H34 Manual Bilge Pump Location

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
After reading a couple of topics on the subject, I've decided that I want to install the currently handheld, manual bilge pump somewhere in the cockpit.... Where is a good location? Thanks... Jon

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Jon
I to am thinking about adding a manual pump. On the 31 the pump was mounted in the stern lazerette. It was mounted with the face on the outside of the lazerette. All you had to do was insert the handle and start pumping.
Although I'm thinking about having it mounted on a piece of plywood so it's portable. It looked something like this.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine is in the vertical flat panel to stbd between the laz and the cockpit seat. There is a panel and rubber boot to keep water out. The handle goes in and it is easy to pump and drive at the same time. Pump body is mounted on a plate bolted to the back of that panel.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Typically, the best way to do it is so that you can sit and grab the handle between your legs and pump. This gives the best leverage, etc. Also good to have one similarly located inside the cabin in case you are sinking and it's raining.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Don & Claude.....
Looks like I need to check out what is popular with the Berkeley crowd nowadays. :pimp:
Mark....Thanks for the morning laugh!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You're welcome. I was actually only sort of kidding. If I were going cruising I would definitely have one in the cockpit and one below mounted as I described.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Check out Captain Wayne Canning's video on YouTube on bilge pump installation. Good info.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
. If I were going cruising I would definitely have one in the cockpit
Yeah, but you did bring up the point about raining that's worth considering... and what if it's snowing? Should there be another pump near the warmth of a bed????????

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Jon
I to am thinking about adding a manual pump. On the 31 the pump was mounted in the stern lazerette. It was mounted with the face on the outside of the lazerette. All you had to do was insert the handle and start pumping.
Although I'm thinking about having it mounted on a piece of plywood so it's portable. It looked something like this.
How portable do you mean? This pump will be difficult to operate if it's not firmly attached to something not movable.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Might want to consider being able to helm the boat while pumping so you can have all hands bailing

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
How portable do you mean? This pump will be difficult to operate if it's not firmly attached to something not movable.
I was thinking about a 2x6 that you could put your feet on to hold it in place while you worked the pump. You could always pass it over to another boater that was having issues.
It doesn't make alot of sense to have it portable since all the water should be moving to the bilge.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
"..Although I'm thinking about having it mounted on a piece of plywood so it's portable. It looked something like this.".. plywood isn't waterproof and the glue will come apart and wreck your design. i'd use solid cheap pine 3/4 thick and have room for a set of big feet on either size of the pump, so you can hold it down flat on the floor as you merrily pump along.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
What if you didn't have to choose? One could create a portable unit that might have a mount in the cockpit that would allow it to function both as a portable and a fixed hand pump there by getting the benefits of both? -Jon

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I think it's best to just go with a permanently mounted manual pump. Cockpit first and cabin if you want a second one. It does not sound like you want it for emergencies but you never know. You don't want to have to go dig it out of a locker and set it up when you suddenly need it. Also, keep the handle stored close to the pump.