H260 Bimini

Jun 29, 2015
Hunter H260 Brighton Ontario
Hello all
I've been looking through the forum, and google, as I am trying to find a Bimini for my H260 (now located on Lake Ontario).
I'm looking for the kind that can fold back out of the way when under sail. Seems the ones on shop.hunter are fixed and do not fold up.
Any suggestions? Sample photo of what I'm hoping to find attached.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
You could go with a 4 ft. Bimini, you would not have to do anything when under sail. It stays clear of the boom.

Attachments

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
On my H26 I have a 6ft Bimini set up so that the boom passes over top ( I believe that I have almost 6ft clearance below my Bimini). You will have to move the main sheet forward on the boom to clear.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
We have the 6ft bimini on our 260. Instead of moving the mainsheet, I slide the bimini supports aft. This gives enough clearance to the mainsheet. While there is some aft overhang, I find that more useful while at the helm. Helps provide better sun protection in that position.

Jun 29, 2015
Hunter H260 Brighton Ontario
Thanks folks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the 6 footer.
Aluminum vs Stainless? Likely we'll only deploy the bimini when at anchor. Thoughts?

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
I'd go Stainless and I deploy mine anytime I'm on the boat for the most part. Makes it a little difficult to see the main to trim but not too bad.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We find the bimini to be important while sailing or at anchor or at the dock. It makes the South Carolina summers almost bearable.

Jan 18, 2014
Agree with Kermit, it needs heavy sun protection in the South. Couldn't sail in FL, going around the Keys, etc. without it. Bimini is permanently mounted.

Attachments

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Hey Reg Guy... Where did you get that netted sun shade. Is it standard? I like it!

Jan 18, 2014
Fred,
I bought it at Harbor Freight. When I right remember, the size of the black mesh heavy duty UV screen shade was 12 x 20 feet, paid about $30. It has a very fine grit and shall filter out 80% of UV light. I really like it, close the cockpit to the transom as well.
My impression was, it reduces the heat by 10 degree, and has the extra benefit to kept the bugs out of inside and cockpit. A relieve when on the water or anchor in the hot season.
Hart

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Can't find it on Harbour Freight site.

Jan 18, 2014
I saw and bought it two years ago in their store; checked the web out for you, search at Harbour Freight for: "Mesh All Purpose/Weather Resistant Tarp".
Or just Google: "Black heavy duty mesh uv screen shade canopy patio yard tarp sun cover"
Several retailers will show up with it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
suggest the 6 foot bimini from Ameriseam sold thru the forum store. Aluminum is fine unless you want to be able to hold on it. That is measured for a 260 as I was there when Ameriseam measured it for me as a dealer at Hunter at my request.

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Suggestion: Have zippers added to the pockets that attach the canvas to the frame so that canvas can be easily removed for storage. Ameriseam added them to mine.

Update: Also suggest going with the SS instead of aluminum frame, I have aluminum, and wish I had gone SS.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
flynhi4u
He is very anxious to get out of the rain. Should know that frog as I saw him whining as it rained on him while working on his boat. Ha.