GPS antenna location

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Logic says that the best place for the new GPS antenna is on the rail not on top of the radar mast due to the swing of the boat while sailing. I'm inviting opinions.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If your radar mast is gimbaled then there is no issue. However, just so you know, one of my handheld GPSs is located in the cabin and I have some degradation but not enough to kill the connection.

Off topic here but, I enjoy it when I see satellite TV antennas high on the house. As if the height is going to improve the reception. 100% of the time, if there is no interference, the dishes are placed high so the logo can be seen. Satellite dishes work as well at ground level as long as there is not blockage of the signal.

My point being, GPS is not Satellite TV nor is it INMARSAT. GPS has a fleet of satellites always moving so anywhere you put the antenna should receive at a minimum of 3 birds, which is all that is needed for a fix. So put it on the combing, the rail, the coachroof... anywhere should be fine as long as it is not in the way of safe boat operations. And, I would recommend a short cable run to whatever the antenna is connect to.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Thanks Brian. I've used a hand held up to this point and never had a problem just laying it on the cushion next to me. I am not enough into TV to want a satellite system unless the price comes way, way down. I'm not going the gimbaled route, just a straight mast with a hoop for antennas. I'll put the Standby VHF, AM/FM, WX/Sirius, and AIS antenna on the hoop above the radar dome. Looks like I'll put the GPS antenna on the rail where the old one was. I hope I can run all the cables thru the hoop...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Depends on the antenna. I was surprised when I installed the Vesper AIS gps antenna in the cabin. It was recognizing 9 -10 satellites at strength levels 7 and above sitting on the nav table.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Kimble, the satellite TV was being used as an example only. Wasn't implying that you are going to install SatTV. LOL

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I know Brian I was laughing along with you. It's good to know that we can have a bit of fun here and tweak a nose or two in jest.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Someone did ask me if I was going to install a beer tap at the helm when I was describing the electronics installation. LOL*

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
GPS chips have gotten better, and boats have remained about the same. So what didn't work 10 yrs ago can work today.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have three satellite antenna on my radar pole, GPS and Sirius. No problem. The arc of movement is nothing compared to the geometry of the triangulation, and you don't have worry about your Brother-in-Law knocking it loose with a boat hook :redface:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have three satellite antenna on my radar pole, GPS and Sirius. No problem. The arc of movement is nothing compared to the geometry of the triangulation, and you don't have worry about your Brother-in-Law knocking it loose with a boat hook :redface:
While it will not mess up your location, it might mess with your SOG reading. Luckily most devices do a running average of readings over time to null that out.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So interrogatory, since you are in the biz; if my nav GPS sys. is set to something like 10 sec read, do I really care what sort of wag my pole in doing? I mean after all, I am in a groove and sailing on a clean tack- the antenna rotates...like nominal. Never see the SOG dancing around, so I assume the answer is "no problem". Asking.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
So interrogatory, since you are in the biz; if my nav GPS sys. is set to something like 10 sec read, do I really care what sort of wag my pole in doing? I mean after all, I am in a groove and sailing on a clean tack- the antenna rotates...like nominal. Never see the SOG dancing around, so I assume the answer is "no problem". Asking.
No problem. Generally. The devices have smoothing algorithms that null out variances in calculated course and reported speed.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
for you Kermit I will install the beer tap but you have to promise to visit the Left Coast to drink from it....LOL*

Oct 22, 2014
install the beer tap
Kimelmore.:deadhorse: I suggested this to the OP and just knew someone:clap: would take up the challenge.

But you need a great local brew. Coors Light while drinkable would be a waste :yikes: of a good beer tap.:yeah:

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Coors Light barely qualifies as beer...on the other hand...Bud Light doesn't even come close to being called 'beer'

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kimelmore.:deadhorse: I suggested this to the OP and just knew someone:clap: would take up the challenge.
This is the first time in my life I've received credit instead of blame for something I didn't do. I'll take it!

Oct 22, 2014
Credit until you get reportedly banned according to your own use of images. :biggrin:
But celebrating a new grandchild will likely get you a pass. :clap:
It's a crazy world :laugh: