Lewmar Windlass Motor

Apr 29, 2014
Hunter 420CC Kema, Texas
I have a Lewmar Windlass that clicks and doesn't do anything. I suspected it was the Solenoid and replaced it with a new one from West Marine. However still nothing. Trying to find a replacement motor, or whether or not I should dismantle the current gear and motor and see about rebuilding it. I can't find a model number on the motor, but here is a picture if anyone knows about it. I beleive it was original equipment on my 2003 Hunter 420 Passage.
Lewmar.PNG
Thanks, Mark

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sometime around 2000 (I don't know the exact year) Lewmar bought out Simpson Lawrence and began selling S-L windlasses under the Lewmar brand name. Simpson Lawrence used a French-manufactured motor from a company named Leroy Somer. It is a piece of junk. The brushes are the weak point, and given the unreasonable procurement time and obscene pricing, the motor is best replaced outright.
There is a company in the UK that bought out all of the S-L spare parts and they have found a replacement motor that is manufactured in the UK that is much more reliable than the Leroy Somer motor.
So what I would recommend is that you look at your motor and see if there is a Leroy Somer label on it. If it is a L-S, I would not bother trying to repair it, but instead I would check with
http://slspares.co.uk/parts.php?product=Windlass+&+Capstan+Electric+Motors
and ask them if their motors will fit the Lewmar model that you have. You should also ask Lewmar for a replacement but they may only be able to supply you another Leroy Somer motor. If you search this board for "Leroy Somer" or "Simpson Lawrence" you will find lots of information that others and myself have posted.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had same problem. I opened the hatch cover to see the model number of my contactor. The voltage to the contactor was good. My helper who could stick his head inside the anchor locker, asked...

"Should this red wire be lose on the contactor?":rolleyes:

Duhhh NO!
We cleaned the terminal and retightened the "Red wire".

Anchors aweigh again...;)
Jim...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Bavaria is on its third Lewmar windlass motor (SL Sprint 1000) in 17 yr since the boat was first splashed. So, I've done some trouble shooting as well as replacement. The motors are about $500 ea from p2 marine; see at link. You can see the part number on the motor in magnified view. (The motor kit for the 600 is quite a bit less; follow the links to that one.) The clicking might be due to a corroded connection to the switch, or to corroded wiring at some other connection. OR, if water has gotten in there where the brushes are, there may be some breakage/disintegration of the brushes or magnets, causing the armature to hang up. (Probably equals new motor.) There's also a sealed bearing pressed on the armature shaft that can freeze. Obviously, check the connection at the switch first.

http://www.p2marine.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=22065

p.s. Here's that bearing: McMaster Carr Product #2349K413. Metric Perma-Lube Steel Ball Bearing-ABEC-1; Double sealed. #6001 for 12 mm shaft diameter, 28 mm OD; $18.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2014
Hunter 420CC Kema, Texas
Thanks. There is corrosion from some water leaking into the drive so looking at Defender.com, they have the Lewmar V3 Windlass on sale with shipping for under $1800. Looks like that would be my best option at this point.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The replacement motor for my Simpson Lawrence windlass from the British spares fellow was north of $500 (plus freight and duties) and when I saw the maker (Lucas) I regretfully pulled a mechanically fine S-L windlass...and dropped it in the metals recycling bin, replacing it with a Lewmar H3. Hated to reward them for abandoning parts for their S-L windlass, but their H3 really is a good value. I would recommend replacing your vertical shaft windlass with a horizontal shaft windlass. Once the shaft seal fails on that vertical shaft windlass it is just a matter of time until seawater fills and destroys the motor.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
captmaddog, On my Hunter 50 factory equipped with Quick windlass & bow thruster. Looks to me a notch above Lewmar. One obvious difference on windlass, motor on Quick is sealed.
Before purchasing boat, I had never heard of Quick brand. After purchasing boat I changed the gypsy from 5/16" to 3/8". Had no trouble getting parts.
Take a look at it (also lower price): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Princ...ash=item1ebf8294c0:g:t7AAAOSwUKxYdxRr&vxp=mtr

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
Sometime around 2000 (I don't know the exact year) Lewmar bought out Simpson Lawrence and began selling S-L windlasses under the Lewmar brand name. Simpson Lawrence used a French-manufactured motor from a company named Leroy Somer. It is a piece of junk. The brushes are the weak point, and given the unreasonable procurement time and obscene pricing, the motor is best replaced outright.
There is a company in the UK that bought out all of the S-L spare parts and they have found a replacement motor that is manufactured in the UK that is much more reliable than the Leroy Somer motor.
So what I would recommend is that you look at your motor and see if there is a Leroy Somer label on it. If it is a L-S, I would not bother trying to repair it, but instead I would check with
http://slspares.co.uk/parts.php?product=Windlass+&+Capstan+Electric+Motors
and ask them if their motors will fit the Lewmar model that you have. You should also ask Lewmar for a replacement but they may only be able to supply you another Leroy Somer motor. If you search this board for "Leroy Somer" or "Simpson Lawrence" you will find lots of information that others and myself have posted.
Well Rich, we meet yet again lol. You always seem to have great information and a wealth of knowledge. Our Leroy Somer windlass has been intermittently working. After digging deep, we realized that it is a motor problem. Either the wire connectors inside are in need of tightening, or something more dramatic like the brushes failing. We won't know until we actually open the motor up. Do you suggest we look into rebuilding this same 18 year old motor? Or should we save the money with a mechanic and put it toward replacing the whole motor? And then there's the problem of whether a new motor will fit into the current casing and align with the other "stuff".
Thanks,
Cara

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well Rich, we meet yet again lol. You always seem to have great information and a wealth of knowledge. Our Leroy Somer windlass has been intermittently working. <snip> Cara
If your Simpson Lawrence windlass has a Leroy-Somer motor, I would not spend a minute or a dollar on it. I have been that route having a local shop rebuild with brushes and it continued to give grief. I finally purchased a replacement motor from SL Spares in the UK. The link is in my post above. They have motors and adapter plates if required to fit your windlass. From the other posts in this thread it appears that there are other supplies that have replacement parts as well. Just make sure you don't get another L-S motor! I will say that I have had to replace the brushed in my replacement motor, but that was after 10-13 years. It seems that windlass service is extremely hard on motors.
One consideration you need to verify is whether you have enough room for a new motor. The replacement that I received from SL Spares in the UK was about 1/2" longer than the original. That required me to grind out a bit of fiberglass under the anchor locker to be able to move the motor into position.
Also as a heads-up, I have learned that these windlass's need service. S-L recommends yearly, but that is probably over-kill unless you are using it all year long. I just had my S-L fail by slipping and failing to pull in the chain and anchor. After removal and disassembly I found two broken Circlips, a slightly worn bearing, and thick dried-out grease. Now repaired and ready to re-install.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Thanks. There is corrosion from some water leaking into the drive so looking at Defender.com, they have the Lewmar V3 Windlass on sale with shipping for under $1800. Looks like that would be my best option at this point.
Also talk to the nice folks at the SBO store. You might get a great deal on one. A friend did.

Les

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
http://slspares.co.uk/-78.671063.php?product=Windlass+&amp;+Capstan-78.671063+Electric+Motors
Hi Rick, I appreciate your responses so very very much. We are still going back and forth about purchasing a new windlass or replacing the motor. But I need to pick your brain a bit more if that’s okay.
How long ago did you replace your motor. Did the new one have 2 leads?

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I find it hard to believe, unless the original motor is fundamentally flawed in design or manufacture, that it could not be rebuilt and operate as new. The issue may be finding a competent rebuilder who will charge a reasonable price; they are dying off. My guys, in Hudson, MA, are partners in semi-retirement, working 4 hours a day.

The cost of a good starter rebuild job can easily exceed the cost of an entire, new Chinese-made starter on eBay. For example, my Westerbeke (Mitsubishi) replacement on eBay was $109, and rebuilding the original Mitsubishi starter was $169. But, the rebuilt one is as-new, and much better that the eBay unit. (A new one is $900 from Westerbeke).

But, a good rebuild is worth it. I recommend searching for a good motor rebuild shop.

Have you diagnosed the motor? Is it bunt windings, worn or broken brushes, worn commutator?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Yes, the motor from the UK was made by Lemac and it has two leads. So it requires a reversing solenoid to run in and out. I replaced my OEM Leroy-Somer motor in 2006 after multiple brush failures in 8 years of operation. Ten years later in 2016 the brushes failed in this replacement motor and I had a local shop replace them for me.

This is an interesting turn of events. Two weeks ago my S-L windlass motor ran fine but the gypsy didn't move. A tear-down showed a couple broken Circlips. I replaced them and the base bearing and seal also while I had it apart. Windlass re-installed and working fine.
Now 3 days into my 7 week Maine cruise, the windlass motor slows and then fails to run at all. T/S showed that the brushes were not making contact with the commutator, and it looks like the brushes that I had installed by a local shop less than 2 years ago was a very poor job.
So with limited options, this morning I ordered from John McMaster in the UK a new motor, and also spare set of brushes to be expressed to me. I am stuck in Plymouth, MA. Outstanding service from John at SL Spares, he is shipping today (he is 7 hours ahead of me) via FedEx Express and I a supposed to have the parts by 10:30 am tomorrow! So I will have a set of brushes that I will put in my existing motor. If that fixes the old motor like I think it will, I will install the new motor and keep the old motor as a spare.
So I took a hit of $500 ($100+ was just express shipping), but is much less than a new windlass. And a new windlass would have meant figuring out a new installation and I would have needed tools that I don't have with me.