H410 rigging replacement

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
Hi All
Its that unfortunate time when the rigging has to be replaced I have gotten 17 years of service out of it. So I can't complain.

I'd like to see what others have experienced (thing to watch for) and Ball Park costs that you incurred. We are here is Oz so everything is over the top in price. It might be the case that we can import it made up from the US. Your input would be appreciated
Cheers
Steve

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve, this a self project or are you hiring a rigger?

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
Steve, this a self project or are you hiring a rigger?
Sorry for the slow reply. It was a 50/50. We pull the mast and i refurbished everything whilst. Rigger did all the main wires, i laboured. Learnt a lot from being hands on. Took 2.5 days from start to finsh. Cost about $7500aus including crain. Thats also replaceing some halards, deck spot lights, masthead, & steamimg lights to LEDs.

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
Now we have broke a prop blade. Wtf how does that happen we haven't hit anything.
So what to replace the prop with is the big question. Only had the standard 2 blade set up. Any suggestions lol

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
To gunner thanks for the tip on seco. When they found out we were in Australia they lost interest and didnt respond with a quote

Oct 22, 2014
Steve. That's a pretty fair cost. I paid a bit more but had to replace the wood spreaders with new aluminum, redesigned the halyard arrangement, added rigging for a cutter rig and used HiMod system on the lower end of rigging discarding the all the old system. This added to the costs yet gives future flexibility to the systems.
Once done it really feels and sails better. Had my boat out first time in 18-20 knot breeze and enjoyed a sense of solid performance.
Fair winds for you and your projects.

Sorry have no experience with prop repair. I have looked at props and find the MaxProp tri-blade interesting. If I experience a prop challenge this one would be high on my list for consideration. http://www.pyiinc.com/max-prop.html

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a Flex o fold three blade. Very little prop walk. My only issue was the guy at Flex 0 fold did not size the blades correctly and it cost me an additional $1,000 to get the correct blades.

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
Hi its a toss up between flex o fold & slipstream.

I asume sailgunner your on a 410. What was the correct size?

Feb 24, 2017
Hunter 41 ac Melb
I'm also in Aus and own a h41. I need to replace my rigging. I've had some quotes around 10k. I tried to get some prices from the US and didn't get any replies.

Oct 22, 2014
Jack, Not sure whom you contacted, but you might give these guys a try... http://www.rigrite.com/WEBstuff/Shipping.php
The were pretty prompt when I contacted them about a quote. They will want to know what your looking for so a bit of research on your end is needed. Lengths, type and sizes of wire. What type of fittings you are planning.
Their web sight is pretty straight forward.

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
I'm also in Aus and own a h41. I need to replace my rigging. I've had some quotes around 10k. I tried to get some prices from the US and didn't get any replies.
Hi Jack are you still looking? If yes I can help I had the same issue with US once they learn we were is oz they dropped us like a cold pie.

Nov 30, 2010
hunter 410 nsw
Thanks Dave we have now located a provider in australia that knows Hunters and does a great job on rigging at a fare price. We have also solved our prop issue by going with a kiwi prop. What a difference do they make. I will get a spare fixed prop from you before we sail to Vanautu always save to have a spare with all those reefs.
Just in case anyone is interested the old two blade broke due to electolisesz, we put it down to too much time in marinas hooked up to shore power with bad circuits. Totally changed the composition of the metal.