Trailer Towing - How do you secure the Hunter 140?

Oct 26, 2011
Hunter 140 Petoskey, MI
My Hunter 140 did not come with a trailer, but I purchased a nice Shore Land'r off of Craigslist. Currently, when I trailer my Hunter 140, I use ratcheting straps around the stern to put downward pressure on the boat to keep it on the trailer. I also do one in the forward section near where the side stays attach. What are others doing?

I wish the bow had a D Ring that I could use to attach to the winch on the trailer and two stern D Rings to use short straps to attach to the rear bottom of the trailer like traditional fiberglass power boats utilize.

I've ordered a replacement V Block for the bow. I'm considering taking the winch "mast" to a welder to have it extended so I could winch the boat forward with the forestay base. Is that a bad idea?

Here are some pictures:
http://www.tarq.us/tmp/Hunter140-02.jpg
http://www.tarq.us/tmp/Hunter140-01.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
There are a couple of pics in the Boat Info section showing a strap across the beam (behind the trailer wheels) and the winch mounted at deck level. The winch strap appears to attach to the forestay stem plate. There is also a bumper pad, for lack of a better description below the winch which the bow is pulled forward to.
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/album/album.php?task=model&mid=10

Oct 26, 2011
Hunter 140 Petoskey, MI
Based on those pictures it looks like I'm on the right track. Looks like I should have a welder make my winch mast taller so I can winch the boat forward (at deck level) and into the V-Block.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'd not use the ratchet straps. Too easy to make too tight, even if your careful someone else may be helping you and not realize they can be too tight.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@usererror
Maybe a private message from you to me for some advice and include boat and phone. I know the construction of the boat all too well. You can ask who I am on the forum.

crazy dave condon

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I thought the 140 came with a bow eye for hooking to the boat. I would not secure to the chain plate for the forestay. There is a way but take a long time to discuss. Be glad to talk with you. In addition I used 3/8 yacht braid to secure the back end of the boat with carpet over the gunnels. As for a strap over the foredeck, never suggested that but advocated against that as it will damage the boat. If using a strap, you will need to put a cloth material against the boat to prevent indentation and scratching but just be careful not to over tighten. As for bungee chords, don't even think that route

Oct 26, 2011
Hunter 140 Petoskey, MI
From the little bit of 'research' I've done, the Hunter 146 came with a bow D Ring (maybe I just need to upgrade my boat :) ). I used to manage a mini fleet of five Hunter 140's and to moor them, we would wrap the mooring line around the forestay and clip it back to a loop in in the mooring line. We never had a problem doing it that way, even with storms. The mooring line was braided line, so it did not damage the hulls.

Oct 26, 2011
Hunter 140 Petoskey, MI
My new straps ordered from the store on this site came in. I like these much better, thank you for the tips! Now I can keep the other ones in the utility trailer box. :)