Stupid Things I Have Done #1,653

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Not that I haven't done similar stuff, but on my
M25XP, the kill switch has a spring on it, so you
hold it to shut the engine off and then let it go and
it springs back. Isn't this common?
Not on an outboard. The kill switch (plunger) normally springs in to kill the engine. You hold it out by sliding that black clip on the lanyard between the button of the plunger and the engine itself. (See post #8.) You attach the other end, the metal part, to yourself--your clothing, like a shirt sleeve. The idea is that if you somehow fall out of the dink with the outboard running the lanyard will pull out the black clip; the plunger springs in, and the engine is shut off. For two reasons. One--that a run-away dink with its engine at full throttle does not swing around and run over you. Two-with it stopped you can swim over to it and get back in. With the kill switch clip inserted you can push with your thumb the red plunger in far enough to kill the engine, and when you let go it will spring back out from the pressure of the (plastic) clip re-gaining its normal shape. If an outboard engine has the black clip inserted at the kill switch but with the (safety) lanyard removed it might appear to work as you describe.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2014
Catalina 30 Bremerton, WA
Yup. Got that on an outboard. I am fervent
believer in using the deadman clip on them.
OP appeared to be talking about an inboard
diesel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yup. Got that on an outboard. I am fervent
believer in using the deadman clip on them.
OP appeared to be talking about an inboard
diesel.
Yeah--but some of the later examples of "Stupid Things..." referred to kill switches of outboards. So, you may have mixed-up portions of the various posts in the thread.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have learned the signs of fuel filter blockage through a previous experience :yikes:... So as I headed out across the Strait of Juan D'Fuca a little over week ago and heard a cough :( from the usually steady diesel, I immediately shut down the engine and shouted to my fellow cruise mates on Mahalo. "I have an issue here. Need to change the fuel filter. Take about 20 minutes.":redface: The crew on Mahalo said they would hang about. It was a beautiful sunny day and the Strait was unusually flat. I dove into the engine space and did the filter change in record time. 10 minutes later I was up and starting the motor hoping I had shut down in time to avoid bleeding the fuel lines.

Starter button.. the engine started on the first compression. Yeah.:dancing: Lets be off...

We began our 2 hour crossing... 10 minutes later Cough... cough... Oh NO:yikes::yikes:... This time it had to be something more complex... Mahalo threw me a tow line and his Admiral came aboard to guide my boat in tow. We set up the tow and I went back into the engine compartment to access the issue.

Had to be a fuel issue. So I opened the starboard tank. I thought there would be 10-15 gallons there according to my calculations... BONE DRY... Opps...:banghead:
Checking the Port tank... 70 plus gallons... Ok I guess my math was off. :doh:
Switch tanks.. Pump pump pump the lift pump.. Try the starter... This may take a while. Pump pump pump the lift pump.. Try the starter... Repeat.... 15 minutes later... Cough.. vroooooommmmm Oh Boy..

The rest of the trip was smooth. I need to review my math on fuel consumption.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Not that I haven't done similar stuff, but on my
M25XP, the kill switch has a spring on it, so you
hold it to shut the engine off and then let it go and
it springs back. Isn't this common?
That's why I was surprised when it wouldn't start. I pushed and pushed with all my might. Wouldn't turn over or cough or anything.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Mahalo threw me a tow line and his Admiral came aboard to guide my boat in tow. We set up the tow and I went back into the engine compartment to access the issue..
Best part was I had several hours alone to contemplate the wonders of the sea. Worst part was no one to line handle when we docked. ;) (Do not tell Trish I said that)

Les

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I know I already wrote one story so this happened to someone else. ;) My friend did his normal preheat of the engine and then turned the key to start it. Grind, grind, grind. Maybe it needs more preheat. Grind, grind, grind. Ah come on. The engine is rarely this hard to start and only in the winter. Shouldn't have this problem in June. About this time, his Admiral asks him if the shutdown cable is pulled up. Naw, I always...... dammit. Push, turn key and engine purrs.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Which raises the question: Is there anyone on the planet who uses the kill switch the way they were intended to be used? I can't imagine how or why I would attach myself to the motor with a lanyard before going forward to release my mooring.
Which is why I took a scrap of 5mm marine ply, hole-sawed a 1.25" disk out of it, drilled a 0.5" hole in the center and cut a slot to the center. I installed it on my outboard kill switch and it stays there.

Need to make another and stow it in the dink so I don't have to swim back to the boat next time I lose that kill switch lanyard :redface:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Worst part is I've forgotten to open that fuel valve 4 times or so. That makes it far worse than the 3 times I've tried to get out of the slip with the shore power connected.
A couple of months ago while leaving the dock, I loosened both of my mooring whips, disconnected and folded my stern whip, released all of my dock lines, and proceeded to power out of my dock only to realize the loosened bow whip was still connected to the bow cleat. By the time I realize my mistake, the whip is bent almost horizontal, the line has run out and hit the stopper knot and is now trying to pull my bow into the boat docked next to me in the canal. I gave my son my knife, and had him run forward and cut the 1/4" nylon whip line. As soon as he cut it, the whip snapped back and ejected itself out of its base into the yard. His quick work with the razor knife, allowed me to avoid the collision, and luckily I was able to repair and restring the whip upon our return. I have almost done it twice since then, but now I double check.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
And, furthermore, if I could just remember how to do a damn splice from one to the other, it would be an accomplishment! I just spent two hours doing a simple eye for a new mainsheet in 7/16 line. I had to follow the directions carefully, backtrack several times, re-weave the fid a couple of times, and then gave up and figured I'd have to cut it off and start all over. Came back after a dinner break, and just started pulling, tugging, milking, pushing and it all came together after all. That will last until next time and then I have to learn it all over again.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
So the day comes to launch the Sapphire, time is booked at 2:30 attempting to get all those last minute items completed prior to her hull being laid gently in the water for the season. I have all the chain out with the idea of marking 25' increments, the yard hands start hovering around 1:30 they are ready to move, I am out of time, the 150' of chain is all out and coiled back and forth in front of the boat on the ground for marking, I get the primer on but don't have enough time to do colors, go to wind it in (it was manually let out) and I can't get the windless working so I hand over hand the chain......huffing and puffing I get her in.
Make a mental note that I must look at why the windlass didn't turn on.

Last weekend sitting at the Nav station, I see the breaker on the DC panel marked, "WINDLASS"....... DAAAAAAH, I thought the only switch was on the DC power panel, relief on one hand, windlass is operational, feeling rather foolish on the other.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Teaching moment for the daughter in law , when you pull out the T handle to shut down the engine, push it back in...( gotta be her fault, not mine for not telling her).
First time in ten years I had a " no start" on the first turn. Didn't even cross my mind to look at the fuel shutoff. Certainly starts and runs better if its actually getting fuel.

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
I once mistakenly asked a guest to shut off the engine by "pulling" the stop switch instead of pushing it in. He did pull it, right out of the engine. I don't know how he did it with his fingers but he was swearing that he was a weak "pxxxy" while he was doing it. BTW, the engine did stop when he pulled the switch out.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Dad used to say. "You buy them books, and they eat the covers. ".
Welcome to the craziness