Cockpit squabs

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
We are looking at replacing our cockpit squabs. Sailrite recommend using open cell fast dry foam.
Has anyone experience with this product?
Is it more user friendly than closed cell?

Pete

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I used it, and like the results. IIRC, this is the stuff they make by adding nitrogen gas to the rubber mixture. Then they explode the nitrogen to make all the bubbles.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Ill bite
What's a kiwi :kick:
Spoken like someone who's never been to New Zealand. Or tried vegemite.
But to answer your question... A kiwi is a flightless bird native to New Zealand. New Zealanders are often referred to as Kiwis.
I'd love to go back to New Zealand but not for the vegemite. Vegemite tastes like a combination of road tar, axle grease and nasty stuff. And that's the higher quality vegemite.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I knew a Kiwi once. It's possibly where all this tossing stuff started.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="ggrizzard, ]What's a "cockpit squab"?[/QUOTE]

OOoo, Ooo... I know, I know ! Captain Ron called the boy that name- before he became a mate! What do I win?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Well, @Ron20324 wins the internet for staying on topic, and not confusing Kiwis with Aussies. :rolleyes:

You can "explode" nitrogen?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
We are looking at replacing our cockpit squabs. Sailrite recommend using open cell fast dry foam.
Has anyone experience with this product?
Is it more user friendly than closed cell?

Pete
open cell foam is a lot lighter than closed cell foam, and can be a good choice. it is also usually a lot cheaper....

open cell foam is not able to dry as quickly as closed cell foam.... there IS an open cell foam that dries a lot quicker than other types of open cell foam, but most of the problems (and benefits) of open cell foam still exist with it.

open cell foam absorbs water into the open "cells" where it can sit for a long time and so it stays wet, and when it does drain, it can still remain damp for a while.... if it happens to be saltwater that absorbed into it, the salt remains behind even after the water drains away and so continues to absorb moisture from the air and can remain damp forever... and is a lot more prone to mildew than closed cell because of it....the mildew can grow in to the foam a little bit.

closed cell foam does not absorb water and it is much more buoyant because the gas bubbles are trapped forever within closed cells.... it will dry quicker because the wetness is only on the exterior of it...any mildew that grows is only on the outside of it.

they both have their pros and cons..

for setting on, I prefer the closed cell cockpit cushions, because for a 2" cushion they seem to remain more cushy and resilient.. AND the water runs off so they dry within minutes.... a 2" open cell foam seems to lose a lot of its cush and resilience as the sun warms it up... (but it returns as it cools down again)...and if it gets wet, it will remain wet for quite some time, but this problem is help by using a waterproof fabric covering....
if one has the space to stow thicker (3-4") cockpit cushions on a relatively dry boat, the open cell is the logical choice due to the weight difference.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
And the squab can roost on the squab while you're preparing squab.
(Hey, I put up with frog leg jokes.)

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was going to post that for the cockpit closed cell is preferable because of the water absorption problem. But when the open cell fast dry form was suggested, I didn't because I don't know what that is. It sounds like an oxymoron. To me open cell is a sponge.
I had three sets of closed cell foam and found them a bit hard to sit on but vastly better than fiberglass. Open cell do tend to bottom out if not thick enough.
I'd like to know why we can have leather upholstery like the power boaters.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
As I told my 3rd grade daughter (at the time) when she left for school every morning: "Learn something new today!".