 20 years ago, and now cruisers are catching up.
Makes sense. Thanks JD. As long as this was an anomaly - I guess I'm good with it...to a degree...

Nov 8, 2010
Makes sense. Thanks JD. As long as this was an anomaly - I guess I'm good with it...to a degree...

A common and well accepted technique.. moving the much less loaded D1s inboard slightly allows crew to walk forward unobstructed by passing between them and the V1s.