Stringer material

Jul 26, 2017
Catalina 22 West Sac
What year did Catalina change out their stringer from Plywood to fiberglass.

I have a 1974 catalina 22 and the boat is dry and I am impressed with the fiber glass. I need to take a closer look at the transom and the stringer. I know what to look for in the transom. I do not know how to look and see if the stringer is okay or not. Does anyone know what year Catalina change from Plywood to Fiberglass. I hope it was 1974!

Thanks all.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
What year did Catalina change out their stringer from Plywood to fiberglass.

I have a 1974 catalina 22 and the boat is dry and I am impressed with the fiber glass. I need to take a closer look at the transom and the stringer. I know what to look for in the transom. I do not know how to look and see if the stringer is okay or not. Does anyone know what year Catalina change from Plywood to Fiberglass. I hope it was 1974!

Thanks all.
Hi Scott

I think our boats are exactly the same in terms of vintage but mine was built SA under license, called a Jaguar 22 here. If you are talking about the part where the hull and deck joins as the "stringer" then I can confirm that my boat still uses plywood. I realize different continents and different manufacturers but a class built under license has to conform to original specs.

I have completely cut away the inner lining and completely separated my hull and deck joint to clean it out and re-seal it... however I went one step further... completely epoxy bonded the joint and epoxy glass taped it over outside and inside. So I got to see these parts naked as it were!

I also completely cut away original inner lining around the entire transom and rear cockpit "wall" to install a full width plywood laminate and beef up the rudder support area. When I removed the rudder pintles from the hull due to corroded galvanized bolts installed by PO then I saw a rotted piece of ply wood that literally fell out of place sliding down into the cavity between liner and hull. I found nothing supporting the motor mounts when I removed them for same bolt reason other than air space between inner lining and hull. Not good enough for me... out with the oscillating tool and round saw blade!

Jul 26, 2017
Catalina 22 West Sac
Greg_m. Thanks for the info. As for the transom I need to pull an engine mount bolt out to see the condition. I am scard to do this!!!!

As for the stringer, it's the center support or back bone of the boat that runs Down the bottom center of the hull. My understanding is there may be two running on each side of the swing hull. It gives the boat ridigidness.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The hull is solid hand-laid fiberglass.
Some Mark I models had plywood stringers, which can rot.
The deck is fiberglass sandwich with a plywood core.

One forum member actually had ants living in rotten plywood stringers in the hull.

The New Design C22's of the mid 80's and up, have NO coring below the waterline.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017
Catalina 22 West Sac
That's what I assumed but wish it wasn't so. Any way to check these stringers if they are there under the fiberglass?

Apr 17, 2011
Catalina 22 #7230 Iowa City, Iowa
So I have owned and worked on two bow riders which both had rotten stringers (longitudinal frame members) and rotten transom that was the rear frame essentially of the boat and carried the weight of a big motor. I also have a 12 ft dinghy saiboat and my 1977 Catalina 22. I don't think either of my sailboats have the same framing needs as my bowriders did and while there is some bonding between the hull and inner liner, I dont think there are stringers as such. Here are picture of a 1974 Catalina that was being parted out (not by me). I bought the trailer and when I saw this I took the opportunity to take these pictures that I posted on the Cat 22 FB page last summer. Look these over and see if they answer some of the questions. Note the notches he cut in the rear area of the boat. I hope this helps.
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
OMG!....now thats the way to inspect the construction of your boat... just chop it up. Fantastic photos of very seldom seen parts. I see the built in floatation question was answered in some of the photos for me as well as the hull liner details.

From what I saw of the ply wood that was completely rotted and bug infested along my boats decks I am therefore assuming the worst of the "stringers" you guys are talking about. :eek:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Send an email to Gerry Douglas at Catalina. He should know
I contacted Catalina a year ago, about this because I though it would be valuable to the forum and the C22 association.

Dani Monterosso cc'd Gerry with my question about coring and wood locations on the C22, C22 New Design, and C22 mk2. I never got a response from him or their engineering department.

I'll contact her again and see what happens.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017
Hunter, Catalina Hunter 23.5, CATALINA 22' MK 1 POP TOP Woodstock, GA
Hi, I currently have a small Catalina Capri 14.2 and am looking at a 1973 22' MK 1 POP TOP CATALINA. From the pic ( one) the boat looks good, but after reading all I could find on the internet about it I have grown concerned mostly about my ability to discern the integrity of the stringers, and their propensity to rot. I can handle some projects - recently applied new gelcoat to the 14.2 but dealing with stringers would be beyond me for certain.

From all that I have read, I can't confirm if wood was used for the stringers in 1973, or if it was fiberglass.
If anyone could answer that for me, I would appreciate it. Also, advice on how best (where) can I access the stringers to look at them, would be helpful. I did find a great buyer's guide that will walk me through inspecting hull/deck, keel/rudder, interior, mast/boom/ rigging and sails but is was silent on the stringers.

I have not seen the boat yet since its 2 hours away. Owner wants $ 2,900 after coming down from initial asking price ( I would appreciate opinion on that too.). It does come with a motor.

Thank you, Tim

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Judging from the picture, the boat appears to have been well cared for. That stripe is not original, but if it is as well done as 20' away indicates, it's probably a sound unit.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
WOW full canvass & good bottom paint etc.. I would say it's better than many as far as initial inspection goes at 20 feet. The C22 buyers guide is a great resource but it sounds like you already found that. As for the price check out the pricing guide as well here. the asking price seems fair if it were in my area but I don't know about GA prices.

https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/download-files?folder=C22_Buyers_Guide

I highly recommend the tech manual if you do get the boat as it will answer most of the question you may have and then some.

As for the stringers it is my understanding that they are not accessible at any point without cutting into the glass. I have never heard of one needing inspection unless major core rot was found upon the initial inspection. However I am no guru here and others may have different opinions.

With the buyers guide inspection items I would say you could judge very well if the boat is sound or not.

And welcome to the fourm

Dec 22, 2017
Hunter, Catalina Hunter 23.5, CATALINA 22' MK 1 POP TOP Woodstock, GA
Thank you Meriachee and Lakeshark,

Your feedback makes me know it is worthwhile to at least make the trip to investigate further. One thing that helped me lean towards this boat, over a 19' Starwind in the area, is the larger body of owners, like you, that are willing to share their knowledge and experience. So, I thank you for that and if I buy this boat I am excited to be member of this forum.

Now I'm going to go study the Buyer's Guide, and I will look for the tech manual

Tim

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Tim, welcome to the party!
As said, looks good from the one pic, well worth the drive....keep us posted, price is fine IMO w/decent trailer & motor IF it passes your inspection and sails are fair to good.

Suggest you read the many threads here, everything that goes wrong or needs to be repaired has been covered on the forum, and plenty of C22ers here to talk you thru whatever you may stumble on. (no access to stringers that I know of or have heard of)

Cheers!
Ron

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
The only "stringers" that I found in my boat was along the hull deck joint. I have scoured around inside the boat and cannot find any signs of stringers. What I have noted is that the inner lining is sandwhiched/bonded at certain places to the hull. This may be the reason, as well as the hull material original layup is really overkill thick, why I cannot see stringers.