Addiction or Hobby?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
An addiction must meet at least 3 of the following criteria.

1. Tolerance. Do you sail more over time?
2. Withdrawal. Have you experienced physical or emotional withdrawal when you have stopped sailing? Have you experienced anxiety, irritability, shakes, sweats, nausea, or vomiting? Emotional withdrawal is just as significant as physical withdrawal.
3. Limited control. Do you sometimes sail more than you would like? Do you sometimes sail to forget? Does one sail lead to more sails sometimes? Do you ever regret how much you sailed the day before?
4. Negative consequences. Have you continued to sail even though there have been negative consequences to your mood, self-esteem, health, job, or family?
5. Neglected or postponed activities. Have you ever put off or reduced social, recreational, work, or household activities because of your sailing?
6. Significant time or energy spent. Have you spent a significant amount of time obtaining, using, concealing, planning, or recovering from sailing? Have you spend a lot of time thinking about sailing? Have you ever concealed or minimized your sailing? Have you ever thought of schemes to avoid getting caught sailing?
7. Desire to cut down. Have you sometimes thought about cutting down or controlling your sailing? Have you ever made unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control your sailing?

Now figure it out for yourself!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Passionate Addict, no question. Sometimes the only way I can get myself to sleep is to 'go sailing' and go over every detail for as long as I am still awake. A good addiction, but still.....

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
First set foot in a sailboat in 1957, at 16 yrs old. An old plywood Penquin

Been hooked ever since. I've built right at 25, restored a good many and have 9 boats here at the house, counting kayaks and dinghys. Plus Tehani in the marina, who I visit several times a week

So I don't know- addicted? or obsessed?
Wow, you win the prize!! Obsessive addiction.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
My Hunter 22 was named Bad Obsession...Kind of fitting, don't you think.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
So if we're not passionate or addicted, maybe we're just nuts!
Fear is an excellent motivator, if you let it motivate you.
Fear is also an excellent tool to keep you from succeeding, if you let it.
Those that have achieved their dreams have faced their fears and conquered them.
Those that are not living their dreams have let fear control them.
When you’re contemplating doing something but you’re scared, always ask yourself what’s the worst that could happen?
It’s likely that nothing bad will happen. If something bad could happen what are the chances? Usually a tiny chance.

If you’re scared to do something, that’s a good sign that you should do it.

Seen Jaws too many times and now you’re scared of Sharks? You need to jump in the ocean.
What’s the worst that could happen?
You encounter a shark. So what. Maybe it bites you and maybe it doesn’t. And if it kills you then it kills you. We all die and you did it facing your fears.
Want to go into business for yourself but you’re afraid of failure? You should bite the bullet and do it.

You go broke. So what. Every self-made millionaire was broke before they were rich.
Want to get into shape but you’re scared of looking like a fool in the gym? Go into the gym anyway.

At least you tried while all the other cowards wonder what could have been.

If you’re too scared to ever take a chance…
Then you don’t deserve any rewards.

[credit: https://boldanddetermined.com/always-do-what-you-are-afraid-to-do/]

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For me, neither. Somehow an addiction seems to me like an uncontrollable impulse which yields to regret once satisfied. A hobby is more like a pastime, just something to kill time. I have to say that for me sailing is an adventure. You go out and never know for sure what you are going to get. The learning curve is long and steep and poses a challenge to become proficient at. It breeds self sufficiency and confidence in yourself. Lastly it exposes the soul to some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. It has something for all ages.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Emotional withdrawal is just as significant as physical withdrawal.
Thank you Ken. Both for the information (gee I'm glad she is ok)... And the knowledge that I have one of the criteria JohnB says identifies my condition. Ok ok. It is only one of three. I must be alright. Boy that was close.
Ken. You were a great help in my project resolution. Thanks. Looking to get back up to the boat by the end of the month. (Oh. There goes criteria 6. I think I have it.. I have it badddd...)

Where did they say the 12 boat step program meets?

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
My compulsive, addictive Lifestyle is my boat. I"m passionate about the wife, I'm addicted to the boat. Luckily my passion likes my addiction so I'm allowed to mix the 2. Otherwise I'd have to make a decision and that could be hard.

Nov 28, 2015
Jeanneau Attalia Toronto
I was just thinking of this and I figured I would put this out there.

Is sailing an addiction or a hobby?
I was just thinking of this and I figured I would put this out there.

Is sailing an addiction or a hobby?
I vote for addiction. Seriously, I think about it so much and when I am not sailing I am thinking of it, about half of the time. I like looking at boat adds in the winter. I actually enjoy working on my boat and the whole time I am working on it I am thinking about my next cruise.

Definitely and addiction.
Same here!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I am not certain which it is, but I will let you know right after I get a fix.........:biggrin:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Saw an interesting article at some point that discussed possible genetic link in sailors, giving them a predilection to go out on the sea. Others that don't have it, don't go. IIRC the article suggested high incidence in British people. Maybe this is one reason why sailing as a popular pastime comes and goes?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sailing ...

I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do, so the little got more and more ...
I just keep tryin' to get a little better, said a little better than before ...

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
That is interesting, the genetic link. Funny because it definitely exists in my family!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Saw an interesting article at some point that discussed possible genetic link in sailors, giving them a predilection to go out on the sea. Others that don't have it, don't go. IIRC the article suggested high incidence in British people. Maybe this is one reason why sailing as a popular pastime comes and goes?
That is interesting, the genetic link. Funny because it definitely exists in my family!
I believe that. It's so in my family and we've passed the passion onto our kids(and a few of their friends), now off on their own(mostly).

Over decades of sailing - mostly as a family with kids - we've met other families that got into sailing. A good portion of those families, don't sail anymore(maybe most). It was good for a while but sailing didn't grow into what they expected.

Many of those families got into it later in life with kids that were new to sailing, as well.

Of the few families that still do sail (together or now separately), many of the parents were born into sailing.

I think some of those families expected the sailing life, to be easy. 'Everybody's happy'.

It doesn't work that way. Sailing with a family (even just a couple), isn't easy.