22 ft SC

Jul 4, 2011
South Coast 22' indianapolis
A few years back I made my 1st post here about my SC. I started looking around on other forums and across the web for info. Long story short was told that this boat was no good at all for sailing in the gulf. Maybe it was how I asked or how I searched I don't know. So it has been sitting in my driveway all these years, not wanting to spend any money on a boat that wasn't right for what I wanted to do. And that was, and is play around the Keys and maybe cross the GS on a good day to the Bimini Islands or Grand Bahamas.
Now that I am close to retiring it is time to get some things done. So I am on the lookout searching for boats. Wouldn't you know It's sitting in my drive! I have wasted time thinking this was not what I wanted something to sail out with for a few days maybe even a week. Fish snorkel play around and anchor over a night or even a few nights then go home. No fees for a marina to keep it in unless it is on an outing and planned for. Now I am starting to work on this boat again. I have found sails and a boom, I need the end of the boom that holds it to the mast. I will be making a rudder in the next cpl of weeks. It looks like this sailboat is very close to the C22. I see a slide in galley For the C22 and wonder if it will fit into this SC. I plan to lay this boat out the way I want it and make it something to be proud of. So if anyone has stuff that I can use please contact me. Stands will be high on my list as I really need to get it off the trailer. The swing keel has to be overhauled I'm sure. winch is rusted up And I don't trust the cable plus I have read that the pivot pins are prime for leaks. Where can I find seals, or is there a work around? Thanks I could go on and on but I had better stop here. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.... I need the end of the boom that holds it to the mast.

. Where can I find seals, or is there a work around? :)
The part that holds the boom to the mast is called a gooseneck. If you post pictures of your boom someone on here will recognize the maker and point you in the right direction.

For the swing keel you need to put a rubber washer between metal washer and the keel trunk and tighten it down. You can buy rubber washers of various sizes from MacMaster Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-washers/=16dwon0

or you can make one by making a masking tape dam around the washer and filling in the dam with goop. Let the goop dry and peel off the tape. I've done that.. (see pics).

gasket.jpg
gasket2.jpg
gasket3.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First boat purchased was a South Coast 22 many years ago. It was a good trailerable sailboat but I believe the above post for the keel attachment may be correct. Rubber washers are highly suggested or like material as pointed out, not bubble gum that I use to see on some boats brought in for repairs when I was a dealer. It was a little good coastal boat as well. The company I remember was on the coast I think in Lousiana or Mississippi or somewhere along there but hurricane I believe destroyed that mfg. facility.

As for the boom and mast, look at Dwyer Mast. I think they supplied the mast and boom but not sure. Boy it has been a long time ago.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
South coast was made in Shreveport, way back when.. There were several around the marina years back.. Folks used to take them out to the Miss. Gulf Islands for overnights.. it was designed by Carl ALberg and is similar to many of the trailer sailers of the time, like the Catalina, San Juan, Venture/MacGregor ..
These guys may be able to help with the gooseneck: http://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Gooseneck_toggles.html

EDIT: May have an "alternate fact" here.. I know that Alberg designed ther fixed keel SC 22 but don't know if he was involved in the swing keel one.. The hull shape looks the same, so I suspect they did have him involved in the "conversion" but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
SmallCraftAdvisor did an article on the SC's a couple of years ago. They reviewed several owner's and had a lot of comments on the boat. It was a favorite racer wherever it was. Some had been gutted and redone exclusively as racing sailboats.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kloudie1
By chance do you remember whom the mast mfg. was. I know that Catalina and MacGregor extruded their own masts or someone local to them. However, what mfg. extruded the mast for the South Coast 22 if you know whom?

Jul 4, 2011
I moved the boat this weekend, turns out the keel moves OK. But I am pretty sure that it may leak. I was reading that this is an issue with these. Plus I can't find the main sail for it. For now I will work on the rudder. I think I have found a place to buy the pins to attach it to the boat looks like I 'm good there. I will post a photo of my boom soon. I may have found the end for it in Green Bay at a parts yard there. The wiring on this boat is shot, and I don't know if I can save the panel. So once the rudder is done that will be my next thing on the to do list. Not having been in it for awhile it is smaller than I remember.

Another thing that is really bothering me is a good safe way to tie it to the trailer. I put good heavy straps over the bow and stern but there must be a better way for this. It pinches on the rubber edge. I can see real problems if I keep this up. At this point I think that rubber may need to be remove and the deck resealed to the hull. The boat was about half way filled with water when I got to it Friday afternoon. It is leaking in from somewhere. The inside needs scrapped and painted anyway.

Gezz will I ever really get to put this in the water? Oh well when I do it will be dependable and safe to sail. Photos to come.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
photos of the boat on the trailer. Not knowing what you have and without pictures, everyone can comment but I prefer to see what we are dealing with so positive feedback can be given.

Jan 19, 2010
@trucker22233

Sounds like you have at least $3K of work to do and and new sail will cost $1K. You can buy a very nice MacGregor 26S or 26D (a lot more boat) with decent sails, decent trailer and working outboard for about $3K. The 26S and 26D are sometimes collectively called the 26C boats where the "C" stands for classic. The "S" stands for "swing keel" and the "D" for "dagger board". They are essentially the same boat and both are water ballast boats so they are big for a trailer boat.

Something to think about.... If you do a search on this forum for a user named @Sumner you can see a tremendous amount of great trips he has made in his MacGregor. You can really do a lot in these boats.

But if you are going to redo this boat.... why bother with the electrical? Get some battery operated LED puck lights from Lowes for the interior and battery operated Nav. lights for the very few times you actually sail at night and use a hand-held VHF with its own batter. Done and a lot less bother.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Good luck with your project Trucker. I'm not familiar with the SC-22 but we did own a Mac-22 for a few years. A 22 foot boat is great for day-sailing and the occasional overnighter even though it gets awfully cramped on trips any longer than that. (After our second week long trip to Catalina Island we opted to sell ours and move up to a 26D like rgranger mentioned.) It looks to me like you're on the right track. Enjoy the boat that you have. You may find that this boat is perfect for you. Also don't wait till everything is in perfect order before you take her out on the water. Just make sure she's seaworthy. A few hours on a boat still under construction can give you the encouragement to keep going. I get a lot of satisfaction from a fixer-upper and have thoroughly enjoyed working on all the boats that I've owned. Plus, contrary to common belief, I've always made money when it came time to sell them.

Jul 4, 2011
I keep looking at this cost to redo everything and it is overwhelming! Saturday we are going to go look at a very nice 29 ft Watkins. Everything is there including a fresh yanmar 2gm, all new cushions and an assortment of sails ready to drop back in the water . I will keep the South Coast 22 but it is not really what I want. This has been a fight from within from the start with me. The 29 ft will allow me to make the Great American loop at least half way. I just don't know, the boat is more than just a toy to go play on. It is transportation and a window to freedom. I am getting excited about traveling down the rivers of the USA. Huckleberry Finn kinda thing I guess. I have driven in all 48 and walked from Ohio to the Pacific and back again. And when I get near the waters things take on a new clam. The South Coast is just to small to do this with. I should have thought more before I got it, even tho it didn't break the bank at all. It is in the end, not the right boat for me. Over the last few weeks I have changed my mind half a dozen times on this. With only 3 years before I retire, I need to get it right. So dumping 3 or 4 more grand in a boat that is to small to really enjoy is not a good idea. I don't think it would really be comfortable to take a 22 Ft out for a 6 mo trip even if it on a river and not open waters. Maybe if I were alone I could, but 2 people, It won't work.
So I have to draw the line and step up. Storage fees and slip fees for now is the cost of learning, The rewards will be snorkeling in the Bahamas. And maybe a trip to Belize.

Jan 19, 2010
I think you are on the right track Trucker. I've made that mistake in both directions. Started with a boat that was just right .... until my kids grew a few years older... then went to a boat that was too big and not trailerable....(I learned that was important to me) and then back to something "just right". I suspect Goldie Locks was written by a sailor....

Anyway, pressure wash the SC, put a fresh coat of paint on the outside and list it for $500 more than you paid for it.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
With your description of what you plan to use the boat for I'd have to agree that the SC would be way too small. Like I said before, overnight is great but 22' gets awfully cramped for trips more than a couple of days.

Good luck on your search and be sure to let us know how things go.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
SC 22 my first sailboat after a Hobe 14. My niece called one day saying her friend had a sailboat for free. It is still in my yard. I found another SC 22 for $500 with new sails and rigging 250 miles away. I bought it and used it for 3 years with the wife overnight camping and sailing. She called it the little tug. It is very similar to the Catalina 22, and I used their site for modifications. The weak points are where the chain plates enter the hull. Get the Grey roll caulking from Home Depot or other store to seal them, also check out the bulkhead where they attach to the hull. I have the boom and goose neck and possibly an extra. I will check.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I sold that SC 22 for $1200 and bought a MacGregor 25 which I sailed for 2 years. I now have a Mac 26S which I sail and camp in. I have camped on the Gulf, on island beaches and in Walmart parking lots like an RV. On all of the boats I used LED interior lights and running lights. Check out Duckworth Magazine website
http://duckworksmagazine.com
From your description of plans, I would recommend a 26 foot water ball aster sailboat. See http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/macgregor-index.html

Jan 19, 2010
I agree with BILLNPR

Catalina, Hunter and MacGregor all make very nice water ballast boats and any one of those would be a much more comfortable sailboat to take on the loop. I had a Mac 22 and I loved it but one week was the longest cruise I ever took on her. I now have a Hunter 26 and I really like my Hunter 26's layout but I also paid a lot more for it than any of my other boats. IMHO the MacGregor 26S or 26D are some of the best bargains if you want to stay under $4K. The MacGregor 25 is also a very nice sailing boat if you can find one with the swing keel in good shape. It is not water ballast so it is stiffer than the 26s or 26d. The Mac 25 is a very fast sailing boat. The Mac's won't be as pretty inside as a Catalina or Hunter but they sail well, trailer easy, are easy to work on and repair and if you are handy, you can modify the heck out of them. I would avoid a Mac 26x or 26m and the Hunter Edge. Those two models made to many compromises to try and be both a motor and a sailboat and neither sail well

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... I would avoid a Mac 26x or 26m and the Hunter Edge. Those two models made to many compromises to try and be both a motor and a sailboat and neither sail well
If one only wanted to do the "Loop" I wouldn't rule those boats out as there is very little real sailing on the Loop in most cases. This last year 2 Mac X's did the loop and I think one M also finished it. One X didn't even take a mast and the other did get some sailing in as they also went back to the Bahamas for the 3rd time with their X as part of the Loop. They do have a lot more room below vs. the S and D. If one was looking at a Mac I'd get either the S or X as they have a swing centerboard so can go into shallow water with no fear of hitting the bottom vs. the D and M with dagger boards where you could damage the trunk.

For how I want to use the boat, and for reasons you gave, I love my S and have never regretted buying her. I do have way more than 4K in her though ;),

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas