H44DS brown ooze, exterior window overhang

May 28, 2012
Hunter 44DS Sidney, BC
Has anyone had this happen? A brown ooze has been dripping from several spots on the underside of the overhang above the salon windows, dripping onto the upper deck. It has been suggested that I should remove the overhangs and re-bed them, but it would be helpful to know if anyone else has seen this occur and what is the best solution.

Attachments

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Has anyone had this happen? A brown ooze has been dripping from several spots on the underside of the overhang above the salon windows, dripping onto the upper deck. It has been suggested that I should remove the overhangs and re-bed them, but it would be helpful to know if anyone else has seen this occur and what is the best solution.
Kyoung, yes i have had that issue with my H41DS. Have been unable to determine what the problem is. Mine just runs down the side. Does not drip off the eyebrow. It might be from the adhesive that they used during construction. I have looked a number of times to see if there was something there that I was missing. I still happens occasionally but it has been much less than it was. It never happened in ND but since we have had it in FL it has. It might be due to the hot weather.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I would be suspicious that a hand rail bolt or something right inboard of the drool point (?) ; a deck bolt for instance.. That looks like water that has been making its way through the wood core and exiting at a low point under the overhang.. Suspect the aft-most bolt holding the handrail just above the drool..

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
There is a groove between the overhang piece and the cabin trunk. All kinds of nasty stuff can become trapped in there and rot. I haven't seen this yet on my boat but only a matter of time...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Looks like a tanin stain. Does your coach top have high moisture readings??

May 28, 2012
Hunter 44DS Sidney, BC
Thank you all. I'll check those things out. And I am relieved to see that others have observed the same problem.

Jul 7, 2011
Hunter 41DS Buffalo, N.Y.
I have this occasionally. Last year I removed the eyebrow/overhangs from my 41DS to see what was up. There are no breaks I. The fiberglass u derbthere with the exception of the screw holes. I did treat the handrail bolts with an anti corrosive. I still get this brown ooze occasionally. If it's core rot I can't imagine where it is exiting from. Let me know if anyone else has found a source for this. Thanks. Tim