Considering buying Yamaha 30-2

Jan 31, 2017
Yamaha 30' Sidney
Hi guys,
I am seriously considering buying Yamaha 30 tall rig. It would be my first boat. I'm hoping to be able to do some long distance racing and maybe some beercan racing. I have 8 years of racing experience sailing Sonar 23. Yamaha looks like a sound boat and seem to be perfect for my needs for cruising. My concern is, how competitive is Y30 design? (Having a heavy inboard and a fuel tank in a bow...) I appreciate your input.

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
My marina neighbour is a 1982 Yamaha 30 that he bought new and is very pleased with it. She has the same Yanmar YSM12 motor that I have in my CAL. I would not worry about the motor being in the bow, the hull is designed for that. They changed the design in the later 1980s and moved the motor to the traditional rear location. I’m told Yamaha sailboats have a very good reputation for both quality of build and sailing ability. If I was looking for a newer boat, I would have a look at these local boats:

http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4400 http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4337

Depending on your size and budget desires it may be worth while to look at this one:

http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4426

Remember that the cost of ownership goes up exponentially with the length. i.e. Marina moorage, maintenance, sails, hardware, insurance, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I have a Yamaha 30 Tall Rig, in Sidney at Westport. The fellow I bought it from in Seattle used to race it and I understand it did fine.
But me, I don't race so I don't really know how well it does beer canning.
I mostly single hand daysail & cruise, though the girlfriend will come along when her schedule allows.
The boat is very well built, solid and well thought out. Original gear seems top notch. Engine in the bow, and while I thought it was too small (12hp) it is actually more than sufficient.

Satori single hands very well, is very comfortable and will move along well. Doesn't feel like it points quite as tightly as my old Ranger 28, but then few will. I find the tall rig handy for a lot of the summer/fall quiet days, but for winter & spring sailing I'll reef early to keep her a bit flatter. She seems to slow if overly heeled, but I've often sailed with main 2nd reef and jib to 1/3 in 15+knots and still do an easy 6/7 knots.
For cruising it's a dream. There's a lot of room inside, nice headroom, and a decent galley (though I'll add a cooler for longer trips). I added a Newport propane furnace which does a nice job (and quick) for cooler weather cruising. The V-berth is ... a tad short for two, but my girlfriend is a real "snuggle then stretch out" so I can find myself cramped. The large quarter berth can sleep two, or nice size for a single. I patched together a setup between the two settees that allows us more room sleeping across the saloon. I kinda wish I had the 33 for even a bit more space, but I don't actually know if the V berth is any longer.
One downside for me: I'd like to have a dodger for winter but the boom is a bit low and the traveller is in the way of making a good sized one work. Though I have seen them on a couple of Yam's.
How's that for some starting info?

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
We used to have a Yamaha 30 Mk II with the engine under the cockpit. Well built boat and the boat we moved up to after owning a San Juan 24 for 17 years.

The light air performance was no-where as good as the San Juan 24 and the motor in the stern model had more weather helm than the San Juan 24.

WE hit a log in English Bay in Vancouver in The Yamaha 30 and I hauled the boat and there was only paint damage. I suspect the keel would have ripped off hitting the same log in our old San Juan 24.

I remember it was a bit of a problem getting the 8 lb "fat boy" propane tanks needed for the propane locker so make sure these are still available. Don't worry about the foot rails on the cockpit seats, they are comfortable.

We now have a Yamaha 33 tall rig with lead keel and motor in the stern. New motor. Keep that in mind when you buy and get a mechanical inspection.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
My marina neighbour is a 1982 Yamaha 30 that he bought new and is very pleased with it. She has the same Yanmar YSM12 motor that I have in my CAL. I would not worry about the motor being in the bow, the hull is designed for that. They changed the design in the later 1980s and moved the motor to the traditional rear location. I’m told Yamaha sailboats have a very good reputation for both quality of build and sailing ability. If I was looking for a newer boat, I would have a look at these local boats:

http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4400 http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=4337
Regarding the local boats, I've seen the 33. She has some serious rot appearing on her bulkhead where the chainplates pass into the interior, and her shore power has been permanently decommissioned for insurance purposes. The head gasket on her Yanmar was replaced, so I suspect some overheating/exhaust issues. Her owner put some money into her, but raced her hard. An ounce of prevention is invaluable when gleaning for a good used yacht, and there is probably a good reason why the 33 in question has sat on the market for quite a while now.

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
It will probably cost a $1000 to put AC on the Yamaha 33 talked about above. By the time you purchase the panel, tinned copper wire, shore power outlet, shore power cable and maybe an ELCI and a couple of enclosures you're up there. There was no AC in our Yamaha 33 when we bought her so we put AC in. Probably worth considering replacing the AC system on any boat more than 30 years old (depending of course on the specific condition).

Apr 1, 2017
Yamaha 30 Connecticut
I went from a Sonnic 23 to my 84 Yamaha 30. Sailed it for years with my family. I raced her, cruised her. She is fast and points very high a great racer!! We lost her in a storm due to a dock cleat failure. We (my family) are heart broken!!! I had a brand new UK Genoa racing sail made for her which I didn't get until the end of the season. I used it twice. If you find a 30 and you are in need of an amazing performance sail let me know.
Good luck in your search-
Ken Hart

Apr 17, 2017
Yamaha 30 Heriot Bay
If there is anyone out there looking to buy a great turnkey Yamaha 30 with many recent updgrades, $25,500 CDN in British Columbia near Campbell River! -Quadraite

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think people are being put off by that massive stainless arch. I was put off by the arch and the new cabin heater ( prefer propane/no through deck chimney).

Jdub

Oct 22, 2012
Yamaha 30-1 Charleston, SC
Hey OP,
I've got a Yamaha 30 1981, Engine in the bow. Great boat for me so far. It rode through Hurricane Matthew recently, the dock it was attached to broke. Had some decent damage to the bow, but considering what happened it came out pretty lucky. I learned a little about fiberglass after that!!

Anyway, for sailing it can be a little tippy. Its light, so it's often necessary to reef. All in all a fun boat to sail.

Dec 9, 2017
Yamaha 30MK2 30ft Tall Rig 8175 Burrard Civic
Captain Crunch, Do you still have the Genoa?
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017
Yamaha 30MK2 30ft Tall Rig 8175 Burrard Civic
I went from a Sonnic 23 to my 84 Yamaha 30. Sailed it for years with my family. I raced her, cruised her. She is fast and points very high a great racer!! We lost her in a storm due to a dock cleat failure. We (my family) are heart broken!!! I had a brand new UK Genoa racing sail made for her which I didn't get until the end of the season. I used it twice. If you find a 30 and you are in need of an amazing performance sail let me know.
Good luck in your search-
Ken Hart