Thinking of moving up!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Well, there used to be a 350 across from me next to a 36, and the difference was startling, the beam is 13' compared to 12', and the beam is carried well aft, and there's quite a bit more freeboard, while the rigs are pretty much the same. While very spacious I don't think it was real popular and they slimmed it down for the 355.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Berner,
She is a beautiful boat! I don't know if that's too big a jump. Although the admiral would love it she isn't much help sailing. I'm pretty much on my own with the help of the autopilot :)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Ted,
I know the 350 had a short production run and a lot of people seem a bit critical of them but the people that own them seem to love them and never complain about how the sail. Do a search on this site. I have been on one that rafted to us and she was big a lot of freebaord! This past weekend we moored across from a 380 who had the same hailing port and we got to board theirs too. Both are huge when you're looking from the 30. The one thing we're blessed with in Buzzards Bay is wind! Often too much with opposing strong currents that can create awe full choppy conditions.Big will be more sea-kindly but daunting to handle too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bob, I went from a pup tent Montgomery 15 to my present CAL35C. Going up is room, cost, and work level.
  1. Your going to get more room. Check to be sure it is room where you and the Admiral want it (Sleeping, storage, living).
  2. Costs are length and width based. More equipment the bigger the boat, more to be maintained, repaired, replaced. Check to see that the equipment will meet your physical abilities. Big Sails weigh more and require beefier controls (large enough winches to be powered by the sailors on board or short crewed). Maybe you can get one or two of the Americas Cup grinders to help you cruise the big boat.
  3. Will the right equipment be on the boat in the right places to enable you to do the work you need to accomplish. Do you need power i.e. winches? This can only be observed by sailing and working on a boat the size you are considering.
When you see the boat that calls you and the Admiral, I say go for it. You can always get it home and start to change the things that need changing. That is why it is called a boat you can remake her into your own vision. You can not remake the Admiral.:)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
the boat before this one (25+ years ago) was a Catalina 22. I've skippered bigger (moorings 39) and power boats in 30+ feet - but I went with a 36 - cause the Admiral wanted the additional space. It handles similar to the 27-30 sailboats I grew up with, but everything is bigger and more $$, including insurance and moorage. On the plus side I think it is easier to install goodies with the additional space.

Les

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We are biased BUT I would suggest you both taking a look at the Catalina 310, check the reviews and look at the layout. Remember, the bigger you go the more the costs. Check the 310, Also Queen size Vberth inner spring mattress. Big Step Up from Our 25 and Affordable also.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
We just bought an 05 350 this year.
It's not a race boat but sails well and sails comfortably. Our boys and my wife love it super roomy cockpit and salon. Peninsula berth forward and dedicated shower are huge pluses

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I first owned a 1978 C30. I got tired of cracking my head on things and bleeding all over the boat (I'm 6'4" my wife is also tall, I threw the short ones back). We sold the 30 and a broker friend kept telling me that I had to see this 1983 C 36, so I finally did. Guy really needed to sell. I could stand up and lay down in it both, and got a very good deal on a plain wrap great old boat in very good condition. I've added my own new electronics and gear and still love it. Every once in a while I get a case of biggernewerboatitis, then I look at how much more I'd have to spend to get something significantly "more" than my boat, and I settle down in the cockpit with a tot of rum to get over it. And the old 36's have a huge advantage (for me) over the newer ones -- headroom. I guess they lowered the cabintop or something, but I can't stand up in the newer boats. I lust after the open transom occasionally, but my swimstep solution pretty much solves the problem. I also like the 34 over the 36, the extra two feet just make a difference. The 36 also weighs a bit more, which means it needs a little more wind, but in heavier wind and seas, she keeps her keel down. Also, an older boat cost less which covers a lot of slip costs.

Last edited:

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
"Our 36 V-berth is enormous . . . ." Yes, that went a very long way to selling me on the boat, as well as being able to stand up in it without cracking my head. I can actually lay down in the v-berth and not touch my head against the bulkhead.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I too like the 350 but bought a 310. It seems to be at the inflection point where if you go larger the prices really jump. Difference in price between 310 & 350 is about double. My wife is tiny so the 350 would be a big difference in forces so i would be effectively singlehanding. For a cruising couple the 310 is worth at least seeing in person...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We jumped from 30 to 50 with a center cockpit, helm to anchor roller about the same distance. Here gimme that checkbook I'll show you how its done.

All U Get

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Catalinas are nice boats and a 42 was on my short list when I bought our Beneteau. But I wouldn't just lock on brand as much as which features you value. I have spent my fair share of time in a V-berth and like Kings Gambit do not like them. So I shopped for boats where that space is a head, and the berth's are located elsewhere. B393, B411, Outbound44. The Pullman Berth.

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Update! First I wanted to thank everyone for their input. So after a great weekend skiing the admiral and I went to Harpswell ME to look at His Idea II that Berner posted, She is a beautiful boat. On the same day we looked at a Beneteau 393 in S Bristol ME. We ended up buying the Bene. Really looking forward to launching, hopefully soon. What surprises me most in our hunting is how many boats out there that are poorly maintained.

Again
Thanks everyone!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What surprises me most in our hunting is how many boats out there that are poorly maintained
It is a wonder Bob. When I removed my mast for refit, and learned that the wood spreaders were rotten as anticipated, I aske my rigger if this was unusual. He''s reply, " maybe 60% or more boats in the marina have bad or failing spreaders. It's a wonder the masts stay vertical."

Yet sailors take the boats out on the water and are surprised when they do not work....

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
we are always amazed of the condition of boats that one is trying to "SELL" and they take photos that are showing bleach bottles, beer, water bottles, tools ETC, ETC that are stacked/piled overwhelming a VBERTH or Galley counter-and you wonder why no one buys the boat....;), Just look at boats for sale and you will see what I am talking about.

Apr 16, 2010
Catalina 310 RCYC, Toronto
Hi thinking of moving up but hard choice there is a lot of things we love about your 2005 310 but sometimes in rough water just seams too short and stubby/wide and a little more room would be nice so looking at a 2005 350. Does anyone know how it compairs to the 355? What about the v berth

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Hi thinking of moving up but hard choice there is a lot of things we love about your 2005 310 but sometimes in rough water just seams too short and stubby/wide and a little more room would be nice so looking at a 2005 350. Does anyone know how it compairs to the 355? What about the v berth
Hi PM,
The two are very different boats in almost every way. The one thing that is comparable is the Island V berth. I sailed quite extensively on a friends 350 so have a pretty good feel how they compare sailing wise to my 355. The hull shape of the 5 series is much closer to the non-zero boats in terms of freeboard which provides for a different sailing experience (not saying better or worse, just different).