First time on the water with my 146

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
all went well until retrieving. For reasons a cannot understand, I cannot get the boat onto the trailer the same as when launched. When winching up the boat, had trouble getting the D-ring to clear the V rest on the front of the trailer. We lifted the bow up high enough to clear the ring, but now the bow does not touch the forward bunk on the trailer. Ideas?
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is a light boat and by picking the ring over the bow stop you are lifting the bow. What you may need is to adjust the position of the bow stop in the trailer or run the ring below the stop. You will need to be tying the boat down with straps anyways so it will be OK.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
had trouble getting the D-ring to clear the V rest on the front of the trailer
Maybe due to an especially steep ramp? Adding some sort of additional bunk or roller forward of what is on there now can help this. The new loading roller or bunk may not even contact the hull when the boat and trailer are pulled out of the water, it just helps loading when the ramp is very steep.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Had a helluva time trying to get the bow against the rest. Tried threading the winch strap below and above the V rest, and the D-ring would always pull into the rest. Once we got it out of the water, we lifted the bow up so the D-ring cleared the the V rest. As shown. I think, not positive, that this is why the bow does not rest on the bunk. As shown. I have to drive back home today. The rest of the boat is well strapped down. Do you guys see any problem with pulling the trailer with the boat secured like this? Once I get home, I will reposition the V rest. What a PITA.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Why not just raise the front bunk to support the hull and unload the V rest and bow eye.. ?? Or move the V rest up or down as necessary to make it work..

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Yeah, I just don't get what's changed. The boat sat of the trailer fine yesterday.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Got home ok. I propped up the bow a bit to relieve the stress on the D-ring. Saw something red fly off in the rear view mirror about 30 miles from San Francisco. Turned out it was a tail light.... oh well, this was a shake out trip. I just didn't realize so many things would shake out... or off.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you post a photo of the winch stand in its entirety along with a side view of the boat sitting on the trailer. I will then chime in as well making suggestions but two have already been mentioned. Not sure if the bow hull support is indentating the forward section of the hull .

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Can you post a photo of the winch stand in its entirety along with a side view of the boat sitting on the trailer. I will then chime in as well making suggestions but two have already been mentioned. Not sure if the bow hull support is indentating the forward section of the hull .
Sure Dave, thanks. I'll send it out later today. Has occurred to me that the previous owner, the only owner, has never trailered this boat outside of surface streets. Just to a local lagoon or occasional jaunts into the the SF Bay a few miles from his home. I was going to take the boat to a trailer shop to have to sort it out. But maybe you can spot the issues with the way the boat sits on the trailer. Am def going to mount goal posts on the trailer. Keeping the boat aligned at the dock was difficult and I was on a lake.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@SFKjeld
I think the winchstand with the V block is upside down. Flip it and get V up above the bow eye. Secondly when traveling tie off the winch handle in case the locking mechaninsm on the winch comes loose. Finally add either a chain or secondary line from winch stand to bow eye as a back up source in the event the winch strap comes loose, breaks and so on.

As for the front of the hull resting against the block, another clearer photo please.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I gotta tell you, when I was on the ramp I tried both ways. Winch strap above and below the V stop. Either way, when I winched up the boat, the D-ring would come right up to the V stop. I couldn't get it past no matter what I tried. Wound up having some friend lift the bow high enough for me to put the spacer in to hold the D-ring above the stop. I don't know how I'd ever get it below.

I wonder if I had the trailer in too deep? Maybe the boat sat too high? Maybe that is why the D-ring wouldn't winch in under the V stop.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You need to invert the entire winch arm as I call it and adjust it highter. you may also may have hit it on the nailhead going in too fare. Instead of sailing, go practice launching. That is one thing many try to go sailing from the very first without practicing first and that includes mast raising.