Correcting fore and aft trim

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Last year I installed a 5.5 KW generator in my starboard lazarette and moved my batteries to the port side. Needed to keep the Admiral happy by being able to run the AC when away from the dock at least long enough to cool the cabin down after a long hot day in SC. "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

With that extra 275 lbs or so my stern now "squats" considerably and is even more pronounced when running under power. I have stored a spare CQR anchor (about 40 lbs) forward under the V-birth. Even with the forward water tank full (also under the V-birth) and the aft water tank empty, it does not sit on its lines. The boat displaces about 20,000 lbs or a little more.

I need to get her back on her lines. I know that most people, myself included, don't like to just add dead weight, especially to the bow or stern but that seems to be the only solution. I am planning on first getting sand bags and figuring how much will be needed to get the trim right by trial and error. Once that is determined I'll either leave the sand bags in place or switch to something denser like lead shot in bags. I guess I could add some batteries in the bow but then its 40+ feet to the other batteries and I would think that might cause uneven loading/charging problems and I'm not sure I want the possibility of Hydrogen generation up there (I know I could get AGMs but I prefer to stick with lead acid for the time being). I could put a water bladder up there but we never use all our water anyway so I don't see the advantage of that right now.

I can't think of anything else dense enough to store there to do much good except beer, but then its not a good place to keep that much beer and I'd have to replace beer as I take it out. Too much work!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think you are on the right track. More batteries, preferably AGM or what else out there that doesn't outgas would be best. From what I (think) I know, they don't like to be mixed with other types though.
If you use the right gauge cable, I don't think your system will see the extra length. The hard part is running it thru the boat.
In the old days you could shift your powder and cannonballs forward to trim out

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Another thought after figuring out how much weight I will need from the sandbags.

I have a third spare anchor with easy access (a Danforth) for emergency deployment with about 10 feet of anchor chain and then a nylon three stand rode. It can be deployed fairly quickly. I already have about 80 feet of chain on the primary anchor with the remaining 100 foot or so of three strand rode.

Options:

1. Buy anchor chain for the spare anchor and store it under the V-birth. Amount of chain would be determined by the sand bag weight I determine brings her back on her lines. At least it would be useful weight.

2. . I could go with an all chain rode for the primary and store the current 80 feet of chain and nylon rode under the V-birth. In fact, an all chain rode may be enough depending on how much the sandbags say I need.

Thought?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you don't already have an all chain rode, change to all chain, that will add considerable weight in a useable item.

Also is there anything on the aft end that can be removed?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I think you are on the right track. More batteries, preferably AGM or what else out there that doesn't outgas would be best. From what I (think) I know, they don't like to be mixed with other types though.
If you use the right gauge cable, I don't think your system will see the extra length. The hard part is running it thru the boat.
In the old days you could shift your powder and cannonballs forward to trim out

I have already shifted all the cannonballs I have but my wife made me deep six the cannon since it makes people nervous when they cross our bow too close!!:cuss: Besides, Homeland Security and the Coast Guard seemed to take an additional interest in the boat with the cannon on board. :liar:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have already shifted all the cannonballs I have but my wife made me deep six the cannon since it makes people nervous when they cross our bow too close!!:cuss: Besides, Homeland Security and the Coast Guard seemed to take an additional interest in the boat with the cannon on board. :liar:
Don't you hate all this government intervention !!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If you don't already have an all chain rode, change to all chain, that will add considerable weight in a useable item.

Also is there anything on the aft end that can be removed?
Nothing on the aft to remove. In fact I"d like to put a dingy there but I know it would only make things worse. I already keep the aft water tank just below the generator empty to reduce weight aft. I would only fill it on an extended cruise and then use the water from it first.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The most compact ballast would be a lead casting to fit some particular space forward. But your interim solution of lead shot or bars would be workable - just make sure you secure your ballast. A roll or knock down with loose lead is going to make almost as much a mess of you and your boat as if it came out the end of a barrel. Long term plan on moving all your batteries to someplace forward (and lash them down well). I found that simply relocating and installing AGM in the saloon to port was enough to get the boat back on her lines and evenly balanced on both tacks. Also have a 5.5 kW genset to starboard and was not interesting in giving a bunch of lead ballast a ride. The good news is having your batteries low and centered makes your boat sail better - so you have an incentive.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Dan,

I have a 5 kw genset plus 4 golf cart batteries in the stern. The batteries are about 68# each and I think the genset is about 375#. I use all 170' 5/16" G4 chain rode (about 2#/ft I think) and a 45# Manson Supreme anchor. I do see a little stern squat but I don't judge it to be a problem. I also have a 100# dinghy hanging off the stern on davits. However, years ago I did adjust my water line to raise the top edge of the bottom paint so that it was always above the true water line. In doing so I may have raised it more in the stern than elsewhere. If I did that it, it would mask the apparent amount of squat.
I would avoid adding weight to the bow. My understanding is that weight at the bow is detrimental to sailing performance.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Depleted uranium or Gold, take your pick! ;-)
Depleted Uranium (DU) is for all effects and purposes the same as naturally occuring uranium, U238. The density of uranium or DU is about 19 gm/cm3, which is much denser than titanium (4.5 gm/cm3), diamond (3.5 gm/cm3), or quartz (2.7 gm/cm3). By contrast, lead (at 11.3 gm/cm3) is only just over half as dense as DU and even mercury (at 13.5 gm/cm3) is not quite 2/3 the density of DU -- uranium is amazingly dense, being very near that of gold (19.3 gm/cm3).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ugh. I get what you are trying to do, but adding additional big weight to the bow of your boat to counter big weight you added to the transom is the worst thing you could do to your boat performance wise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If you're by chance married to my ex-wife, just get rid of her. That would eliminate dead weight that shifts meaninglessly and eliminate the need for the heavy generator and all other additional ballast whether it's useful or not.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Put another generator on the bow. Double the power, double the happiness. But seriously, folks. Weight at the ends of the boat is bad news performance wise. I would consider relocating the generator.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm surprised no one has suggested a couple of Bow Babes. Twins preferred, one on each side... for balance, you know.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm surprised no one has suggested a couple of Bow Babes. Twins preferred, one on each side... for balance, you know.
I imagine that would be subject to his wife's approval. But I'm sure all of his homies on the forum would readily approve. Especially if he sends pictures regularly.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my boat it seems that the slight squat at the stern increases when motoring (always with any boat) and disappears when sailing. This is intuitively logical as the net result of all the forces in the direction of motion is above the boat and tends to push the bow down. So I just ignore it.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
How much to the batteries weigh? I moved mine to the port side under the salon settee right about mid-ship specifically to improve balance. Easier to access as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've been working with Jo on the value of mass centralization. Down low and centered. You know, a racing thing. Seems to be working.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg