Storm on maiden voyage!

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter Cherubini 36' chherubini Poughkeepsie
Hi guys bought an 1981 Cherubini Hunter cheap.

Not all that well maintained, used as a live aboard but got a great deal.

My last boat 25 years ago was a small 21" day sailer that I ran without any knowledge

Not that I ever learned much. Sails up sails down OOPS was about it

I picked up this 36" and was to sail it home from PA to Hudson River NY

Hired a Captain to get her home as the ocean route up Jersey shore had me a little bit worried.

So here we go down the Delaware river, just into the bay we hear a noise and start loosing rpms on the engine!

Winds change to a head wind weather and tide rolls in and we are runniing at two knots to a safe harbor.
Spray breaking the bow got drenched
(Glad I ordered a dodger when II get home to put on -- lol)
The throttle cable was loose and would vibrate back and lower rpms.

6' swells 17mph headwinds what a trip!
Great captain!
Captain Chris, calm and cool found safe harbor kept the boatt under control and me out of panic.

The ocean with *' 8' swells and light wind 10 mph gusts to 15 showed me how to "work the Sea" thanks.

Had the jib 1/3 and power sailed, had fun.

Almost shhiit my pants with the occasional Big swell but quite under control, calm and cool.

Found port befor weather rolled in.
Tucked in for the nighy

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I knew someone had the wherewithal to figure out the provenance of that quote.
Say, what significance do the letters "NSA" have in your handle, Justin? :stir:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I knew someone had the wherewithal to figure out the provenance of that quote.
Say, what significance do the letters "NSA" have in your handle, Justin? :stir:
It's our club; Ninnescah Sailing Association. Someone already had my first name so I tacked (sailing jargon) it on. I used to use our logo for my Avatar but when this site was revamped it no longer fit.

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter Cherubini 36' chherubini Poughkeepsie
Not sure noise gone
Over heat light comes on flickering on long voyage.
back down off track engine it goes off.
I can throttle up and go without the light or buzzer then

It's a Yanmar. 2QM20H

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Could be the raw water intake hose having a bend in it. Seen these get old and pinch at the bend so you don't get enough water through. Replacing always helped if it was a bit longer.

All U Get

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Could be the raw water intake hose having a bend in it. Seen these get old and pinch at the bend so you don't get enough water through. Replacing always helped if it was a bit longer.

All U Get
Yes. But also could be lot's of things on the raw water circulation circuit. The OP revealed in his opening post his recent purchase was "not all that well maintained".

As a first step, take a look at the water being discharged at the exhaust. Needs to be a pretty healthy quantity of frequent burps. If not:

- Partially clogged seawater intake strainer;
- Seawater strainer hasn't been checked/cleaned in a while;
- Raw water pump impeller in bad shape;
- Heat Exchanger tubes are partially blocked by impeller bits, zinc residue and pieces or simply scaling. See this recent thread for an exchange and discussion on this topic. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/another-leaking-pump.184484/
- Exhaust elbow is partially clogged ...(but that's a separate topic in its own right.)

Since Sailscallny is new to his boat, the cooling system our 2QM20H's was modified after market (believe done by Hunter). Very specific to our boats. Post #7 on this thread helps explain, with diagrams, how it all works (but also look at the other posts in the thread!): https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...from-h36-80-82-new-owner.167367/#post-1164114

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Hi guys bought an 1981 Cherubini Hunter cheap.

Not all that well maintained, used as a live aboard but got a great deal.

My last boat 25 years ago was a small 21" day sailer that I ran without any knowledge

Not that I ever learned much. Sails up sails down OOPS was about it

I picked up this 36" and was to sail it home from PA to Hudson River NY

Hired a Captain to get her home as the ocean route up Jersey shore had me a little bit worried.

So here we go down the Delaware river, just into the bay we hear a noise and start loosing rpms on the engine!

Winds change to a head wind weather and tide rolls in and we are runniing at two knots to a safe harbor.
Spray breaking the bow got drenched
(Glad I ordered a dodger when II get home to put on -- lol)
The throttle cable was loose and would vibrate back and lower rpms.

6' swells 17mph headwinds what a trip!
Great captain!
Captain Chris, calm and cool found safe harbor kept the boatt under control and me out of panic.

The ocean with *' 8' swells and light wind 10 mph gusts to 15 showed me how to "work the Sea" thanks.

Had the jib 1/3 and power sailed, had fun.

Almost shhiit my pants with the occasional Big swell but quite under control, calm and cool.

Found port befor weather rolled in.
Tucked in for the nighy
This pretty much sums up my maiden voyage nightmare. I've got sail from Boston through the Cape Cod Canal to Buzzards Bay to get home - relying on a 37 year old Yanmar I have seen run for less than five minutes. Hoping to get in a daysail before we leave. Since it worked out OK for you, I have hope that it will work out OK for me.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
MI,
Good luck! Sounds like it could be a good trip...or not. Remember, "hope" is a poor substitute for planning. Don't forget the VHF and the credit cards, you might need 'em.:)

May 16, 2017
If anyone is still following this thread, we just completed the "sail" from Boston to Buzzard's Bay. After the first six hours of fair tides and following wind, the rest of the trip was into head winds, chop and rain squalls. The boat handled it all perfectly.

The one mishap occurred as we were backing down at the fuel dock in the Cape Cod Canal. The throttle linkage failed and the engine stalled and we found ourselves drifting toward a sailboat with a beautiful red hull. Seeing us coming, they were able to pull out of the way and we drifted into the dock, my best landing since purchase.
As I was contemplating multiple days paying for dockage while finding the parts and a mechanic, my son-in-law found we could operate the throttle at the engine. We jury-rigged a way to set the throttle by hand.
We left the next morning catching the fair tides through the canal before bashing through Buzzard's Bay heads winds and chop.
We made it home, my credit card safely in my pocket. Now to search this site to see how the linkage should be connected.
It's nice to be home, though.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
An adventure for sure. What was the cause of your throttle linkage failure?

May 16, 2017
An adventure for sure. What was the cause of your throttle linkage failure?
Thanks

Turned out the throttle lever inside the pedestal got stuck. As I yanked the lever to free it, the locking bolt on the cable loosened and the cable began slipping. Once I took the compass off it was an easy fix.
It probably needs further adjustment since I was working alone I was only able to set the cable at about 3/4 rpms. Or maybe it's better to leave as is so I won't be tempted to push the engine too hard.