And so it begins... The V222 Restoration

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
Nothing in life is free. We as sailboat owners know this to be a fact. A free boat, many times will cost more in repairs, material and time. I've turned down my share of "free boats" in my sailing career... but, this one got to me.

Yes it was free, but it was all there. The cushions were perfect, the sails and covers were nearly new and the pop up canvas was new without a tear or rip. So, she got me. My girlfriend/co-captain/ partner (Molly) had wanted a sailboat for some time, so we took the plunge together.

That being said, I've decided to document the entire process as this is my fourth our fifth boat and I wish I had kept a journal and pictures of my previous projects. I've put a couple of random posts up, but I'm starting this one as the "official timeline and progress thread." You guys have already been most helpful and I look forward to all the comments and advice. so here we go.

S/V Blue Christmas arrives 12/31/17

boat01.jpg

boat02.jpg

Early January I begin to notice some "modifications" to the pivot bolt. I suspect the PO was attempting to prevent water from coming in the pivot bolt area. My suspicions are, the "malformed keel" See next pic was causing water to channel up the trunk and force it's way out the pivot bolt opening. So, what do you do when you see water if you're a jack leg sailor... throw some resin and fiberglass over that bolt... it certainly isn't a symptom of a bigger problem.

boat10.jpg

boat14.jpg

Late January I find her keel is encapsulated and delaminating. Seems the PO never understood the need for maintenance, let alone basic sailing physics. Also, at this point I surmise that she is pre-1973 and possibly from the first production run, as there is no Hull ID to be found anywhere. Thanks to the kind folks here, I also found out only the pre-73's had laminated keels.

boat13.jpg

boat04.jpg

Late February - we start measuring and positioning her for her future months "On The Hard." We are also encouraged to find out her original hull paint will be salvageable with some rubbing compound and polishing.

boat06.jpg

Removed the hideous plastic plate where the former Indiana numbers were. Finding the hull paint to be very good for it's age.

boat09.jpg

The PO was all about overkill... the plastic plaque with Indiana numbers was awful! And he kept every registration number on it for every year it was registered.

boat12.jpg

So we get to re-build a trailer too... Joy!

boat07.jpg

Keep watching.... much more to come. Todd & Molly

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Thanks for the up date Todd and good luck with your project. Definitely a pre-'73 with the wooden interior.

She has the potential of being a really nice boat. We loved our V-222.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Congrats on your boat.

I loved my V-222 also. And I fully restored mine also ....so I have lots of info and data if you need it. Also a lot of pics from my restoration. They can be really fast boats and I've chased down a few 30' sailboats in my days sailing the V222.

A trick for getting her off the trailer is to set the trailer tongue down all the way, back a picnic table under the stern... then lift the tongue back up as high as you can get it with the jack. Then brace off the bow and gunwales drop the tongue and start edging the trailer out.

Another thing I would suggest... scrap the galley entirely and wash your dishes in a bucket in the cockpit. The galley sink just ends up being a trap for all your junk and it takes up way to much precious room.

And the pink foam board from Lowes or Home Depot makes a good replacement for the flotation foam.

Also get a cockpit tent... (see write up below for example) and if your V222 does not have a rear hatch, add one. That will add a tonne of storage that you can access from the cockpit. The V21 and V222 hatches are the same size so look for someone parting one out. I got pics of that mod also if you need it.

I've also attached one of my write-ups of an adventure I've had in my V222.
563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg

Attachments

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks RGranger... I'm counting on folks like you for some good advice. Great idea on the picnic table method... I had already done some research and I think I've go a handle on that for now. That being said there is plenty to do once she is off the trailer. First being the mess of a keel. As you can see from the pics I've go my work cut out for me... but, I've learned a little about glass and bondo over the years so I'm not to worried. I think the hardest part will be getting it in and out. Couple of quick questions: 1. What paint did you use on the interior? I've used easy pox in the past with great success, but lots of folks saying I can use exterior house paint for the interior. Not sure about that... but, could save some cash. 2. Can you give me any insight as to why the PO glassed over the bolts and washers for the pivot bolt on the interior? Does my theory of water channeling form the damaged keel hold water (pun intended)? We are currently planing a trip to the Keys in 18 months so I need to get busy... I'll read your right up tonight on Teach's old stomping ground... stay in touch and fair winds.

Jan 25, 2017
Also... if anyone has a PDF of "Fix it and Sail" I'd love a copy... I hear he re-stores a V222.

Jan 19, 2010
Also... if anyone has a PDF of "Fix it and Sail" I'd love a copy... I hear he re-stores a V222.
I had a copy of that at one time. I'll look on the book shelf and send it to you if I find it.

Here is a keel job I've done. Before and after pics. It is not a V222 keel. It was from a Balboa 26. I can talk you through what I did but I have to run to a meeting right now. Happy to help.
Keel-oorah.jpg
Ready.jpg

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
As I mentioned before we owned ( or she owned us) '71 V-222. What rgranger said. scrap sink and icebox. Portable reefer is easy to stow and doesn't take up usable space. Also, surprise, surprise. Ya can't open icebox on port tack, unless you want all the stuff to spill out.:waycool: You will have more room in the cabin. Make a new cushion for quarter birth. It looks like the keel locking bolt might be bent?? Good luck. A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour ridiculous amounts of cash.:yikes:

Jan 19, 2010
[QUOTE="Todd Atchison, post: 1357870, member: 136627 : 1. What paint did you use on the interior? . 2. Can you give me any insight as to why the PO glassed over the bolts and washers for the pivot bolt on the interior? Does my theory of water channeling form the damaged keel hold water (pun intended)? .[/QUOTE]
1). I used exterior house paint but I also had them add the anti mildew stuff that is intended for bathroom paint.

Also for the bottom I used rustoleum oil base out of a can. i did not put anti fouling on my boat because I used her as a true trailer sailboat and she never spent more than 14 days at a time in the water. I could just pressure wash at the car wash on the way home. Rustoleum is a very high quality paint but more importantly you can always find an exact color match when you need to touch up

2) the po glasses over the bolts because he could not get them to stop leaking. The rubber gaskets probably needed to be replaced

Jan 25, 2017
So we had a great weekend for a little work on the boat. I spent the day Sunday removing the cooler and sink set up. I think we may keep the sink, but clearly the layout could use a little more thought. Thanks everyone on your suggestions. I do think we can loose the Coleman cooler but, we will probably keep the sink since it's in very nice shape. The bunks underneath do need paint so out it came....

interior01.jpg

interior01.jpg

interior02.jpg

We will be finished with the scraping and painting a bit ahead of schedule. We are planing to begin the interior paint in April once the weather warms up for good.

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks Granger... you have made my decision on interior and bottom paint easier. We to plan to just trailer sail her so the savings can go for some of the other improvements. Keep the suggestions coming and Molly and I both appreciate your support.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I painted the ceiling in my interior. I had some nasty unpainted areas that were covered by carpet. I cleaned the and brushed the entire surface then primed with a sealer. Binz anti mildew. Got it at Home Depot. I then top coated with Rustoleum gloss white topside paint. I used a small roller and tray. It came out absolutely perfect. The primer is the key. Wipes clean and is bullet proof.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks Tsatzue - Looks like I can save a little coin on the interior paint and perhaps the bottom paint too, according to Granger Rustoleum will work for bottom paint also. I will however, use a traditional deck paint on the top deck... thanks everyone!

Jan 19, 2010
I painted the ceiling in my interior. I had some nasty unpainted areas that were covered by carpet. I cleaned the and brushed the entire surface then primed with a sealer. Binz anti mildew. Got it at Home Depot. I then top coated with Rustoleum gloss white topside paint. I used a small roller and tray. It came out absolutely perfect. The primer is the key. Wipes clean and is bullet proof.
Ken B
CMDRE - NETS
Congrats....would love to see some pics....:worthless:

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Doing the work yourself with a little help causes two things. One you did it. Two you probably did it better than hiring someone. How many cases of beer does it take to restore a boat?:waycool:
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind in the Willows. Keep sending the pics.

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks guys the support of this group means a lot! Thanks for the pics Tsatzsue... I'll try to put some new ones up this weekend. We are nearing the end of sanding and scrapping. We should begin the interior paint as soon as we get warm weather...

Jan 25, 2017
A great weekend for working on the boat means we are one step closer to interior paint! But first... the electrical! Not sure what the PO was thinking, but man he had the power!

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

Removed the hatch rails and began the sanding.

IMG_0972.JPG

Sliding companionway hatch removed and ready for paint, as well as the main removable hatch insert.

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

Removed the starboard bunk (it needs replaced completely as the vaneer is delaminating and on corner had some rot).

IMG_0966.JPG

Attachments

Jan 25, 2017
Progress update - Summer 17

It's been some time since I've updated my progress on the V222. It's been a steady pace of scrape, paint and paint again. The interior is 75% painted. I used a good quality Behr exterior paint with anti mildew added. I've started the deck paint and opted for West Marine Sea Gold acrylic. I've also begun building the travel lift. The next month will be the turning point as I transition from deck and interior work to "lifting" and keel removal. I'll keep everyone in the loop and add new pictures soon.

exterior01.JPG
exterior02.JPG
exterior03.JPG
exterior05.JPG