South African "Catalina" 22

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I thought I may figure out how to do this and show you what I purchased! In short a 70's something, seriously neglected for the last 8 years, previously poorly maintained Jaguar 22.

These are photos of what the PO advertised the boat with.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So I'm slowly learning this posting thing and converting pictures.

I had inspected several trailer sailers and poured over many photo's till choosing this boat. It was however up country about 1500klm away from me so I had to go by pictures and verbal discussions. I wanted the boat as it suited my sailing desires. My friend and I left my place , Fish Hoek south of Cape Town, around 6pm-ish, drove through the night to get to Benoni, east of Johannesburg, to collect a double axle flatbed trailer to load the boat onto in order to tow it back to my house. We arrived around 10-ish Saturday morning, collected the hire trailer and made our way via GPS to where the boat had been standing for the last 8 years totally neglected. We spent the whole of the Saturday loading it, boat and boat trailer, onto the flatbed. What a hell of a task that I will never do again. We had driven all night and loaded all day in the blazing sun without rest or sleep!

Here's some pictures of first sight and inspection followed by loading. Exactly a year ago to date. And two very tired men ready for steak and beers for supper!

Edited: 24/08/2017: Added a video of the loading and some part of towing back home!

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I like that stem fitting/anchor roller.
+1

Totally different configuration for attaching the stays to the deck.
Do 2 of them attach to chainplates which tie into the bulkhead ?

Also has a tabernacle style mast step, which should make mast raising easier.
Different mast and boom too.

Nice truck by the way.

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
+1

Totally different configuration for attaching the stays to the deck.
Do 2 of them attach to chainplates which tie into the bulkhead ?

Also has a tabernacle style mast step, which should make mast raising easier.
Different mast and boom too.

Nice truck by the way.
My boat had no bulkheads at all. Evidence of bulkheads due to screw holes but no actual bulkheads. Casualties of attrition/neglect probably.

The upper shrouds have fixing points down in the bilge areas. You can see however in the picture that only the port side was actually in place... starboard side missing? I will be using this method to secure the upper shrouds when I put the rigging deck fittings in place. Still have to sand down the entire deck and repaint due to extensive crazing/cracking in the original gel coat.

This is the picture of the boat after I had spent two days cleaning it out with a high pressure jet spray machine, buckets of soapy water and plenty of elbow grease.

The results were "nice from far but far from nice" :meh:

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The upper shrouds have fixing points down in the bilge areas.
On the North American boats, the upper shroud chainplates go through the deck and are bolted to the bulkheads, which are bolted with small bolts (#10 ?) into the fiberglass interior liner. They don't do down to the bilge at all.
The other shrouds go to eyebolts mounted to plates deck that end at the deck. Catalina Direct has an upgrade kit for the early NA models. They also have an improved upper should chainplate, for the new style boats, where the deck mounting flange is actually attached to the chainplate, as opposed to simply sliding through it.

How were the upper shroud chainplates tied into the bilge on your boat?
I assume that the other shrouds just terminate at the deck, like our boats ?

Assuming your boat has not been modified, it looks like the Jaguar 22 had a totally different rig, though it is likely of the same dimensions. Even the windows/ports in the hull are different (assuming they were not modified by a previous owner).

This would make a great article for the Catalina 22 Sailing Association. Hey have done them for the New Style, and Mk2 models, to show the difference from the original NA built design.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
On the North American boats, the upper shroud chainplates go through the deck and are bolted to the bulkheads, which are bolted with small bolts (#10 ?) into the fiberglass interior liner. They don't do down to the bilge at all.
The other shrouds go to eyebolts mounted to plates deck that end at the deck. Catalina Direct has an upgrade kit for the early NA models. They also have an improved upper should chainplate, for the new style boats, where the deck mounting flange is actually attached to the chainplate, as opposed to simply sliding through it.

How were the upper shroud chainplates tied into the bilge on your boat?
I assume that the other shrouds just terminate at the deck, like our boats ?
Upper shrouds: There seems to be a welded tab onto a piece of flat bar that has been glassed into the structure of the hull in the bilge area port and starboard. When I collected the boat there was only one "tie rod" if I can call it that, fitted between the deck fitting and the bilge tab. Who knows what happened to the one on the starboard side.

Other shrouds: Yes they were just secured to the deck, some without even a backing plate which were actuall pulling the washers and nuts through the laminate on the inside. A disaster waiting to happen and definitely would not have withstood the sailing conditions in my local bay.

My boat did not have any bulkheads as mentioned previously however I do intend to make new ones and fit then in. The shroud "tie rods" plates thingy-ma-jigs will then be passing in front of the bulkheads.

Not sure why the pictures are on there sides though!

Attachments

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Hi Greg_M

Could I use your write-up above and photographs in the next issue of the Catalina 22 MainBrace? Seeing pictures of a rare Jaguar 22 would be something many other C22 owners in the US would enjoy seeing. Plus, having it in MainBrace allows us to capture some history here. Please advise if you will please grant me permission.

Thank you,

Rich Fox
Editor - Catalina 22 National Sailing Association

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The chainplates being tied into the bilge makes much more sense than simply bolting them to the bulkhead, like the Catalina built boats.
Evidently on older catalina boats, when the bulkheads start to deteriorate, you can see them move upwards when tacking.

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Hi Greg_M

Could I use your write-up above and photographs in the next issue of the Catalina 22 MainBrace? Seeing pictures of a rare Jaguar 22 would be something many other C22 owners in the US would enjoy seeing. Plus, having it in MainBrace allows us to capture some history here. Please advise if you will please grant me permission.

Thank you,

Rich Fox
Editor - Catalina 22 National Sailing Association
Hi Rich

Wow, I'm very flattered and humbled at the thought of my old boat being a topic of interest. Of course you may use the photos and the write up. If you can advise me a DropBox address I can put the original photo's in it as the photo's loaded here are reduced for posting in the forum.

Rgrds

Greg

greg_m

May 23, 2017
The chainplates being tied into the bilge makes much more sense than simply bolting them to the bulkhead, like the Catalina built boats.
Evidently on older catalina boats, when the bulkheads start to deteriorate, you can see them move upwards when tacking.
Wow, the only thing I want to see moving is my boat through the water! I must say I do like the "open plan" look of the boat without the bulk heads but that then makes the seating at the table less comfortable as well as the use of a Potti a little on the display side of things!

So a bulkhead for seat back rest/partition is on the drawing board as it were... trying to make up a template at the moment with scrap wood.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
The first weekend after I got my boat off loaded in my front yard at home I decided to empty it completely and then clean it thoroughly... It took the whole weekend, lots of soapy water, wet/dry vacuum and elbow grease. I try present the photos in a logical... this is first inspection photos after emptying out all the "treasures" left by the PO. So from the cockpit, opening the hatch to climbing in and just looking around

Attachments

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Greg-

Thank you!
The photographs attached on this Forum are actually quite good to use. I would have to reduce them for MainBrace so that the publication is more easily downloaded in the PDF formatted version. If OK with you, I will do a write-up based on your postings to this thread, and of course credit the source and pictures back to you. Look for them in the September C22 MainBrace publication that will be available September 1 at www.catalina22.org.

Thank you,

Rich Fox
Editor
Catalina 22 National Sailing Association

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Look after the Teak on your boats guys - it's hugely expensive to replace the external teak parts that were so badly sun rotted that they were non-salvageable. I need to replace the hand railings, hatch cover sliding rails and the lee board mounting rails.

Works out to the same as buying a new 6hp outboard motor!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I do like the "open plan" look of the boat without the bulk heads but that then makes the seating at the table less comfortable as well as the use of a Potti a little on the display side of things!
The portapotti issue is one reason I modified my 87 to have a full height bulkhead on the port side.
The full height bullkhead also gives me a place to mount things like a plastic mirror, future shelves, etc.

Take a look at my refit thread for some ideas, if you haven't. I got my galley modification ideas from @watercolors II . I took his ideas and made a few changes for my own needs. (like the mandatory tea kettle, french press, and wine glass storage) It will work great once it's complete.

Some people have also built new bulkheads that were smaller, but which still capable of being tied into the chainplates. Of course that gets back to the "problems" you mention.

I wish I had seen your boat before I redid my bulkheads. I'd have been very tempted to tie my chainplates all the way down into the bilge.

it's hugely expensive to replace the external teak parts that were so badly sun rotted that they were non-salvageable.
My handrails on the cabintop were cracked, and I built my own. I got lucky and found some plantation teak at a store for a very reasonable price. No need to use teak though. Check out the http://www.wood-database.com/
for detailed info on whichever wood you use for your bulkheads, exterior trim etc.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I like that stem fitting/anchor roller.
Hi Gene

Just got through watching you and "say hi baby" sailing in the North West Florida region. Really nice video so don't worry about the diting side of things... great to see the boat on "open" waters that seem very similar to what happens in False Bay here.

My boat does not have a pop top and looking at the coach roof the other day I'm very tempted to modify my coach roof! But after replacing the deck core I'm not so keen...

Keep videos coming... I enjoy the virtual escape they provide.

Fair winds and happy sailing days ahead for all fellow sailors!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
So after thoroughly cleaning the boat and assessing it my plan was:
  1. Replace window frames and plexiglass windows
  2. Sand down the hull for repainting
  3. Sand down the deck for repainting and non-skid
  4. Repair and or replace old rotted wood work.
No problem - One months work :dancing:

I started with the windows - portholes. Although the PO had given me the original aluminium frames and plate glass windows these proved completely unusable due to corrosion, bad treatment by whoever worked on the boat and the glass panels were in fact broken!

To get new frames from aluminium was cost wise out of the question so I made a plan to replace the frames with the same type of window rubber beading used in the local pickup truck canopy manufacturing industry and new pieces of plexiglass.

Rigtho then... NOT!

Problem was the unexpected gap between the inner lining and the deck structure of the coach roof. The rubber beading needs a solid 6mm wide flat surface to be seated onto. So I then set about modifying the window portholes by cutting away the inner lining around the perimeter of the porthole.

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
After cutting away the perimeter section I then needed to remove the paint and what I saw was a substantial layer of "auto spray filler primer" to expose bare fibreglass for the new glass work to adhere to. It's then that I saw the original gel coat colour is a very light creme almost pale yellow colour. Man was I ever so itchy after this...

Don't ask about the last picture... it just happens!

Attachments