100 Percent Acrylic Bottom Paint Initial Test Results

Nov 6, 2014
Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24 Beaver Lake
OK, I did a search of e-mails I had with the owner of the J/120 that briefly used the nano coating I mentioned. It turns out that the product was developed by a company from Morgan Hill called "Syntropic Solutions." That company is now called "Cyntropic Solutions" and guess what? They own Coval Molecular Coatings. Coval Molecular makes a line of products called "TruNano" and now that I see that, I remember that the product I dealt with in 2011 was called "TruNano Marine Armor." Coval Molecular no longer has a marine coating in their TruNano line, but they do have one called "Coval Marine and Hull Coat," which I assume is the product you're considering. Is it the same product that I had experience with? I guess that only they could tell you. What I can tell you is that the Marine Armor product failed miserably.

Here is a thread about it from Sailing Anarchy, including a response from a company representative:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=126103
Fstbbms, I am glad you were able to give Crazy Dave the kind of informative answer based on actual experience with the product that he was seeking.

This is the reason I am documenting my experience with using 100 percent acrylic exterior house paint on the exterior surface of a sailboat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Seahorse24;
I look forward to your posts on this style painting and thank you for sharing with the forum. We all learn from each other.
Going back to fiberglassing on the pool project. I wish you could have seen what I walked into by professional, total destruction of a pool. Nothing to it other than dealing with a back issue but wearing a brace. See ya my friend.

Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
How is your house paint on sailboat holding out? It was a very interesting thread before the non promoters took over.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

BTW I used Valspar Duramax paint on the floor of my aluminum boat about 8 years ago and it is still like new and un-retouched.

Nov 6, 2014
How is your house paint on sailboat holding out? It was a very interesting thread before the non promoters took over.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

BTW I used Valspar Duramax paint on the floor of my aluminum boat about 8 years ago and it is still like new and un-retouched.
Thank you for your interest, Solosailer. I have kept the rudder in the water since September. The paint Is holding up fine. I am convinced the 100 percent acrylic paint is fine for boats that don't stay in the water 12 months out of the year. The algae still brushes off with a broom, but some slight staining is now visible. Next week I will try a stiffer brush and see if the stains come off.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you Mr. Seahorse24 for keeping us posted. It is results that count. A good case is cementing sending units for example depth finders to the hull with plummers putty. That little green frog, Kermit, made me a believer out of that when I helped him to attach one to the hull inside his 260 hunter

Nov 6, 2014
Update on bottom paint experiment:

The bottom of the rudder has been in the water over nine months now and the acrylic exterior house paint is holding up extremely well. There has been no softening of the paint at all. We have algae growth, but the algae brushes off.

The longer you leave the algae on the surface ( like months ) the more straining is likely to occur. The strains will come off, but not with a broom. You need a brush. I'm going to allow the algae to remain on the rudder for rest of the summer and will then try my power washer.

Important note: I have no idea how this paint would hold up in salt water. My experiment is taking place in a fresh water lake.

Based on what I have seen so far, 100 percent acrylic paint appears to be a reasonable alternative bottom paint for trailered project boats. It would probably not be a good idea to use house paint on an expensive boat, but for those who have a project boat, you might want to consider it.

More updates to follow.

Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
Thanks for the info update. Still interested. I may paint some white parts of deck with Valspar acrylic elastomeric paint to tone down the brightness now that It is affecting my eyesight. Do not forget the sun tan lotion.

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
Following as outside the box is always fun to learn from! Thanks for posting this!!

Nov 6, 2014
How is the topside and non-skid holding up?
LadyHawk, thank you for your comment and question. The topside and non-skid are holding up well. The paint is formulated to last for years on the exterior of houses.

Jun 23, 2017
Do you need to wax the hull with the latex? Man would I love never waxing another boat ;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you for spelling out fresh water Seahorse24. I wonder how it would apply to salt water for the trailerable boats?

Nov 6, 2014
Do you need to wax the hull with the latex? Man would I love never waxing another boat ;)

Thank you for your question, LadyHawk.

This 100 acrylic paint is exterior house paint. I would not recommend trying to to put wax on it. I used a semi-gloss finish for my project, but you can get the same paint in a gloss finish, if you want a more shiny appearance. This paint is formulated to withstand the exterior elements on a house for years.

Nov 6, 2014
Update on sailboat boat lift status:

I went down to the dock yesterday to check on the boat. Everything looks good with the boat.

I did notice the boat lift needs some adjustment. I need to make some limiters to keep the lift centered in the slip. We used an old lift that can shift to one side over time due to wave action. We had a lot of high winds this year.

I've replaced the old lift blower motor that burned out. It had been made from a vacuum cleaner blower and had been in use over twenty-five years. I replaced it with the blower motor shown in the photo below. It works great.

I mounted the blower in a six dollar plastic tool box I purchased from Home Depot. The box protects the blower motor from the sun and rain.

We currently use a generator to power the lift motor, but plan to add a solar system within a few months. Total cost of solar system ( solar panel- $120.00, controller-$20.00, batteries-$185.00, inverter-$180.00, mounting hardware, wire, and switches-$60.00 ) That's quite a difference from our first solar powered boat dock solar system which cost us $3,500.00 back in 2004.

I added a second air valve so we can control air flow separately to the center lift tank we added last fall.
IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Solarfy
Your question regarding bottom paint in another post you posted, do not click on Ralph Johnstone's reference to a website. I did as I have anti virus and anti malware. Malware is attached to that referenced website. I clicked several times and the same warning came up and for those who do not have anti malware, I am seeing it more and more now. Suggest you get anti malware.

Nov 6, 2014
Any updates through October 22, 2017?
First, thank you for your continued interest in our project boat.

A few weeks ago, my son and I centered the lift in the slip. We also raised the rudder out of the water, after leaving it below the surface for one full year to see how the paint would hold up in constant contact with water. Other than a little staining, the paint on the rudder is fine.

Surprisingly, after being exposed to the sunlight for a month, a lot of the staining we noticed after raising the rubber has actually gone away. That is something that really surprised me. I will post a photo next week when we go back to the dock.

So far, the 100 percent acrylic exterior house paint appears to be a great low-cost alternative top and bottom coating for project boats.

Upcoming projects:

Adding a solar panel and charge controller to keep the battery charged. We have to select a new battery as well, plus new breaker panel. We broke the old one when replacing the interior wiring.

New interior cushions, probably a spring project.

Happy sailing.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
@Solarfy
Your question regarding bottom paint in another post you posted, do not click on Ralph Johnstone's reference to a website. I did as I have anti virus and anti malware. Malware is attached to that referenced website. I clicked several times and the same warning came up and for those who do not have anti malware, I am seeing it more and more now. Suggest you get anti malware.
I got a ref to Intelux site where the question is answered. I have a patch of discolored paint on bottom, it will need a retouch. I did not go to RJs reference site. Thanks

Jun 23, 2017
I painted my pop top with the Duramax and liked the paint. The temps dropped out on me so the topside will have to wait for warmer weather. I did find that I had lots of bubbles with a foam roller so I had to tip my paint after rolling it. Did you roll and tip Seahorse24? I may end up spraying the hull come spring.