RRS 2017-2020 changes summary

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Nice write up. Very helpful to see a summary of the relevant changes like this.

Rule 18.3 (Tacking in the Zone) is significantly different from the previous rule 18.3. First, it only applies at a windward mark being left to port. This means that when the windward mark is to be left to starboard (such as in team racing), there is no special rule about tacking in the zone, such that if a boat tacks onto port tack in the zone, a boat clear astern is only entitled to mark-room if, when she establishes an inside overlap, the outside boat is able to give her mark-room (see rules 18.2(a) and 18.2(f)). Secondly, new rule 18.3 only applies between a port-tack boat that has tacked in the zone and a boat that has been on starboard-tack since entering the zone. So no longer does rule 18.3 apply between two port-tack boats which both tack in the zone.
Ugh. Because mark roundings weren't complicated enough? Now we have different rules depending on the course.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
LOL that's the biggie one far as I'm concerned.

Won't matter at all for a buoy races, but we do some around the lake distance races, and if we are going counterclockwise will be a real treat next year!

Nov 8, 2010
what ever happened to mast-abeam?
Wowza. Gone since when; 1997??

1997 was actually a HUGE rule year; gone was contact for contacts sake.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Hmm going to have to bone up on that. Three bridge fiasco is coming up 360 boats sailing in any direction they want with varying knowledge of the rules usually in light wind with significant current. I stick to the no contact and avoid big clusters. 3knots of tide can turn what you thought was an roomy rounding into a game of inches.

Nov 8, 2010
Hmm going to have to bone up on that. Three bridge fiasco is coming up 360 boats sailing in any direction they want with varying knowledge of the rules usually in light wind with significant current. I stick to the no contact and avoid big clusters. 3knots of tide can turn what you thought was an roomy rounding into a game of inches.
Section 2 of the RSS (when boats meet) is now VERY straightforward. It occcupies two lightly spaced pages of the current rule book. Overtaking from clear astern is now very straightforward, with the possible exception of rule #17.

The new 18.3 might spice that up as well at marks.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I think I'd need another Master's degree to understand all that noise... Luckily, I doubt I need to worry about competitive racing unless I win the lottery. In that case, I'll buy a Pogo... and another just for @Jackdaw to come race me... hey, fair is fair right?

Nov 8, 2010
I think I'd need another Master's degree to understand all that noise... Luckily, I doubt I need to worry about competitive racing unless I win the lottery. In that case, I'll buy a Pogo... and another just for @Jackdaw to come race me... hey, fair is fair right?
Ohhh thats a deal. Good news that with a Pogo you'll never have to worry about other boats (of your length or less) because they soon become dots on the aft horizon!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi Jackdaw
This is the first pic. of yours that I have been able to see. Your movies are great, everyone elses photos come through but yours are little squares with red X's through them. Any ideas??
Mike

Nov 8, 2010
Hi Jackdaw
This is the first pic. of yours that I have been able to see. Your movies are great, everyone elses photos come through but yours are little squares with red X's through them. Any ideas??
Mike
@Michael Davis - Weird! Can you see this one? Sometimes I link to images on the web, if the images are taken down (it can happen) the pic will disappear. I know that's happened but its rare.
markturn.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
See this just fine! At first I thought it was just yours I couldn't see but I've found a couple more that were the same. Often mixed into older and newer posts. Very curious!
Mike

Nov 8, 2010
Jib looks overtrimmed.
Yep. Short handed, so its set in upwind mode, so the at the turn the crew can wrestle with the kite and the driver can get right onto his upwind line. One more body and we sheet it in as the boat turns.

Anyway, because were doing a Windward Drop we turn very deep right before the mark as we take it down. The jib does nothing no matter how it was trimmed ! ;-)

Last edited: