Foot bracing?

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I don't know what the blue bracing running on the floor of the cockpit is called. The sailer uses it to hook is his feet in when heeling. Seems like a good idea.
IMG_1555.JPG

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
They are called Hiking Straps. On smaller unballasted daysailers they are not only a good idea but a necessity to keep the boat upright and sailing fast!

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I found 27" generic hiking straps. But usually they are sold by boat model. And I haven't seen any for Hunters, including in the Hunter store. I'll probably order one and try to make it work.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Due to the construction, I would not recommend hiking straps but this boat will sail faster flatter. In other words, you do not need to heel more than 12-14 degrees thru use of sail handling.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like every sailboat ever made, hiking will increase the righting moment, allowing the boat to sail flatter and faster.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jackdaw
My concern is the anchoring safely of a hiking strap with this style construction boat. Concur with you on your assessment but it is the 3/16 inch ACP skin over construction foam as I call it with wood blocks encapsulated in the foam which concerns me. Folks I will admit the designs of the daysailors I liked but was concerned with the construction over fiberglass.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw
My concern is the anchoring safely of a hiking strap with this style construction boat. Concur with you on your assessment but it is the 3/16 inch ACP skin over construction foam as I call it with wood blocks encapsulated in the foam which concerns me. Folks I will admit the designs of the daysailors I liked but was concerned with the construction over fiberglass.
Totally agree.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Yeah, while I read extensively about these APC boats, I will probably regret buying one. It's gonna be a PITA. I bought it from the original owner in San Mateo, Ca. The boat has never been out of the Bay Area so I figured no temp extremes, so no cracks. Certainly none on the boat that I could find. Hope to get it on the water tomorrow. As a less than athletic 64 year old, will have to see how important the straps will be for me. Guessing they would be nice.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I found on the hunter daysailors I sailed faster flatter due to the design and felt hiking straps were not necessary but a hindrance in the cockpit if on any of them but what I stated previously, there is nothing more to say.