Beckson Port Gasket @#$%%$#

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Trying without success to replace the leaking gasket on our 4x10 opening Beckon port. The tab that should go into the frame's groove will not go in and stay. Have tried mallets, screwdrivers and picks. With and without lube. Streched the material like the instructions say. Ready to get the dynamite.
Any tips?

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I've got those ports, and while fiddly, it's not too hard to get mine in. But interestingly, I just spoke to a friend with similar ports, and he reported spending hours try to get replacement gaskets to fit and stay, without much luck.

You say "replace", is that with a brand new gasket? Does the new one look the same as the old one? Does the old one still fit? could there be small differences in size?

See this thread for similar issues: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/beckson-portlight-gaskets-leaking-72231.html

Chris

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We have 5 x 12s. It takes a LOT of time. Be patient. You're a sailor.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I just replaced a gasket on the beckson port in my head. Also a 4 X 10. It took a really long time. You just have to keep screwing around with it until it is right. Make sure you don't stretch it too hard at the joint. It took me over an hour of massaging to get it in. My fingers were really sore by the time I was done.
Dumb question. Are you sure they sent you the right size gasket? Getting it in was hard but not impossible.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Also you will have back the dogs out 2 full turns to get the window closed once you replace the gasket.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
The diagram is interesting. I replaced my 6 opening ports with new ones. They came with screens, and no backup rings. I scratched my head for a sec until I ready the bit that says you only use one or the other (but not both).

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Is it that the gasket slips out? Can you press it in by closing the port on it? Seems you could just dog the port and let it hold the gasket in place til it stays?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Odd. I know folks that remove the gaskets annually for cleaning. I pulled all of mine, cleaned them, and replaced them (9 of them, 20 years old) in less than 2 hours this spring. In fact, I would guess 98% of all leaks are cause by dirt that encourages wicking, not gasket failure. I suspect my gaskets have another 20 years in them.

My suggestion is to clean but not replace.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Well, my gaskets are 37 yrs old. Yes, cleaning the gasket and..the mating lens surface helps. But, after 37 yrs, the gasket takes a set and you run out of dog threads before they seal...took me 2 hrs each of two gaskets. In fact over several days, as i gave up and popped a beer (or three). Two more to go but they dont currently leak. And....we have absolutely no reason to open them...

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Is it that the gasket slips out? Can you press it in by closing the port on it? Seems you could just dog the port and let it hold the gasket in place til it stays?
The finger,tab,rib will not insert into the groove, and it is the correct part. Dogging it down would just crush it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
These simply take time and patience. I did six last summer on an Albin power boat. Took about 30 minutes each. This was after I removed and cleaned the old ones then re-installed them only to find they were still leaking. Boat was a 2001.

I found that by slightly stretching or pulling taught a 2" long section at a time, while at the same time thumb pressing it in, the ear would then go into the slot. You need to be sure you start with the gasket in the correct orientation though or you'll be doing it again.

I do not suggest any lube or the gaskets will likely come out. I had a customer use some type of Teflon zipper grease and then every time he would open the port the gasket would come out of the slot. It took new gaskets (no solvent I tried including DeBond would remove the grease) and cleaning the slot with a Q-Tip and solvents to get the next set of gaskets to stay in place. If you feel you must use a lube use some dish soap. I found it best to replace the lenses at the same time as the old ones can seem to take a slight set and will not always tighten properly, even with brand new gaskets in place.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
A somewhat different and quicker approach if you find you need to do other ports in the future. I posted this once or twice a number of years ago. My Gray Enterprise ports are still leak free after a number of seasons. But also, in San Francisco with the mostly cool weather even during the summer, I don't need to open my ports very much. I am assuming this might also work for Beckson Ports?

===========================================================================

- Do not remove your existing gasket material from the gasket channel;
- Extend the long thin blade of one of this style of box knives. (http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...mpaignId=T9A&gclid=CODEnu3Nv7sCFciIfgodQVoAJQ) Use it in a sawing motion to trim back the existing gasket flush with the outer edge of the gasket channel;
- Use acetone or lacquer thinner on the trimmed existing gasket to clean and "reactivate" the surface so that the following type of gasket product will stick; (... Or any similar product - however needs to be smooth surface not light foam.)
https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-63628-Weatherstrip/dp/B000FPDOTO
- Carefully press the window gasket material up against your cleaned cut-back old gasket. Make sure that the two ends meet exactly together on the top. Then put a touch of super glue at the joint to keep them together. When applying the window gasket tape don't be stretching it at the same time which is the normal temptation.
- Drop the hatch and dog down lightly. The self stick tape does become permanent.

This doesn't take long to do. Whereas digging out the old gasket and cleaning the channel before installing new material can be a lengthy process. Most likely will be a fix for quite a few years. And if not, you are not out much for the effort!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Pearson 303 Jacksonville, FL
I know, old thread, but I just spent an hour attempting to insert a new gasket in my leaking Beckson 414... you can see where the previous gasket installer "gave up" and didn't bother to properly seat the anchoring strip in the slot, just crushed the window on it in approximately the correct shape... maybe that worked well enough when the rubber was new, but it's a mess now, leaks very badly.

BTW, after an hour of trying, both dry and with a little soap, I got virtually nowhere. Re-read the instructions, the instructions online have a diagram that the page inserted with my gasket order didn't, showing a 45 degree bend labeled 90 degrees when inserting the gasket. They also mention pre-heating the gasket in the sun, which I didn't try tonight - will try that next time.

My wife also suggested that it might be a 4 hand job, worth a try.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You can also talk to “the guy” at Beckson. He also said you can position it and stretch a bit and lightly pound with a small wooden hammer. Took me about an hr each. They don’t leak and I have no reason to open them..

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Would soaking the gasket in hot water help the fitting process? That is recommended when replacing the insert for rub rails.

Feb 5, 2019
Pearson 303 Jacksonville, FL
Would soaking the gasket in hot water help the fitting process? That is recommended when replacing the insert for rub rails.
I found a set of Beckson instructions online that includes "leave the gasket in the sun to warm it up / soften it" - so I'm thinking that a hot water soak in the galley sink would be sort of the next level after sunbathing, as long as I can run my water heater without blowing the breaker... too many neighbors staying aboard on my outlet right now...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think someone needs to design a tool for fitting these gaskets!