Navigation Lights

Aug 8, 2017
Hunter H26 Lake Norman, NC
I have owned a Coronado 23, Catalina 25, Catalina 27, and a Cape Dory 30. All have had the steaming and anchor lights. But I cannot find them for my New (To Me) H26. As a matter of fact, I don't see a single light on the mast. But there are breaker/switch's for the anchor and steaming lights. Doe the H26 come with these lights on the mast? Or will I need to run a light up the main halyard?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
one fixture at the top with two bulbs.

one forward for the steaming light
one forward and one aft for anchor

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Mine is so far straight up that it's hard to see except from an angle.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Steaming light's supposed to be 225 arc forward... the 360 all around light for anchoring can be anywhere that is adequately visible.... the boom end or foredeck halyard for example. The point is you can attach a wired or battery powered steaming light with a Velcro strap to the mast... or simply hang a lantern from a visible point on the boat.... should you not want to deal with running new wires up the mast in the immediate future.

Last edited:

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
one fixture at the top with two bulbs.

one forward for the steaming light
one forward and one aft for anchor
I believe the boats came with a Perko Fixed Mount Combo Masthead All-Around Anchor light, like this.

ZZ23204 (1).gif

The owners manual depicts the same light.
Mast Wiring.PNG

Mike, are you saying there is no light at the top of your mast? Was it removed for some reason? Is there a wire with connector coming out of a hole at the base of the mast?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Doug J is correct that all the water ballast boats came with the Perko Combo light. The forward bulb for steaming and both bulbs on acting as for anchor light. It appears the combo light on the Hunter 26!is missing for sure

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Joe;
On the inside DC panel is an on-off-on switch.

If there is no light at the top of the mast, where or what happennend to it.
If a switch or breaker on the panel is shot, you can order it from any supplier but it is made by Sierra and on the breaker, note the amp.

Aug 8, 2017
Hunter H26 Lake Norman, NC
Thanks for all the posts. This is what I've came up with. I do have the Perko at the Masthead. Which isn't working. And the combo on the forward Pulpit is there but only the Green is illuminated. The Red isn't working. There is no steaming light midway on the mast. They just didn't install it. Kind of a bummer and I don't understand they're thinking, since it is a required navigational light. When I drop the mast I'll have to make the repairs and add the steaming light. The interior has LEDs..... so I would have thought there would be LEDS for the Nav lighting... but not. But I'll add as needed. Thanks for letting me have all the info. You guys are a great help indeed!!

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Mike, the Perko is a double light. One bulb forward/steaming, one bulb aft. When both are on you have an anchor light. You probably just have burned out bulbs, or dirty connections.

Recommend marinebeam.com, I got these below (current controlled) for my running lights, very bright. I want to replace the festoon bulbs in the Perko at the top of the mast with LED's, but when I tried to remove the old bulbs, I couldn't get them loose, didn't want to break them since they still work.
  • 1 x 30-LED 42mm Cone End Festoon - Mini-Max (FS-42-30C)
    (Output Color: Warm White (bi-colored lenses))
  • 1 x 30-LED 42mm Cone End Festoon - Mini-Max (FS-42-30C)
    (Output Color: Cool White (anchor & stern lights))
Checkout Marinebeam website, they have a video demonstrating the importance of using current controlled LED's.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The light on the bow has one bulb.

The light at the mast head I bet does not work because of the deck connection. clean the contacts and the socket then try a meter and see if you have power at the socket.