Addiction or Hobby?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I was just thinking of this and I figured I would put this out there.

Is sailing an addiction or a hobby?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I vote for addiction. Seriously, I think about it so much and when I am not sailing I am thinking of it, about half of the time. I like looking at boat adds in the winter. I actually enjoy working on my boat and the whole time I am working on it I am thinking about my next cruise.

Definitely and addiction.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Definitely an addiction for me. I have a picture of Bella Luna on my desk at work. Gave my wife a calendar of pics from our BVI's trip for Christmas .

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I have addiction issues...like tobacco and Labatt's Blue, so sailing is not an addiction for me. I seriously cannot call myself a "Sail-a-holic", as I don't have as much time as I would like available (have to work for a living) for the adventures and sailing projects that bounce through my head. I can, however, say that I definitely have an OBSESSION for sailing, and I always have since day one.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
For me, sailing is a passion. There have been times in my life when it was an obsession, but since moving to the coast of Maine, I have it under control.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
For some of us it's been a pretty lucrative profession.
There's few things better than getting to travel the world, play with rich guys' toys, live as one pleases and get paid to do it.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi. My name isKris and it's been 136 days since I've been on my sailboat.
Hahaha! I'm happy with the season here. 5 months and I'm ready to haul it out. You gotta fit your snowboarding in, sometime(recreation, not a passion :) )
Middlebury snowbowl 08 (1 of 1).jpg

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm going to have to vote passion. Most of my pics have my honey in them, "the two girls". I love them more together than I do separately. Although I have changed boats a few times ;)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Unfortunately I have an obsessive personality. All seem to pass eventually.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
For some of us it's been a pretty lucrative profession.
There's few things better than getting to travel the world, play with rich guys' toys, live as one pleases and get paid to do it.
Okay... you and I need to talk.....!!!! Seriously. :thumbup:

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
First set foot in a sailboat in 1957, at 16 yrs old. An old plywood Penquin

Been hooked ever since. I've built right at 25, restored a good many and have 9 boats here at the house, counting kayaks and dinghys. Plus Tehani in the marina, who I visit several times a week

So I don't know- addicted? or obsessed?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I told my Pappy before he departed to Valhalla that sailing was his best gift (of many). I meant it.