Free Craigslist find

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Probably because it was repaint and the HIN was lost. My O'Day HIN is messed up too and the stern has been repaired and repainted so the original is long gone. Funny part is I can go back till 1986 in registration and the original long term owner and it looks like at some point someone mistyped the HIN to the boat registration numbers and it didn't set anything off. I wouldn't worry about it, old boats are just that old boats and I doubt it will ever cause you any problems.

At least you know what it is now! Also Wow, she is lighter (1400 lbs) then my O'Day 25 and 2' longer at the water line.

I found this listing too with a lot of pictures which should be helpful in your restoration.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/48601

I found some websites, might be helpful. I think this is called a home built because my reading says this company, Lugar, provided kit boats for home builders to finish. Looks like they even made a 30' trailable boat with a 8.5' beam too.
http://www.lugerboats.com/

http://lugerhybrid.tripod.com/home/

Last edited:
May 4, 2017
ILLINOIS HOMEMADE BOATS Unsure Tampa
Probably because it was repaint and the HIN was lost. My O'Day HIN is messed up too and the stern has been repaired and repainted so the original is long gone. Funny part is I can go back till 1986 in registration and the original long term owner and it looks like at some point someone mistyped the HIN to the boat registration numbers and it didn't set anything off. I wouldn't worry about it, old boats are just that old boats and I doubt it will ever cause you any problems.

At least you know what it is now! Also Wow, she is lighter (1400 lbs) then my O'Day 25 and 2' longer at the water line.

I found this listing too with a lot of pictures which should be helpful in your restoration.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/48601
Yes, she is light....Which explains what happened while trailering her home. When I picked up the boat the crank on the trailer was the only thing holding it on the trailer. I heard a voice say "Put your 10,000lb cargo strap around the boat and trailer!" So I did. I drove from Clearwater Florida to Winter Haven which is about an hour and 15 mins. On the way, there was a lot of construction and the bumps were freaking me out because I had never pulled a trailer this long before. Every time I looked in the rear view mirror the boat was pointed in a different direction. I was thinking why is that happening?? That boat looked like a whale rolling around back there. There was too much movement so I stopped and checked everything and the crank was loose so I tightened it down and the strap was still holding strong. So I made it to the house and the next morning I was floored by what I saw. The entire front trailer crank assembly was leaning to the side and the tether was slack! When I thought back to when we left I remembered that there was a piece of wood under the crank assembly to give it height. Somewhere along the way, that piece of wood jumped ship and the assembly was rendered totally ineffective. The only thing holding that boat on the trailer was the strap I put on it. I thank God for looking out for me. I can't imagine that boat coming off the trailer at 60 mph!!

Feb 4, 2016
Luger Tradewinds 50 Point Marina
hi there. I too own a Luger Tradewinds 26. fun boat, kits from Illinois back in the 70s. I have had mine for 4 years and sail on the Great Lakes. have fun doing the Reno. I echo what has been said about your keel. very heavy!

Attachments

May 4, 2017
hi there. I too own a Luger Tradewinds 26. fun boat, kits from Illinois back in the 70s. I have had mine for 4 years and sail on the Great Lakes. have fun doing the Reno. I echo what has been said about your keel. very heavy!
The pic you took is very cool. Do you have any more you wouldn't mind sharing of your boat?

May 4, 2017
So, the boat is washed and the keel is about to be removed next week. My wife told me that she is going to need A/C in the cabin. At first, I laughed but I know some people don't like being in the sun all day. So, How many of you have A/C units in your boats and what types?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So, the boat is washed and the keel is about to be removed next week. My wife told me that she is going to need A/C in the cabin. At first, I laughed but I know some people don't like being in the sun all day. So, How many of you have A/C units in your boats and what types?
This is what the pervious owner did, this is only for shore power only. running on 12V or even 24V is going to be challenging and expensive.

oday inside aft ac.jpg

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Anchor in the shade and spend the days swimming. Truthfully adding air would cost much more than the boat is worth to say nothing of the space taken up. Air only works with 120 ac power so you have to be in a marina. Might be more comfortable at home than in a closed cramped sailboat. I don't go near the boat when it gets over 95. Only lost one weekend last year but had a great cookout at home.

May 4, 2017
Anchor in the shade and spend the days swimming. Truthfully adding air would cost much more than the boat is worth to say nothing of the space taken up. Air only works with 120 ac power so you have to be in a marina. Might be more comfortable at home than in a closed cramped sailboat. I don't go near the boat when it gets over 95. Only lost one weekend last year but had a great cookout at home.
Well, kind hard to find shade in the ocean...LOL!! Unless I sail in the shadow of a cloud....hmmm. I may just go with something I built once that would be good for a few hours out on the water. Something like one of those Ice chest coolers but with a few differences. It should keep her cool and that tiny cabin.