C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I figure I'll use 16 or 14 AWG in a single run to the battery compartment.

The OEM bullet connectors are a strange choice considering they are not 100% waterproof.
They ARE sealed where the wires enter, but the connection itself is not sealed.
In saltwater, I can't see them lasting long.
Unfortunately my local chandler decided to be closed on July weekends and today I didn't get to see what he has, but I want to use a waterproof polarized connector.

I have yet to decide on choice of a regulator for the motor output. It will likely be an automotive or riding mower unit. Whichever is cheapest. If my father-in-law's old John Deere tractor had one, I'll likely use that. I can't see the regulator being much worse for wear even though the tractor has been unused for 5 years.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Solar Panel Mount

I finally got some time to work on the boat a bit. :D

Awhile ago, I was given a new 40watt Coleman/Sunforce crystalline solar panel.

The panel is small enough to fit on the sliding main hatch, but I was not keen on the idea of putting holes in the hatch, to mount the panel. That location can also be less efficient for power generation.
So, I decided to mount the panel at the stern, like many other people do.

I had a Propane BBQ, mounted on the starboard stern pulpit. Since the battery is located on the other side of the boat, to simplify wiring, I moved the BBQ mount to the port side, and mounted the Solar Panel on the starboard side. With the panel on the starboard side, it is a shorter cable run to the power panel inside the boat.

A quick trip to the local "metalsupermarket", and I had a 1/5" x .5" x 28" long piece of Aluminum (that's Aluminium for people can't seem to spell or pronounce English scientific words correctly ;) )

Some plastic washers, stainless steel bolts with nylon lock nuts, a bit of drilling and I had 14" long plates to mount the panel on.

I then picked up a pair of "Seadog" brand rail clamps. They are plastic, fit 1" to 1.25" round railings, and have large wingnuts to tighten them down. The wingnuts have capture washers to help prevent them from falling all the way out of the clamp, when you open the clamp up.

Using the rail clamps, allows the panel to rotate around the rail (by temporarily loosening the clamps slightly), which makes it possible to rotate the panel out of the way vertically, and to angle it towards the sun.

Eventually I will be mounting a deck connector on the boat, so I can easily connect/disconnect the panel, when towing the boat etc.

You may notice that the panel has plastic corners. I will be replacing them with Aluminium angle.

I am also toying with the idea of making a wood panel, with fiddle, that sits over the solar panel. That way it can occasionally be used as a table. The table panel would have little pads so that it only put the load on the surrounding frame, and not the solar panel itself.

Happy sailing !

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Lookin' good!! I'm keenly interested in those clamps, as they might be an improvement over my system. Do they have plenty of grip, and do they feel fairly well made?

I'd also appreciate some contact info on whoever is giving away free solar panels! :biggrin:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Lookin' good!! I'm keenly interested in those clamps, as they might be an improvement over my system. Do they have plenty of grip, and do they feel fairly well made?
They are well made. Same company that made my metal deck connector for the mast. SeaDog #327199-1
They grip well on the 1" railing diameter. Likely because of the rubber bushing that makes them fit the 1" railing. Over time the rubber may fail which would be the weak link, if anything.

You may notice in the photo, I don't have them fully tightened, and they still grip nicely.

If used on 1.25 inch pipe they may not grip as well. With that dia, you only have the small rubber gripping "dot', as shown in the photo. I don't have anything that diameter to test them on.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Bulkhead Replacement and Modification:

In the tech manual I found a write up by the owner of Seadog, (sailboatowners forum member "Bilbo") on replacing his bulkheads. While replacing them is straight forward, he made a full height bulkhead like I had been considering.

http://baggins.150m.com/Sailing/C22_Bulkheads.html

UPDATE: Galley modification continues HERE

Cheers,
Roy
Glad that you found my idea and that you're enjoying your bulkhead mods :)

If I remember, I was inspired after buying the Sea Dog because the bulkhead was rotting. The chain plates can leak as they run down through the deck.
My advantage in the full wall on the port side is still good. It provides privacy for the head (if used) and it gives us an extra shelf where I hang the paper towel roll.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If I remember, I was inspired after buying the Sea Dog because the bulkhead was rotting. The chain plates can leak as they run down through the deck.
My advantage in the full wall on the port side is still good. It provides privacy for the head (if used) and it gives us an extra shelf where I hang the paper towel roll.

That's about the same reason I started the mods. That stupid 2 piece chainplate design is goofy.
As shown earlier in this thread, I lined the holes with epoxy and used Butyl to seal it.
Once I get all my other major things completed, I plan on having the plate welded to the chainplate, just like the replacements available from CD.
Your post in the other thread about using silicone for that joint, makes sense, due to it's tolerance for constant movement.

Thanks for the inspiration ! I've got a plastic mirror on the foreward side, and I plan on adding additional storage if needed. For now, the toilet paper is in the locker under the bunk in front of the pottie. I may put a door on the front of that locker, so I don't have to move the cushion to access it. But I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet.

Cheers !

Sep 30, 2013
Hmm, I can't find them at WM! Wonder if they've been discontinued.

Still available elsewhere, just not for eight bucks. No way I'd say no to that!

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
That's about the same reason I started the mods. That stupid 2 piece chainplate design is goofy. As shown earlier in this thread, I lined the holes with epoxy and used Butyl to seal it.
Yes, remember that the upper shroud causes some movement when the boat heels to port & stbd.

Once I get all my other major things completed, I plan on having the plate welded to the chainplate, just like the replacements available from CD. Your post in the other thread about using silicone for that joint, makes sense, due to it's tolerance for constant movement.
I will have to check on the new CD chainplates and see if they solve the issue of that slight movement or if they just move along with the chainplates.
One thing that I will say is that the shrouds are strong on these boats compared to a lot of others out on our lake.

Thanks for the inspiration !
Thanks, but I was inspired by others in the past. That is what makes this boat great....that info from others and the available parts.
I've got a plastic mirror on the foreward side, and I plan on adding additional storage if needed. For now, the toilet paper is in the locker under the bunk in front of the pottie. I may put a door on the front of that locker, so I don't have to move the cushion to access it. But I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet.
Our TP is in a ziploc in the drawer under the shelf for the stove. I can put up a curtain to cover the v-berth but it's better to leave it out of the way for ventilation when it's hot out. So, even though we have not used the pottie... yet, it is ready for anyone... we are within 5 minutes of a shore bathroom with sinks and flush toilets usually on our lake. So, I use the v-berth to store the three foresail bags that I have. This year finally, I decided to leave the square part of the v-berth cushion that covers the potty at home. We don't sleep aboard and if we did, we would be over the table or the starboard settee.

Cheers !

Sep 30, 2013
For now, the toilet paper is in the locker under the bunk in front of the pottie. I may put a door on the front of that locker, so I don't have to move the cushion to access it. But I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet.

Cheers !
I hung an ordinary toilet paper roller from the ceiling directly above that locker. Works well. Spare roll in a ziploc in the locker.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Just for storage. The cushions are kept in the house.
I'm leaning towards the same thing.
Moving the v-berth panel that sits above the portapottie, and storing it on the boat is a PITA.
You also get easy access to the lockers under the bed, and a bit more vertical space.

What do you use to keep the gear from sliding around on the bare fibreglass ?
Cargo nets could be a good solution against the hull on either side.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
fwiw, we're never going to sleep in the v-berth on a pre-86 c22, good storage though, so the 2 cushions there will stay for now, hey, the dog or grandkids may sleep/fit there. When we sleep on board it will be on the dinette put down, and the quarter berth. Those other cushions and boards (over portapottie) will be outta there and in the garage....

Question, why the hell is there a stbd quarter berth cushion extending all the way to the transom, under the stbd laz??? maybe to cushion an extra anchor, some wet fenders & line, some wet heavy weather gear, some wet dock lines....???

That long one will likely go to the garage as well, my legs aren't that long, even with the improvised galley forward of that...thoughts?

Sep 30, 2013
The boat is SO much bigger and more user friendly without the V berth cushions. And the look is easy to get used to, especially if you paint the locker covers to match the gel coat.

We have cargo nets up high on either side, which we use almost exclusively for rolled-up beach towels. The way the Admiral packs all our other things in the V berth, stuff doesn't move around much - surprisingly, I admit. I did install pad eyes along the liner on each side so I could bungee things in place, but we seldom use them. One exception being the Yeti, I keep that bungeed, all the way forward.

I'm leaning towards the same thing.
Moving the v-berth panel that sits above the portapottie, and storing it on the boat is a PITA.
You also get easy access to the lockers under the bed, and a bit more vertical space.

What do you use to keep the gear from sliding around on the bare fibreglass ?
Cargo nets could be a good solution against the hull on either side.

Sep 30, 2013
Question, why the hell is there a stbd quarter berth cushion extending all the way to the transom, under the stbd laz??? maybe to cushion an extra anchor, some wet fenders & line, some wet heavy weather gear, some wet dock lines....???
That cushion doesn't go to the transom, it stops at the forward end of the battery locker. ;) It's still ludicrously long though.

I dunno about storing heavy/wet stuff on a cushion ... we store headsails and crib boards back in there, along with my gym bag of clothes (since that's "my" berth anyway).

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene...moot and off topic, but along the stbd side on our 84 from the forward bulkhead aft, there are 3 cushions, one where the fwd home made galley sits now, another from that point aft to the rear bulkhead (usable for sleeping), and a third from that bulkhead all the way aft to the transom including the stbd laz space, all original factory. That long third one is staying in the garage, that's good storage space for all kinds of gear, the wet stuff reference was tongue n cheek....

Sep 30, 2013
Gene...moot and off topic, but along the stbd side on our 84 from the forward bulkhead aft, there are 3 cushions, one where the fwd home made galley sits now, another from that point aft to the rear bulkhead (usable for sleeping), and a third from that bulkhead all the way aft to the transom including the stbd laz space, all original factory. That long third one is staying in the garage, that's good storage space for all kinds of gear, the wet stuff reference was tongue n cheek....
Fascinating - so, when you open that starboard lazarette, you have a CUSHION down in there?? That's nuts, I wonder how many boats were built that way, and why? I guess small children could be placed in there if they misbehave ... or maybe a pet leprechaun could sleep in there? LOL

Where is your battery located?

When I open the same hatch, it's basically a cavern, the bottom of which follows the curvature of the hull, extending down and underneath the cockpit floor, to about the centerline of the boat. There is a small shelf molded into the liner to hold a group 24 battery - right where you have a cushion, if I'm getting this right?

This is the only pic I have on hand ... don't laugh at my wiring:

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene...yea, that cushion is nuts for sure!...when I first opened the stbd laz it was a whiskey-tango-foxtrot moment! Its the full length of the stbd cockpit seat including the laz.
I'll take a pic b4 I pull it outta the boat this weekend...

We have no panel in the laz like your shows, just wide open from trnsm to cabin port and stbd.

I like how you have all your safety stuff together and handy

Factory battery tray on our 84 is just port of the volcano, under the companionway step...

Last edited: