Looking for 376, 40.5, 380, 386, 410, 420, 430, 450, 460 in St. Augustine

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We've got a prototype replacement for the in-deck solar panel... the only question now is the trim ring, and whether the radius is the same on all/some models.

We need to very quick access to a few models to check the size. It literally will involve only laying a trim ring over your original solar panel to check fit.

If you own any of these models and would be willing to let Al aboard for all of 60 seconds, please PM me by clicking my name. Thanks!

P.S. The replacement solar panel is cool! It features a ruggedized flexible panel strong enough to walk on, 30 amp output, and a new trim ring. :) It should be on the site in the next week or two, once we confirm these trim ring sizes.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Matching Connectors and regulation would be nice to be included.:)
Jim...

PS: I can do my 430 this weekend if none found in St. Aug and instructions.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can you retro-fit them onto boats that did not originally have them? I'd be interested in a well designed panel that can be walked (or sat) on.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Matching Connectors and regulation would be nice to be included.
A regulator is included, and the unit is designed to used with the original wiring. Not sure if the connectors match, we'll find out when we do the first install. We may be able to offer that, but we aren't buying enough of these to have custom mods made to the panel. That said, there may be a workaround we can provide.

Can you retro-fit them onto boats that did not originally have them?
That would be up to your creativity. :) Our first goal is to make a good replacement unit. How it would sit on the boat will be pretty clear from the photos.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That would be up to your creativity. :) Our first goal is to make a good replacement unit. How it would sit on the boat will be pretty clear from the photos.
Let us know when they are available :)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not sure if the connectors match
Not really a problem.

If my memory is working this morning, the connector is a simple auto "trailer" type push connector with polarity parity. These are somewhat water resistant.:rolleyes:

We did trace the wiring and found NOT to be an easy task to rewire. I made sure that the failure was not loose wiring.

A splice connection under the trim ring would be ideal and easy and perfect if the regulator was built into the panel.

In my search for a replacement, the regulator would have to be located inside the engine compartment near the Starter Battery ON/OFF switch if a separate device.
Jim...

PS: I have wanted a replacement since the main bilge pump on my 430 uses the Starter Battery and the solar panel charges that battery. Good design to make sure there is normally a full charge.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If anyone is at all hesitant about this because you don't know Al, let me reassure everyone. I spent about an hour with him on 11/1/16 on my H31. He is a super nice guy, efficient, very knowledgeable about Hunters, and is clearly dedicated to helping Phil bring in more replacement parts for the various Hunters, which will help us all.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thanks SFS, Al is a great guy! He worked at Hunter for 23 years on the assembly line, managing an assembly line, in customer service, international retail parts, and now with us. It will be well worth it just to meet him! :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If you need Al to come work on an H260 for any reason please let me know. I have plenty for him to do. He's welcome aboard my boat anytime.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Late breaking news: Al will have Hunter's former head of engineering with him. Joe also worked at Hunter forever, and designed numerous systems on the boats, including almost all of the electrical. Good people to know. :) On the other hand, we can also climb aboard and lay a trim ring on your solar panel without you there. Just let the marina know we're coming. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Late breaking news: Al will have Hunter's former head of engineering with him. Joe also worked at Hunter forever, and designed numerous systems on the boats, including almost all of the electrical. Good people to know. :)
Where will they be? I still don't have my electrical issue worked out. It's on the trailer and ready for the road!

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
Hi Phil,
I have a 40.5 and would love a new panel. Please let me know when they are available.

Thanks,
Glenn

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We believe it will, but we need to work out the trim ring which is a different size on the 40.5 and 37.5. If you're up for it, we could sure use a tracing and photos of the trim ring. We'll make it worth your time! :) Please contact me via PM. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
Okay, Phil. But we won't be working on the boat till April. Will measure then.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
We've got a prototype replacement for the in-deck solar panel... the only question now is the trim ring, and whether the radius is the same on all/some models.

We need to very quick access to a few models to check the size. It literally will involve only laying a trim ring over your original solar panel to check fit.

If you own any of these models and would be willing to let Al aboard for all of 60 seconds, please PM me by clicking my name. Thanks!

P.S. The replacement solar panel is cool! It features a ruggedized flexible panel strong enough to walk on, 30 amp output, and a new trim ring. :) It should be on the site in the next week or two, once we confirm these trim ring sizes.
take a look at http://svpardonmyfrench.com -- it'll get you quite a few videos of my 93 40.5 either cruising or racing. Happy to answer questions as well if this help. Agree with others, it's a rather big boat for a first boat.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
30 amp output?? from that little surface area?? Lets just say I'm skeptical. The old one could hardly put out 2 amps at 14.4 volts.
With that said I measured my panel and it is 15 9/16" X 28". The panel fits in the recess without much extra room. The radius on the cover ring would be approx 1.5 to 2.0"

Attachments

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Where did this eventually go? We just purchased a 2002 Hunter 386 and I'm making a list. Our solar panel is disfigured. The boat is wrapped, so I'm limited to working on it. I can check output of the panel, but I doubt I get too much.

Thanks in advance,