Trailerable Sailboats Under 5,000lbs

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would consider 4' a shallow draft.... If I can step out and dig the keel out of the sand and/or push off the sand bar... it is shallow draft (been there... done that).... just pointing out what the O.P. requested.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I would consider 4' a shallow draft.... If I can step out and dig the keel out of the sand and/or push off the sand bar... it is shallow draft (been there... done that).... just pointing out what the O.P. requested.
I agree with you. Fundamentally for me, if it's trailerable it's a skinny water boat. My question about draft was really addressed to the OP!!

Oct 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Kent Narrows, MD
I agree with you. Fundamentally for me, if it's trailerable it's a skinny water boat. My question about draft was really addressed to the OP!!
Happy to clarify - my sailing is in the Chesapeake and there are couple reasons for the "requirement" (my own only of course) for the 24" of less draft.
  1. One of the places I'll frequent quite a bit while generally deep has a couple sand bars and some shoaling that makes the water only about 28" deep.
  2. Most of the ramps close to my house (where I will do the majority of my sailing), are not long enough, or steep enough, or both (even with a tongue extension) to launch a keel based boat.
  3. With all the rivers and estuaries around the Chesapeake, one of our favorite things to do is "beach the boat" and camp on shore - its just a matter of convenience for me in being able to get closer without a fixed keel.
To be clear - if I were looking at Keel boats - my list would be VERY different - but at the end of the day - after discussing as a family what our intended use of the boat would be - this list of "requirements" seems to provide the guard-rails in making our decision.

And yes, the "enclosed head" was the non-negotiable requirement of my better half. :)

Oct 18, 2015
Compac Eclipse, 21' 1.5 ft. draft with the centerboard up
https://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailerable-sloops/compac-eclipse.html
Compac 23, 2ft 3 inch (27") shallow draft keel
https://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailerable-cruisers/compac-23iv.html
Personally, the Corsair trimarans would be on my short list of trailer boats.
Ted,

Thanks for the input! Both great boats - I like them a lot - neither meets the requirement of enclosed head. I don't expect a lot of boats to meet all the requirements I've stated - but then again if I stick to them, at least I won't have to choose for a large selection! :)
  • less than 5,000lbs with engine and basic gear (not all the stuff we tend to accumulate)
  • enclosed head (porta-pottie OK but must be enclosed)
  • min draft of 24" (must be able to get to skinny water and be easy to launch via standard boat ramp)
  • less than $15,000

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Beneteau First 235. Done.

Huge inside for its length.
Marine head or porta in an enclosed space
Wing draws 3'2? Easy to trailer.
Awesome build quality, most good ones in the US$10k range.

And faster than every boat on your list.
Know that there are 2 different versions of the First 235 - fin keel, and wing keel. You'd want the wing for draft.

But don't forget the the O'day 240! It's a winger with enclosed head, 2.67' draft, and the interior layout looks stolen from the First 235. Or vice versa. And not as fast as the Bene. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=418

If anyone wants to give me either a 235 or a 240, I will make a very comprehensive testing program and report back to ya! :D

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer now retired who sold all the boats mentioned by the OP except for the Rhodes 22 built by friends of mine whose boats I worked on to include a wheel on one boat for Laura Dent, I sent a private message stating I would be glad to talk with him about the pros and cons of each boat as related to his issues on launching, amenites and so. My approach with my customers was to ask questions in a manner that they would answer their own questions based on information provided and what looked pleasing to them. That was the best approach. The fellow explained well what is an issue of shallow water and launching on shallow ramps in his area which I am familiar with too having delivered boats in that area and showing all the boats in Annapolis at the show except for the Rhodes 22. He can private email me if he desires with a number or I can provide that to him if he is interested in talking on the phone with the understanding that all contact information is kept private and I discard that info. once I am done.

Oct 18, 2015
He can private email me if he desires with a number or I can provide that to him if he is interested in talking on the phone with the understanding that all contact information is kept private and I discard that info. once I am done.
Thanks for reaching out! I do have the private message and appreciate your willingness to share you knowledge. I've got enough info for now to digest, but I'll certainly be in contact when I get closer to a decision.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you for advising. There are things I know that most do not know along with tricks to solve issues. I was very much involved with the Hunter water ballast and the 260 and 26 were ones Hunter came to me on advice to fix and others. I was also involved with the Catalina trailerables and a good example is the Sport 22 trailer designed by Ron and I which you could launch from a shallow ramp that will also fit any 22 Catalina hull with swing keel only of any year. You have my contact information. The Rhodes 22 is an excellent boat along with the Beneteau 235 but the keel configuration for shallow ramp launch may be difficult. I will ask Dennis Kitchen to speak up as I think he has suggestions for shallow ramp launching that works for him. Dennis can you speak up and help us here or advise the other thread on that issue. Thanks Dennis.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I'm surprised that you aren't looking at multi-hull boats like the Corsair, Farrier, L7, Telstar, TomCat 6.2. There are some compelling reasons to choose a multihull when looking at shoal water sailing and then need for maximum boat in the lightest package. You will struggle to meet your stated budget but you will get a lot of performance and room.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
You could try a Mega 30. I've seen a few for sale where the head was enclosed. On a 30 foot boat, its pretty easy to find space to enclose the head. The boat only weighs 4000 lbs.