Thoughts on Marlow-Hunter direction?

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
As a Hunter owner, I'm curious what other owners think about the direction Marlow-Hunter is taking the new boats. This is their new 42.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've never been a Hunter owner, but I've been on a lot of boats, sail and power. It's gorgeous...sleek, classic lines and a color scheme that harks back to mahogany boats. But that cockpit looks way too short to be anything but a helm station for a very skinny sailor! Hopefully that's just the angle from which they photographed it.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This boat looks like a modern blue water boat, more so than a lot of other boats. Peggy mentioned the helm being too short. Perfect for the blue water sailor as it give very little room for a lot of water ingress during storms. Low profile keeps it form being bashed in storms. But without the rigging and the stick, hard to say she really is rigged for blue water.

It is sleek and modern looking. If this is their direction, fine. Personally I would not own this boat. Only because I like more traditional looking boats. That's just me.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think it's a dandy looking boat. Very nicely proportioned. Not lots of natural ventilation but the color scheme rocks. The new look has not made it all the way across the fleet; sadly the 33 has the older Hunter look of 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound sack.

57795347-5E88-40A7-8A6E-040684AFB736-2650-0000024BC3A4C6A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
New 40: Very nice looking; no real teak outside, nice place to put solar panels, bow not too plumb so as to make anchor handling OK.. Nice

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The cockpit looks tiny and wheel size even smaller, begs the question is the steering hydraulic assist. Appears they moved the bulkhead back in order to make more room in the main salon area, not sure if I would agree with that.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dunno, cockpit looks OK.. From brochure.. yes a wide lens distorts but ...
NOW if they'd do away with the saildrive...

May 10, 2013
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
This is their write-up for this new 42. Look for key terms like "American Muscle Cars", "monkey fur", "faddish backscatter", "critters", and "structure of a military jet". I'm sorry, but as a marketer, I'm seriously scratching my head. As an owner/customer, they've lost me.

+++++++++++++

The all new 42SS from Marlow-Hunter advances the acclaimed styling and features introduced by the 40 in 2013, the 37 in 2014 and the 31 in 2015 with its clean profile, enhanced deck access and deck operations centers.

Beyond the evolutionary and striking beauty however, the SS designation is not given without basis, as it connotes the era of American Muscle Cars denoting “Super Sport” when lumbering and obese chariots had held sway previously.

The 42 features an optional all lead performance keel and exhibits astounding righting moment in heeling tests, able to go to weather with high performance cruisers and easily outdistance the normal offerings from well known manufacturers, outpointing and at higher speeds than competitive brands. The highly developed chines add significant power to the lovely aft sections for exceptional stability. These chines and added buoyancy aft provide superb downwind control in a big breeze that will have others searching for smaller sail area or shelter.

While designed to be very fast on all points of sail, it features a functional and beautifully crafted interior to put the imports to shame on quality of materials, fit, finish and design. You will find no faux wood or pressed sawdust cabinetry intended for low cost camper interiors expected to never get wet. There are no monkey fur like wall coverings or gratuitous use of mirrors to divert the eye. There are no cheap imitations of solid surface counters, as Dupont Corian is our sole choice as standard.

This is not a stark ode to whimsical and soon obsolete “statement” to be lost in the faddish backscatter of yesterday’s fad. A Marlow-Hunter sailing yacht is a finely finished showpiece built of noble woods, protected by today’s science and technology to provide years and years of only occasional wiping of her nearly impervious fittings. The 42SS is true to that heritage in every way from Keel to Truck.

The aft cabin resembles a center cockpit model, having no vague competitor within a 4’-5’ size differential and a main salon to do justice to a 46. Just abaft the salon through convenient entries port and starboard lays the centerline queen bed flanked by lovely joinery, numerous proper storage areas duplicated port and starboard for captain and mate. Forward lies a hidden vanity and triple mirror to dress by with yet another lovely example of old world cabinetry skills revealed in her exquisite level of finish everywhere. The sheer volume of storage in fine cabinetry does not prevent ease of access to key inspection points; rather it is enhanced by properly placed openings to assure ease of maintenance. When standing in either the port or starboard entry areas headroom of over 6’ is provided despite her exceptionally low profile and windage that assists in docking, anchoring and sailing. The cabin itself is a 360 degree display of yacht craftsmanship at the highest level including ball bearing drawer slides in lieu of rust prone mobile home hardware. Opening ports allow a fresh breezes and light in abundance. There is no word for the volumes of storage, headroom, built in vanity on centerline forward and the sheer ambience, fit and finish other than opulent, yet understated as one would expect from a fine yacht.

The spacious, bright and airy toilet compartment allows private entrance from the aft cabin or salon, with a twin sink and vanity head and spacious stall shower between, providing for his and her vanities or privacy for guests and owner party. Anti-Microbial elements are molded into its mirror smooth and attractive finish to retard molds, mildew and other airborne elements. An optional fresh water flush toilet is quiet and efficient with low water usage.

A Marlow-Hunter sailing yacht contains no hidden caverns inaccessible to normal inquiry and no wood lurks behind a molded plastic or chopped fiberglass headliner to harbor a petri dish of odor producing critters. Instead the innovative Whisper Liner soft headliner adds class and a look of quality, while providing 100% access in a few minutes with a common hand tool.

The forward cabin is roughly twice the size of the deservedly popular MH40 and may be opened to view from the anchor well locker aft through the huge main salon to the entry of the large aft cabin with centerline berth. Full width hand built doors of the finest hardwoods close a finely crafted main bulkhead and, at the flick of a wrist, the staterooms become perfectly private, comfortable and luxurious places of rest and relaxation retaining the overall warm glow and ambience including a highly unusual amount of storage. In fact, personal items storage is found in unusual amounts of artistically hand built and dovetailed drawers and cabinets that encircle the commodious forward cabin with matching hanging lockers, large drawers and clever storage features. Cedar lined closets keep shore clothing fresh and perfectly dry.

Consider that like all Marlow Yacht and Marlow-Hunter products, beneath the finely finished woods and high end fabrics with modern appliances beats the heart and similar concept structure of a military jet, allowing finite engineering to provide far greater strength, stability and longevity compared to ordinary generic resin and chopper gun built boats so favored by the low cost, low value offerings that appear worn, haggard and loose in just a few seasons of normal use. Her spine is Dupont Kevlar, including a wide ring frame that encircles the entire mid-section to triangulate and cancel rigging loads, providing protection against floating objects while creating a stiff boat unequaled, unless one purchases a dedicated single purpose ocean racing boat. Kevlar is 9-10 times as strong as generic fabrics, and the hull and deck coring of NIDA CORE, invented for the aviation industry of polypropylene honeycomb, is seven times as strong in impact tests compared to the highest grades of Balsa without absorbing one drop of moisture within its lifetime, unlike Balsa which will act as a sponge over time, leading to rot, mold and delamination as is well recorded in shipyard maintenance records. In fact Marlow considers Balsa an unacceptable choice for any usage within a yacht worthy of the name based on fifty years in the marine industry experience.

Topsides, the cockpit is larger than usual and much wider than seen in yachts of this size range. Part of this spacious and practical volume is made possible by our exclusive single tacking helm module allowing the helm to follow the helmsman on a unique pivoting mechanism, while eliminating the linkage of two helms and providing the unused space for a large storage box where a snake’s nest of cabling, rods and swivels usually reside. Lines lead aft in logical patterns so that the vessel may easily be singlehanded.

For entertaining, no bumping of knees for cockpit gatherings with its width approximately 50% greater than the normal 40’ sailing yacht and crowned by simply sexy seating in a semi-circle/oval arrangement. Finally, for nonskid, we have again featured SeaDek, our decking of choice despite the extra cost. Its presentation is like fine teak yet requires no maintenance other than washing with the boat. It is by far the best anti-slip we have seen, and its temperature never changes noticeably, hot or cold. Its feeling on bare feet or shoes is like a favorite chair and, in our two years of testing in the real world, it is exceptionally durable. Lastly, it is simply beautiful and accentuates the fine craftsmanship of our new 42SS.

Last. A word on comparative costs.

This outstanding new entry into the yachting world is offered with a very generous standard equipment list including SeaDek, cockpit arch, finely crafted and immensely strong flush folding cleats and top drawer hardware bow to stern at introductory pricing of $259,998.00 FOB Factory.

"

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ah. It's got that STUPID Jeffa tilting wheel. Bummer.

Beneteau replaced a gorgeous large single wheel on the First 35 with that thing, killing it's looks.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
As a Hunter owner, I'm curious what other owners think about the direction Marlow-Hunter is taking the new boats. This is their new 40.
Thoughts?
That is a picture of the 42 not the 40.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Continues a hunter cockpit style that doesn't work for me, no seat back in the cockpit and a bathtub cockpit. I can't stretch out on the leeward cockpit bench when off watch. What is the problem with the tilting wheel, looks pretty cool to me and avoids that dual wheel silliness of so many of the new boats? Hope they make a go of it.