Exhaust elbow room and cabinetry alterations

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Marchem,

That exhaust riser looks to be very close to the original design. My guess is it has been replaced or you have been very lucky with this one.

You also have been lucky with your bulkhead. A lot of C310s have had burning on the bulkhead.

On you alternator project, I would consider a different stop for the breaker. To get wires to where you have the breaker will require crossing the exhaust riser twice with potential for heat and vibration issues. I mounted my alternator service disconnect down low, on the engine base. It's out of the way and out of heat.

Good luck,

Jesse
Thanks. I'll go ahead and order the part and make the mod to the bulkhead. I may also buy the SS parts from McMaster to replace the riser at some point. Will also find a better location for the alternator shut off.
Rob

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I guess I'll show my lack of knowledge here, but what is the reason for the alternator shutoff switch?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I guess I'll show my lack of knowledge here, but what is the reason for the alternator shutoff switch?
If you have the alternator wired to an ACR at the batteries, rather than to the starter as originally done, you need a way to disconnect it when working in there. Wiring the alternator to an ACR lets you use the 1/2/Both switch to select the battery bank you are drawing from, and both battery banks get charged automatically regardless of the switch setting. See Maine Sail's discussion on this topic: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/1-both-2-off-switches-thoughts-musings.137615/

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
I am in the final stages of replacing the heat exchanger, raw water pump (upgraded), and all cooling system hoses and have a question;
On our boat the hose from the vent mounted on the bulkhead to the exhaust elbow has a loop in it...is the loop needed? It would really clean it up if it was shortened and went directly to the elbow (like I see in the photos earlier in this thread).

Amazing how many hoses and chafe points there are on this motor...I found some "hidden" spots that were close to failure.

Thanks
Scott

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
On our boat the hose from the vent mounted on the bulkhead to the exhaust elbow has a loop in it...is the loop needed? It would really clean it up if it was shortened and went directly to the elbow (like I see in the photos earlier in this thread).
Absolutely necessary! Without the loop you could fill your block with water and hydrolock the engine .

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Couldnt’ the exhaust loop be located closer to the outlet further aft on the boat? That is typically where I see it done.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Couldnt’ the exhaust loop be located closer to the outlet further aft on the boat? That is typically where I see it done.
Gunni, I think you are referring to the exhaust hose itself, which is looped as you described. I believe that Scott is referring to the vented loop for the raw water that is injected into the exhaust riser.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yes, I am talking about the loop in the exhaust pipe/hose. It will be hot as a firecracker and remain un-cooled by raw water until it meets that injection point as it leaves the engine box. Typically raw water meets hot exhaust close to the manifold to avoid that heat problem.

That aftermarket fuel filter concerns me too. Plastic bowl just a few inches from a burned engine box wall and a hot exhaust pipe. Fuel filters in the engine bay should have a metal bowl for this reason.

Dec 5, 2010
Yes I was asking about the raw water hose vent loop not the exhaust hose.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Sorry for the confusion, yes, you absolutely need a raw water loop. As high up as possible in the engine bay.

Dec 5, 2010
Sorry for the confusion, yes, you absolutely need a raw water loop. As high up as possible in the engine bay.
As usual I am more confused...I have the loop with the vent mounted on the bulkhead but was wondering about the line that goes from the vent down to the exhaust elbow...mine had a big loop but one pictured above did not have the loop and went from the vent directly to the elbow.
Thanks

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Sounds like someone didn’t finish the job and trim the hose length. The anti-siphon loop install shown is correct.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
As usual I am more confused...I have the loop with the vent mounted on the bulkhead but was wondering about the line that goes from the vent down to the exhaust elbow...mine had a big loop but one pictured above did not have the loop and went from the vent directly to the elbow.
Thanks
Mine goes directly from the vent to the mixing elbow.