Main traveler car & sheet set-up

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
You see that slot below the lower roller? That is where a plate was attached and the cam cleat goes there.
So, it looks like I need to get some aluminum plates cut, and move my cam cleats. The original location by the traveler blocks looks much better, and easier to use. Also would move my traveler lines away from the lines run to the winches.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
IMAG0141.JPG Dodger 1.jpg Dodger 3.jpg

Reg M - attached are pics of original set up before I installed a dodger and two pics with dodger installed. note from inside the cockpit the blue lines on each side are where I control the traveler from inside the cockpit. There is a vertical opening on each side of the dodger where the line slips thru. What isn't shown in these pics are the re-route of the main sheet which I did afterwards.

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
The setup is fundamentally sound. But the extra block looks like it is held in place with a single wood SCREW. Yikes.
Thanks Jackdaw...image is deceiving, it is a little more secure than a one screw deal, but that said, it is not super sound, so will be checking into how to strengthen. Thanks, Sean

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Chip, Looking at the OP's image it is not clear if the MainSheet is a run through a single block or one with a becket. The OP's traveler looks to be a 3:1 system.

He has a "Snap Shackle" connecting the Mainsheet block to the traveler. :yikes:

My guess he has never seen a snap shackle open on it's own while under strain in a 30knot breeze...

It is more like an explosion. In his case the mainsheet block will be attached to the boom and very well will be swinging with enough speed and force to be considered a "DEADLY WEAPON".

Or maybe it is just me thinking if the worse can happen Murphy will be there to be sure it does.
;) Thanks...I have replaced the snap shackle with a long U-shackle and wired the shank. Cheers, Sean

May 31, 2023
Hunter 27 Lake Texoma
Mine is a little different. Is that the factory traveler?
This is mine
View attachment 138573
I have replaced the line since this picture was taken. Now I need to replace the sheaves.
View attachment 138574
My PO put cam cleats on either side of the boat near the exit from the traveler's blocks. It originally had a continuous line, but it was long, and I kept tripping over it in the cockpit. so I split the line and cut off the excess.

Rather than replace the sheaves, I may switch to larger blocks on the car like yours. My traveler is stiff and sluggish.
Pateco, I realize this is an old post but I've got a situation that you may be able to help me with. Last winter I bought a 1978 Hunter 27 and it has a traveler like yours except mine has sliding pin stops instead of blocks. Last weekend the car on my traveler broke and things quickly got interesting! I need to replace the car but I can't tell who made it. Do you know what brand yours is or where I can get one? Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to attach a photo. I hope it comes out OK. This is my first post!

Attachments

May 31, 2023
Hunter 27 Lake Texoma
Wow I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. I can tell this will be a good forum to belong to. I went to the nearest West Marine yesterday but they acted like they had never seen it before.

I'll keep wandering through images of travelers. That's how I found this one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi @IntoSailingAgain This looks like your beginning with the SBO Forum. Welcome.
Yes that Flying can get in the way of some good sailing.

Your pin based traveler is not unique. Just a bit older and less expensive than than the new infinite adjustable designs.

Your key to resolving your issue is not the traveler but the track it runs on.

Measure the width of the track. Find the track size and shape and you can find several manufacturers that have travelers.
Harken, Ronstan, Schaefer Marine, and Garhauer Marine Hardware to name a couple.

I found a traveler at Fisheries Supply in Seattle for my 50 year old boat using the track dimensions.

May 31, 2023
Hunter 27 Lake Texoma
Hi @IntoSailingAgain This looks like your beginning with the SBO Forum. Welcome.
Yes that Flying can get in the way of some good sailing.

Your pin based traveler is not unique. Just a bit older and less expensive than than the new infinite adjustable designs.

Your key to resolving your issue is not the traveler but the track it runs on.

Measure the width of the track. Find the track size and shape and you can find several manufacturers that have travelers.
Harken, Ronstan, Schaefer Marine, and Garhauer Marine Hardware to name a couple.

I found a traveler at Fisheries Supply in Seattle for my 50 year old boat using the track dimensions.
Thanks John, I'll do that. The underside of my track (where the wheels roll) is angled and I was concerned about that angle not matching up with a different traveler, but I can measure that angle and work out the details with one of the manufacturers you listed. I can keep the simplicity (and affordability) of my pin based traveler - I have more of a cruiser style too. Suddenly this situation doesn't seem so bad!

Will let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Robert

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
My traveler lines come straight back to the cabintop. I switched last year from V-cleats to Spinlock PXR Cam Cleats at the same location. Big improvement. The 1/4” black starboard bases cover unused screw holes from the old cleats.
IMG_3269.jpegIMG_0547.jpeg

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I switched last year from V-cleats to Spinlock PXR Cam Cleats
As long as you have the vertical room to operate this cleat it is a great unit. I have seen them used on dinghy racers. Ideal for lines that you need to adjust quickly. I have my eye on a line that can use one on SV Hadley.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
As long as you have the vertical room to operate this cleat it is a great unit. I have seen them used on dinghy racers. Ideal for lines that you need to adjust quickly. I have my eye on a line that can use one on SV Hadley.
No problem with vertical clearance in this case. I can operate them from the helm. With the old V-cleats, I could in theory, but found I often had to go forward and push the line down further into the cleat or risk having it let go on tacks.