Correcting fore and aft trim

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Ugh. I get what you are trying to do, but adding additional big weight to the bow of your boat to counter big weight you added to the transom is the worst thing you could do to your boat performance wise.
Jackdaw - agree but lets accept the fact that the generator is the key to keeping the Admiral happy. I don't intend to race except the "racing" that all sailors do when we're going the same general direction as another comparable sailboat - We're gaining on them, or We're losing ground. Let's adjust something, etc. -

Lets also accept that there is no other reasonable place to move the generator to for this boat. There isn't room in the engine compartment and the only other place would be to sacrifice the forward head (its a cruiser, not a racer) but then that limits the comfort of friends when we cruise so that is out.

So the generator is where it is and its here to stay. I'm not disputing that adding weight is a "less desirable" solution I just don't see another option. My batteries balance the trim athwartship with the generator installed so moving them to the midline in the bow would probably leave me with a stbd list. I can adjust trim a little by how much water I carry and where I take if from first. I don't carry it in the aft stbd water tank below the generator unless its a long cruise and then use if from there first. I use the water from the forward water tank under the V-berth last. etc. Even then I still need some adjustment. If I decide to race I can just empty all the water (110 gallon or about 800 lbs of water with full tanks) - three times the weight of the generator

This is a 20,000 lb cruise boat and adding an additional 200 lbs isn't the same as adding the weight to your pocket rocket. I think the PHRF for this boat is about 110. I know adding weight just to trim the boat is not an "ideal" solution, but it is what it is. People always talk about the advantages of having an all chain rode for anchoring so I'm leaning that way. I'll figure out how much additional chain to add based on the experiment with the sand bags. Moving the batteries might be an option but a labor intensive one when it comes to running probably 3/0 wire down the length of a 40 ft boat plus I don't really like the idea of the batteries under the V-berth. Hard to access, possibility of gassing, structural changes to secure them, etc.

If I asked a different question about what people think about using an all chain rode for a 20,000 lb cruise boat or a combination chain and three strand anchor rode the overwhelming answer would be all chain rode with a snubber to ease the shock load. If I go to all chain rode I may just be pretty close to neutral trim anyway like Rich has.

Please don't think I'm getting defensive - just looking for a reasonable compromise. For me at 66, compromise to keep the Admiral happy is what it's all about!

Of course I like the idea of the twins forward, but I think that is a no-go with the Admiral.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw - agree but lets accept the fact that the generator is the key to keeping the Admiral happy. I don't intend to race except the "racing" that all sailors do when we're going the same general direction as another comparable sailboat - We're gaining on them, or We're losing ground. Let's adjust something, etc. -

Lets also accept that there is no other reasonable place to move the generator to for this boat. There isn't room in the engine compartment and the only other place would be to sacrifice the forward head (its a cruiser, not a racer) but then that limits the comfort of friends when we cruise so that is out.

So the generator is where it is and its here to stay. I'm not disputing that adding weight is a "less desirable" solution I just don't see another option. My batteries balance the trim athwartship with the generator installed so moving them to the midline in the bow would probably leave me with a stbd list. I can adjust trim a little by how much water I carry and where I take if from first. I don't carry it in the aft stbd water tank below the generator unless its a long cruise and then use if from there first. I use the water from the forward water tank under the V-berth last. etc. Even then I still need some adjustment. If I decide to race I can just empty all the water (110 gallon or about 800 lbs of water with full tanks) - three times the weight of the generator

This is a 20,000 lb cruise boat and adding an additional 200 lbs isn't the same as adding the weight to your pocket rocket. I think the PHRF for this boat is about 110. I know adding weight just to trim the boat is not an "ideal" solution, but it is what it is. People always talk about the advantages of having an all chain rode for anchoring so I'm leaning that way. I'll figure out how much additional chain to add based on the experiment with the sand bags. Moving the batteries might be an option but a labor intensive one when it comes to running probably 3/0 wire down the length of a 40 ft boat plus I don't really like the idea of the batteries under the V-berth. Hard to access, possibility of gassing, structural changes to secure them, etc.

If I asked a different question about what people think about using an all chain rode for a 20,000 lb cruise boat or a combination chain and three strand anchor rode the overwhelming answer would be all chain rode with a snubber to ease the shock load. If I go to all chain rode I may just be pretty close to neutral trim anyway like Rich has.

Please don't think I'm getting defensive - just looking for a reasonable compromise. For me at 66, compromise to keep the Admiral happy is what it's all about!

Of course I like the idea of the twins forward, but I think that is a no-go with the Admiral.
Oh no doubt! I had no intention of talking you out of making your boat more comfortable to your SO. At the end of the day, you have to focus on what's important. And indeed, if your boat ends up floating on her lines, then all good!

Lighter is better, unless you end up sailing alone.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
[QUOTE="Jackdaw,

Lighter is better, unless you end up sailing alone.[/QUOTE]

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jessica's "ballast" would never be low enough to help @Jackdaw with balancing his boat fore and aft.
Indeed. Every few years, she just goes in to have them 'redrawn'.

Me, I prefer what nature drew.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Indeed. Every few years, she just goes in to have them 'redrawn'.

Me, I prefer what nature drew.
10-4 good buddy. I'm right there with you on that one. Especially when it come to real women who aren't toons.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My batteries balance the trim athwartship with the generator installed so moving them to the midline in the bow would probably leave me with a stbd list.
You do not have to move your batteries to the bow. Remember, this is a two-for-one swap; you take 200# off your stern and add 200# midships starboard. If you don't move your batteries you will need much more weight up front to off-set the trim. Move the batteries is the permanent solution. Putting mine at midship starboard, down low removed a 2.0" list to port. I was able to squeeze in some bigger AGM and +100 Ah capacity in the bargain.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
You do not have to move your batteries to the bow. Remember, this is a two-for-one swap; you take 200# off your stern and add 200# midships starboard. If you don't move your batteries you will need much more weight up front to off-set the trim. Move the batteries is the permanent solution. Putting mine at midship starboard, down low removed a 2.0" list to port. I was able to squeeze in some bigger AGM and +100 Ah capacity in the bargain.
I understand the 2 for one swap and stability curves. I just can't find a place on the port side to put the batteries midships. There is a water heater and two refer compressors under the port settee - just no room for the batteries. The batteries currently sit as far outboard as they can sit in the port stern lazarette and balance out the generator as far as list is concerned pretty well (The generator is as far inboard is it will sit.) Putting the batteries amidships (if I even could) for me would probably be okay for the athwartship balance, but won't do the 2 for 1 since I'm removing it from the stern but would be putting it about at the center of boyancy fore and aft. I'd only get the "credit" for the removal of the current two batteries. Its a mute point anyway since I'd have to move a lot of things to even have any room. So - short of jettisoning the Generator (and probably the wife with it) adding an all chain rode seems the "easiest" solution. I just measured and I have 100 ft of 3/8 inch G4 anchor chain.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you add weight to the bow you are still likely to have to raise the waterline as Rich S. did. I also did that because when I go on cruise fully crewed and provisioned I sit low.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If you add weight to the bow you are still likely to have to raise the waterline as Rich S. did. I also did that because when I go on cruise fully crewed and provisioned I sit low.
Thanks, The boat is in the boatyard for some work and will be hauled in a few days. I will probably be repainting the bottom when that happens and will add some to the bottom paint. Fully loaded I think my specs say the draft increases by 2 inches. I I'll have to check on that, I don't know if its 2 inches total or 2 inches per 1000lb load. How much did you add to account for the cruise load?