Checking out a H260 fixed keel tomorrow

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
the wing keel of the 270 is lead appx. 2000 pounds made by Mars Metals in Canada. The molds for the hulls are the same but different molds as the 270 did not have the swing centerboard housing as the 260. The floor pan if I recall was lowered as the water ballast is not the case plus there is no center board housing area to contend with. As a result, the table could be lowered all the way down.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
.... The floor pan if I recall was lowered as the water ballast is not the case plus there is no center board housing area to contend with. As a result, the table could be lowered all the way down.
Sounds like more headroom in the 270.

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
Just an update if anyone cares. I am the owner of a 1999 Hunter 260 Wing Keel. I guess being 1999 it is still a 260 and not a 270.....doesn't matter anyway, just a different decal. I am now making preps to bring her down river to new birth here in North Alabama. Got a lot of work to do before she meets my standards to travel 250 miles down the Tennessee River.

Jul 18, 2015
Anybody have a picture of where your shore power plug is located on the outside of the boat? Mine did not have shore power already and I plan to install this weekend. Looking for a good spot to drill a 2" hole.

Jan 19, 2010
My shore power plug is located in the port side cockpit locker along with my battery switch. It is located on the aft wall of the locker placing the leads very close to the batteries... which are located port side behind the aft bulkhead.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My shore power plug is located in the port side cockpit locker along with my battery switch. It is located on the aft wall of the locker placing the leads very close to the batteries... which are located port side behind the aft bulkhead.
Mine, too. @Crazy Dave Condon installed it there when he sold it to the original owner. It works well and protects the connection from weather. The only drawback is the cord drapes on the fiberglass and can leave residue. Maybe there's a way to avoid that but I haven't found it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I believe I also installed the shore power on Rgranger's boat as well. I got tired of the shore power outlet sticking on the outside and was concerned about water intrusion into the socket when plugged in from rain and so on.

@Kermit and @rgranger, please take photos of what you have for @bamabaxter so he can follow what I did. The 26 was the forerunner to the 260 and the 260 is a wing keel vs. waterballast 270. I was involved with all three boats selling the most and advising many what to do to include introducing them. Bamabaxter if you have any questions, you have my contact information. Be glad to help.

One other thought, Kermie, can we face time on your boat? That may help me quicker to advise Bamabaxter so he will be able to talk with an intellect CRAZY if you can believe that.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Probably too late to ask, but are you going with a SmartPlug? It's on my list of future projects.

Jan 19, 2010
I have an older twist-lock type... but it is also very protected being inside the cockpit locker. I'm not sure how the 270 cockpit locker is designed but on my H26 there is a gap between the locker lid and the inside wall of the locker... the gap width is almost exactly the diameter of the shore power cord. So with the shore power plugged in, I can still close the cockpit locker and the cord exits from the bottom of the lid near the cockpit sole. I coil the chord once around the stern rail and then plug it in on shore. It is all very clean and keeps everything well protected. I'll get pics when I can. If you can imagine the stern wall of your cockpit locker.... the battery switch and shore power plug go on that wall. Then with the cord plugged in, you drape the cord over the edge of the locker wall and shut the lid. the cord sits on the cockpit floor.

Jul 18, 2015
I plan on using this http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2290035|2290039&id=1357627. The locker should be the same. I am planning to take on the task this weekend weather permitting. I need to get a battery charger going on the batteries. They have been just sitting for over a year. My question is how the main wire is routed from the locker to the panel. I plan to mount my AC panel next to my DC panel which is where most of them are located from my understanding on these boats. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
On my H26, there is an access panel under the cockpit sole. If you are lying in the aft berth, it would be right over your head... center. From there you can get to the back wall of the cockpit locker. You might also want to pull out the aft bulkhead. It is not hard to do .... just a few screws and it comes out. On my boat, the AC/DC panels and the circuit breaker are located on the galley's cabinetry wall facing aft. So you can only really see it if you are lying in the aft berth. That is also kind of nice since it protects it from accidental bumps and any water that might come in through the companionway. My DC battery charger and my solar regulator sit slightly to starboard on the aft bulkhead. I have two deep cycle batteries that sit to port just behind the aft bulkhead. That is a good place for them since the counter balance the weight of the OB hanging on the transom. I also have the alternator lead and the lead from the solar panel entering the boat from within the OB motor well to starboard.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
BAmabaxter;
Get the photos first before you start installation as I will be looking at them to refresh my memory as I did both installs personally. Then it is time to talk with crazy. Smart plug would be fine but where I placed the standard in the cockpit locker was for protection from the rain, water and so forth. The 270 is the same set up for the 26 and 260.

@Kermit How did it go Monday as I have not heard you croaking back to me rascal. @rgranger when you get back I hope you and Kermit can take some interior photos f behind the wall.

Kermie can we face time on your boat. That may be a solution if up to it? Bamabaxter suggest you talk with me again first before install.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'll take a few pictures as soon as I can. Might be a few days.

Jan 19, 2010
I'm tied up for about a week so my pics will be at least 10 days out... but if you still need them by then, happy to get them for you.

r