Worst sailing update ever

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
The only thing that would be more depressing would be if the picture was taken at 430 pm. :wahwah:

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Embrace the snow. Build yourself an ice sled that uses the same mast and sails.

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
You can still see your trailer wheels, just a dusting.
All I can see are the tops of fenders

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Meh. Here in Minnesota we had 8 inches of snow Friday into Saturday and the current air temperature is -22F. High today will be -8.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG

The rest of the action happens in the heated workshop. Working on rudder right now to make it nice and shiny.... lives good for not living in the south....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Thx. I need to polish the hull come spring and due to the slope of my driveway the bow is high up in the air and a pain to work on on a ladder.

Initially I thought about building something around until it hit me to use the trailer as a base for the walkway.....

IMG_7242.JPG

IMG_7244.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm with ya, @pclarksurf !

Winterized in florida for the holidays
While technically there is winter in all parts of the world, I believe Florida isn't one of them.
In fact, if your water doesn't freeze, IMO it's not winter. :D

Today's forecasted high is -24 C -12.2 F
@cb32863 Knows what I'm talking about. :)

As for ice boats, no reason why you can't take the wheels off that C22 and put blades on axle extensions (to increase stability) and trailer tongue.
It would be the only time of the year a 22ft displacement hull could exceed 50mph. :D

I'd love to get an old dinghy rig and build one, but the lakes around here usually have snow on them, and are not normally smooth.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We were thinking of going to the lake today. It's +1 out there right now. Freakin heat wave!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We were thinking of going to the lake today. It's +1 out there right now. Freakin heat wave!
So the forecast isn't wrong ? I thought Environment Canada were simply joking when they said it was supposed to be -7 by tomorrow am. Wind from that temp change, hasn't picked up yet, but I'm hoping it's ASAP.
My e-brake shoes on one side, froze while parked/shopping, today. I was forced to drive a block or so, until the heat from the friction melted them free.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hey, we have frozen water here in Fl. We put it in our drinks. :)
I used to live in California. Every year about this time, some dudes would make jokes about it being warm enough to sail while others were lamenting their withdrawal syndrome.

I always felt it was rude to do so, and sometimes called them out on it, but for years have kept my thoughts to myself.

Last summer we sailed our boat up from SF to Vancouver Island. Since arriving, we have had the worst weather in recorded history: more rain in Oct. and Nov., early snow and well below average temps in Dec.

I haven't been able to use the boat except for three single overnights since we got here in mid Sept. At least it's still in the water, but below freezing temperatures don't equate to use or even maintenance.

I understand, and am very glad I didn't ever publicly revel in my good fortune.

It is not appropriate to gloat and I feel very sorry for those who have to put their boats up for months at a time.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
+1C????? LOL love this

That was just funny!!!! Sadly, I think they do the same thing down here too in regards to snowfall :-( They keep dangling the carrot in front of me saying were going to get snow then take it away at the last minute when it turns to freezing rain and sleet! Hard to ski on ice although I give it a good try!

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I used to live in California. Every year about this time, some dudes would make jokes about it being warm enough to sail while others were lamenting their withdrawal syndrome.

I always felt it was rude to do so, and sometimes called them out on it, but for years have kept my thoughts to myself.

Last summer we sailed our boat up from SF to Vancouver Island. Since arriving, we have had the worst weather in recorded history: more rain in Oct. and Nov., early snow and well below average temps in Dec.

I haven't been able to use the boat except for three single overnights since we got here in mid Sept. At least it's still in the water, but below freezing temperatures don't equate to use or even maintenance.

I understand, and am very glad I didn't ever publicly revel in my good fortune.

It is not appropriate to gloat and I feel very sorry for those who have to put their boats up for months at a time.
One man's storm is another man's heaven. I will take all the snow that no one else wants. Just ship it to southern Indiana and I will gladly take it off your hands!

Sam,