3 GM 30 copper crush washer size - injector

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Curious if anyone knows the millimetre size of the copper crush washers on the fuel line to injector coupling (and return line too if different)? The engine is a 3GM30 but same injectors as 1GM10 and 2GM20 (and probably most engines).

I'm asking because I'm totally frustrated trying to get one from the Yanmar dealers I called. Of the four, three said "I would have to look it up" but never offered to do so. I asked and two said they couldn't and one took my phone number but never called back. One place asked me the millimetre size and said they have several size in stock - but they were unable to look up the size I needed. I figure if I knew the size, these guys might have what I need.

I really don't want to pull one from the engine and drive all over the place hoping someone has the proper size. Actually, if I had one in hand I'd go to automotive or motorcycle service places first.

I'm hoping it's not like this with all parts for this engine.

Thanks,

Chris

PS I read about re-annealing the old washers on another thread - sounds like a good "fall back" plan.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Chris, there are no crush washers on the fuel inlet. That fitting is a conical high pressure fitting. It cannot have any dirt or scratches on the little cone on the end on the HP line, where it seats in the injector. that can be tightened, usually, to stop a leak there. The outlet fittings have two crush washers each. The part number is 23414-080000. I think Toad MArine is the distributor in your area: http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ma...dex.php?p=details&mfc=Yanmar&sku=23414-080000
Usually it would be a crush washer leaking,, be cautious about tightening the inlet fitting (both fittings, actually) because that is an expensive one to fix.

EDIT: remember, these are tractor engines so if you have a Yanmar Tractor parts place closeby, you can get the washers there with the same part number:
http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Chris,

I feel your pain as I went through exactly the same thing at the beginning of this season. Decided I wanted a supply of copper washers for spares and went to the dealer with the dimensions of the two sizes. Couldn't do it ............. but I can see their point as well. All of their parts are listed as part numbers on the engine only and not by washer dimensions.

They were good enough that they could bring up an exploded picture of the components and I pointed out what I needed. It was the same picture as shown in the manual shown below.

However, note that there are no banjo fittings downstream of the injector pump (only upstream). Not sure if this is is the area you were originally questioning

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Ralph, I think he's referencing the banjo fittings on top of the injector.. the fuel return to tank. The other post had a picture of his leaking injector. It had fuel stains on top of the high pressure inlet fitting, so likely is a drool from the top banjo .. Just guessing kinda.. since the injector had been worked recently, they may have re-used the washers or scratched 'em.. Again, guessing from the previous post and picture.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I think he's referencing the banjo fittings on top of the injector.. the fuel return to tank.

Got distracted with the idea of "fuel line to injector coupling".

I see what you mean ............. these are likely the ones. Maybe Chris can confirm.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Got distracted with the idea of "fuel line to injector coupling".

I see what you mean ............. these are likely the ones. Maybe Chris can confirm.
just take one of the bolts with the passageways in it and go to the tractor shop and match them up wit what they have

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I had posted this pic earlier and it does appear the return might be the source of my fuel "weeping". Originally I thought the high pressure inlet also used a crush washer - but the diagram confirms otherwise. Guess I really need to take a washer off the engine and visit farm/auto/motorcycle places and physically match them up. I did (finally) get one Yanmar dealer to look up the part and call me back - he wanted $32.50 per washer! I found several places online (same part number) and the prices vary from only 40 to 90 cents each. I asked twice if that price was for one or a case - he kept saying "each"...

image-2788132863.jpg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I had posted this pic earlier and it does appear the return might be the source of my fuel "weeping". Originally I thought the high pressure inlet also used a crush washer - but the diagram confirms otherwise. Guess I really need to take a washer off the engine and visit farm/auto/motorcycle places and physically match them up. I did (finally) get one Yanmar dealer to look up the part and call me back - he wanted $32.50 per washer! I found several places online (same part number) and the prices vary from only 40 to 90 cents each. I asked twice if that price was for one or a case - he kept saying "each"...

View attachment 78401
at these prices from that dealer you could go into your coin collection and get some old copper pennies and drill holes in them and use them

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I also had a couple of leaks at the banjo fittings, one on an injector return fitting and another between the fuel pump and secondary fuel filter. The fuel pump uses 8mm washers and all the others are 12mm. Yanmar has stopped using the copper washers on their newer model diesels and now use a rubber bonded-to-metal replacement. They are called Dowty washers. They are a direct replacement for the copper washers. The stock numbers are 22190-080002 for the 8mm, and 22190-120002 for the 12mm. I bought mine at Laborde Diesel, 1-800-628-9882. No more leaks.

Here is a link to an online store:

http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/sh...sults&pn=22190-120002&storetype=mdd&x=12&y=10

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
Old thread but it popped up in a search while I was trying to figure out what size crush washer I needed for the fuel filter banjo fitting on my Yanmar 3GM30. For future searchability I figured I would add in the size since I was never able to find the info on this forum.

The 4 copper crush washers for the engine mounted fuel filter banjo fittings are 12mmx17mmx1.5mm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WW7BS32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 6, 2006
Quick note, Mike.. Those are for the secondary filter inlet and outlet and for the connection on the injection pump.. (Yanmar part # 23414-120000) The fuel pump inlet and outlet (Yanmar part # 23414-080000) are 8mm by 13mm by 1.5 like this:
https://www.amazon.com/8mmx13mmx1-5...rd_wg=uZPUG&psc=1&refRID=CMHYVQXYE5HZ505FD846
It always amazed me that they used two different sizes for those connections..
There are some available with a neoprene insert that work better.. I have some of the "Dowty" washers on my pump inlet/outlet.. as referenced in an earlier post (#9).. They work great !

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The fuel pump inlet and outlet (Yanmar part # 23414-080000) are 8mm by 13mm by 1.5 like this:
https://www.amazon.com/8mmx13mmx1-5...rd_wg=uZPUG&psc=1&refRID=CMHYVQXYE5HZ505FD846
It always amazed me that they used two different sizes for those connections..
There are some available with a neoprene insert that work better.. I have some of the "Dowty" washers on my pump inlet/outlet.. as referenced in an earlier post (#9).. They work great !
Is this 8mm by 13mm by 1.5 for the lift pump or the HP Pump?