Pearson 303 toilet help- replace with new install

Aug 8, 2017
Pearson 303 Chicago
Few questions after a short Intro.

Did a lot of searching on this subject.

I had an old Groco toilet, boat is an 83. The plastic mount broke and I couldn't find replacement.

Bought a new Groco HFB, mounting holes didn't line up and the actual assembly couldn't be completed because the 3 screw holes did not line up. Returned it for another, second had missing parts. I said screw it, went to West Marine, got a Jabilsco. This has different hole placement.

Questions:
The old toilet was mounted by 4 lag screws into the fiberglass. I looked underneath and there doesn't seem to be any support.
1. Are the screws just mounted into the fiberglass?
2. Is this reinforced inside because I see nothing but fiberglass on top and bottom surfaces.
3. Can I drill new holes for the new toilet?
4. What drill size would you use to make the hole for the lag screw?
5. Should I add extra support somehow?
5. Any advice on mounting? Any tricks, etc?

I want to make sure I do this correctly.

Thank you for the help community.

Best, Jerry

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Jerry could you supply any photo's this would help me understand what your dealing with. Thanks! P.S. What weight is the new one heavier ?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Jerry reached out to me via PM...I think we got everything pretty well sorted out in the 30 minutes we spent on the phone.

(Shameless plug warning): My book--available from the sbo.com online store)-- includes step-by-step instructions for replacing a toilet and installing new toilet and holding tank and whole bunch of other useful information. Click on the link in my sginature to see the complete table of contents. (End shameless plug)

Aug 8, 2017
Pearson 303 Chicago
Peggie was awesome. Thanks a ton.

Peggie, I ended up going with an HF-B only because it was delivered the day we spoke and I wanted it done for the weekend. We will see.

I plugged the holes with P-11 Marine Epoxy, bought from Ace Hardware.

Drilled new holes. My bolts were 5/16".

Put the toilet on and done.

I had to change the tubing as well because it was old and nasty.

The pressure from the new toilet was so strong that it was forcing the stuff out near the connections. Gross, haha.

Anyway, all done and ready to go. Thanks a million for the advice.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The pressure from the new toilet was so strong that it was forcing the stuff out near the connections. Gross, haha.
It was doing what???

You bought a good toilet that will last you a decade with minimal maintenance. I'm always available to answer any questions about it or any other part of your saniation system.

Aug 8, 2017
Pearson 303 Chicago
It was doing what???

You bought a good toilet that will last you a decade with minimal maintenance. I'm always available to answer any questions about it or any other part of your saniation system.
Well, I didn't really notice much before with the old toilet and it seemed to work well. However, with the new one installed I could easily tell that there is an enormous difference. One pump with the new toilet
Probably equaled multiple pumps with the old one so it probably needed to be repaired anyway. When I pumped the toilet, it worked so well that the force of pumping water through indicated leaks in the connections between the old tubing and joints. Therefore, the tubing was cracking at the connections but wasn't really an issue because the force wasn't large enough to notice. I didn't see a lot of residue on the hoses before I added the new toilet.

Once I did and pumped the handle, I could see water/unclean material coming out of the joints. Changed the hoses and it was fixed.