Another one followed me home - could be that perfect day sailer?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Vagabond 17, designed by Ron Holder. seems like a SO much larger boat, but only 950lb displacement with 345b swing keel. fairly flat bottom and VERY stable. sails like a much larger boat. 147 sq ft of sail. sitting headroom in cabin and sleeps up to 4 adults (not that I'd want to). New toys are SO much fun ;)
P1050320.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You need to be careful standing about in the marina. You never know what might follow you home.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Based on the rigging in the picture, the PO really knew how to SAIL that thing.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
so its true.. boats do actually follow people home! Ive tried explaining this phenomenon to my wife and she insists that its not the boats but that I have a problem... she nearly had me convinced.
its a relief to hear others have experienced this also, but it is true that I need to be wary when getting near a boat that is for sale, and I have to keep looking over my shoulder as Im walking away, cuz there are some boats that I just dont want following me home...
my wife is always on the lookout too as she knows im a boat magnet, and with the slightest bit of charm I get a twinkle in my eye, and the boat follows no matter if we want it to or not... its a curse.

the boat that followed you is a good looking little one... and they cost less to feed than the big ones.;)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
smiled at the name
I forgot to ask where that name came from. I know it's been that for at least 10 years.
Based on the rigging in the picture, the PO really knew how to SAIL that thing.
I believe so. he had in his CL add that the boat has "all the sail control systems you could imagine" . ;)
Apparently they do very well in their class of boats also. the PO of this one hung with the Potter guys who just had a cruise challenge (all makes) last weekend. A similar V17 came in second place, a minute behind a Sage 17 captained by Jerry Montgomery. I don't plan to race this one, but I do like to be able to keep up ;) .

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I think the Vagabond 17 is an adorable little boat. A bit boxy, but cute nonetheless. There's one in the slip across the dock from mine this year. Last year I had a Newport 17 across the dock. Not nearly as sweet looking as the Vagabond 17.

Ron Holder also designed the Holder/Hobie 20. It's a bit faster than the Vagabond, but not nearly as comfortable overall.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I think the Vagabond 17 is an adorable little boat. A bit boxy, but cute nonetheless. There's one in the slip across the dock from mine this year. Last year I had a Newport 17 across the dock. Not nearly as sweet looking as the Vagabond 17.

Ron Holder also designed the Holder/Hobie 20. It's a bit faster than the Vagabond, but not nearly as comfortable overall.
Yes, when Hobie bought the rights to the Vagabond 17, they also hired Ron Holder as a designer.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Tossed the mast up today and raised the sails. spent some time getting familiar with all the gizmos. I like the way the po has the rigging set up, and figure it should be very easy to solo. love the full batten sails, as they roll up next to the boom really easily, and the whole works goes into a zippered bag for easy stowage. wondering about the way the rear edge of the sail crowds the backstay however :what: and am considering building an extended bracket on the mast top to bring the backstay back a couple more inches.
P1050325.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Backstay isn't as much a problem with wind in the sails, creating some camber, which shortens the length, and twists off, so it stays out of the way of the backstay. My full length batten at the top of the sail catches on my topping lift sometimes, and rarely on the backstay.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You're all heart jackdaw. thanks. :kick:
That vagabond looks a very cool little boat. But the Holder 20 will run absolute circles around it! Different type of boat.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks for fixing. Ha! I would love to have a Holder 20, but I've had the kind of boat where you sit ON it, as opposed to in it. I rather enjoy my cockpit now. Although... to have a boat like the Holder 20 just to campaign for racing, then it would be ok. (The side decks are the seats in the H-20.) There are a couple at our lake, and I got to go out on a decrepit H-20, with loose rigging, and a delaminating jib. The thing is still fast, and made it feel like we were short-tacking on the wide part of the lake ('cos it was so fast.) I bet it would be super fun in more wind on a bigger body of water. But, if I became independently wealthy, with unlimited boat bux and storage, I'd probably just opt for a new J/70 instead.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
That vagabond looks a very cool little boat. But the Holder 20 will run absolute circles around it! Different type of boat.
Different type of boat indeed! apples and oranges in fact. I haven't seen the V17 listed on any PHRF sites, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a match for the H20 at 180 :laugh:
However..... For the purpose I purchased the V17 I haven't seen many that even come close to it. I'm replacing my awesome little Victoria 18 because Jennifer feels uncomfortable on it. since her chemo and ongoing cancer battle she's very unsteady and needs to stay out of the sun as much as possible. the Victoria is initially "tippy" for her and the cabin is too small to feel comfortable kicking back in. the V17, on the other hand, feels more like the best 20+ footers. truly amazing for a 17' boat. I'll miss the little Vic 18, but I gotta keep the admiral happy or she gets mean :)
We still love our M25 BTW and do plan to keep it for extended trips. the V17 will be our easy set up day tripper. maybe I need a "race" boat now to?!?!? I'll check with the Admiral on that one :laugh:

Last edited: