Ah The Fever Is Building

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi Mark
I agree Boat Passage can be fun! You have to know the angle to hit it and time the tide as well ( like most passes in the Islands). That's why I recommended a walk out to Winter Point first. When I kept my first boat at Crescent Beach we entered the Islands that way all the time ( after having that first look from Winter Point) It saves a lot of time when coming from the mainland side. I've taken 7 different boats through there over a period of 50+ years and never had a problem. I think power boaters tend to pay less attention to tides etc then we sailors. ( because we're so slow we have to! )

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We would like to get there early enough to see the grizzly bear cubs this spring then wander slowly south and do the west coast too.
Hi Michael, we went looking for Spirit Bear, but alas the closest we got of a view was from a brochure. We were in their territory, but the locals told us they usually wait until fall to come out of the hills to feed on the salmon runs. Perhaps another time.

Dec 25, 2000
I agree Boat Passage can be fun! You have to know the angle to hit it and time the tide as well ( like most passes in the Islands).
Hi Michael, just looked at the chart and it appears that when approaching from the mainland an easterly entry to Boat Pass would be advisable? Regarding tide state when entering, slack water the best; flood or ebb matter? Any window to worry about? Flood slack would probably be the safest water wise.

Been through Active Pass a number of times both ways and it seems about two knots has been the strongest I've seen. As I recall it has an easterly flood and westerly ebb; opposite for Boat Pass? Chart does not show current direction through Active Pass. I'm assuming that the flood up Swansons Channel would deliver a more aggressive flood through Active than from Georgia Strait, hence the easterly flood. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Boat Passage floods easterly into Georgia Strait. I think for a first timer the best way would be to arrive about an hour before high slack and just point my bow into the middle of the flooding stream. You may not get in for a bit but you will be perfectly lined up. Beware the large rocks off the Samuel Island side. Both Boat and Active have currents in the 8 knot range during spring floods. If Boat Passage looks a little daunting you can turn NW and go around Samuel . Irish Bay on Samuel is also good and an easy dinghy ride to Winter Cove if its to crowded. Samuel is private so you can't go ashore there.

Jan 5, 2017
Hope you come and have a good time! Sorry we'll miss you but I'm sure there will be another time.

Dec 25, 2000
Unsure here. Son's itinerary unknown, so we may miss the BBQ, too. May try Winter Cove just for grins. Always looking for new anchorages to try out. You and your boat getting along okay?

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Looks like just a few little things to-do. Yesterday I spent the day getting the winter green off. I've a new set of taps for the galley and a new fuel pump for the Dickinson heater. The windlass is all stripped down in the garage, cleaned and ready to go back together today. A new - old boat with things to-do!
Sounds like you have the same attitude as I do. If people say it's difficult you "gotta try". If approached with intelligence and caution it's never all that bad!

Dec 25, 2000
Agree Michael. First time into Fisherman's Bay (west side of Lopez, Island) last year for their annual fourth of July celebration. Well worth the trip, but dicey entering the bay. Entrance navigation aids a bit confusing, but our Garmin GPS chart system made the routing job pretty clear. Tide state also an important risk factor with mud and rocks; one rock in particular at the entrance. I could see it just below the surface as I passed by a few feet away.

Jan 5, 2017
And how many of those are there up and down the coast!!!! It's part of what keeps us interested and paying attention. I love going into new places like that.

Dec 25, 2000
That is one of those Whew.... "Got to make a note on the chart!" moments.
Hi John, definitely a "gulp" moment. The rock is charted, but the entrance is rather narrow. Just take it slow. As I recall the passage through the entrance should be greater than a plus three feet tide state. The fireworks display is touted as the top three best private displays in the state. My experience is that it was the best I've seen of all those over the years in other venues.

If you plan on attending by boat, arrive the day before and anchor as close to the south spit as possible, which is where they launch the display. Bay fills up fast. We had a front row seat this past year. Quite spectacular. The large reports reverberate around the hills making it a much greater sensation.

Dec 25, 2000
And how many of those are there up and down the coast!!!! It's part of what keeps us interested and paying attention. I love going into new places like that.
Agree Michael, my log book is on the boat, but there were some anchorages that we entered up north that required a high tide passage; Rosco Bay, Rock Inlet behind the old Namu cannery http://mapcarta.com/24598340.

Jackson Narrows passage was at zero tide, and there was three feet beneath the keel, as I recall.

Some just make you want to sweat nickels.:yikes:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
IMGP0118.jpeg

More tight spots photos:
0118 Deserters Group. Queen Charlotte Strait, BC
0120 Up close to that big rock
0423 Laura Cove. Spyder Group
0431 Calvert Islands West Beach, like the Oregon Coast

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Monday, June 26 our last school day; then, "schools out, schools out, teacher wore her bloomers out". Oysters high on the cruising agenda, but slim pick'ns around these parts except maybe Safeway. Much better further north, so a rendezvous at Eagle Harbor where our boating buddy awaits on Wassail. We'll decide where to go from there, but probably to Nanaimo then across Georgia Strait to the sunshine coast.

Dec 25, 2000
Finally received a permanent excuse from my jury duty group. Dodged a bullet there. Now back to some water time. Heading out for the boat today then over towards Parks Bay tomorrow. Not sure of the current flotilla location, but likely Roche Harbor. He is waiting for some replacement parts for his autopilot due to arrive this Friday at the Friday Harbor Marina office. Then north from there. Probably clear at Bedwell in Poets Cove on Pender Island. Very nice weather.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So Terry, What was the permanent excuse??? Too old or too much time in Canada on a sail boat?:poke: