Irwin 38 Citation - potential purchase

Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
Hi Mike,
Just found this thread. I am going to take a look at a couple of boats this weekend, been one a Catalina 34 and one an Irwin Citation 38.
I would like to hear your thoughts about it, since you just went from a Catalina to a Citation, can you help my family decide?
Thank you
Hi,
I did not own a Catalina. when we originally started looking this was the boat were were considering and looked closely at a 34. What swung us to the Irwin? 1. Citation 38 is a good looker. 2. She is VERY roomy with a huge aft cabin and lots of storage space (I mean a LOT!). 3. Sails extremely well - balanced, zero weather helm and fast. 4. Opening back with fold down swim ladder (we swim off the boat a lot in Florida to cool down!).

Downsides : Depending on the year you are looking at? Please send me a the URL for the listing....? The later models had a slightly cheaper interior. Our boat had several leaks into the cabin, 2 from loose stanchions and some from deck hardware - think we have now fixed them all, but will see in the next heavy rain. No anchor windlass - pulling up the anchor on a heavy 38 footer can be fun!

Are we glad we bought this over the Catalina 34 - most definitely yes! We also considered an O'Day 35, but felt it was over priced for what you got over the Oday 34 (swim platform).

I am in touch with other Irwin 38 Citation owners on Facebook, if you want more input then join that group.

Hope that helps your process, not many 38 citations out there - so I would grab it if you have chance. Not sure how much it is listed for?

Best

Mike

Jul 11, 2016
Pacific Olson 30 Carlyle,IL
I am looking at a 1988 38 citation, at about $25k... Do you have the name of the FB group?
Thanks for your help so far.

Jul 11, 2016
I am looking at the broker site and it is still there... So I am thinking it is still available...

Mar 9, 2016
I am looking at the broker site and it is still there... So I am thinking it is still available...
I would call the broker and ask the question - when they put SOLD on an advert, then generally it means that a contract has been drawn up and agreed upon.

It is is indeed still for sale, then I will respond further......

Jul 11, 2016
Hi Mike,
The broker site still had it for sale, but the boat was indeed sold. According to the broker, in kind of a rough shape.... Well, somebody' s gain, my loss. Thank you for your help!
Where in Florida do you sail? I am in the process of getting a boat to bring it down there!

Mar 9, 2016
Hi Mike,
The broker site still had it for sale, but the boat was indeed sold. According to the broker, in kind of a rough shape.... Well, somebody' s gain, my loss. Thank you for your help!
Where in Florida do you sail? I am in the process of getting a boat to bring it down there!
Thats a shame, but maybe there is another one out there somewhere! We live in Madeira Beach and sail any where south of here - there are some wonderful places to visit!

We ended up with a 38 footer due to massively increased cabin space, very glad we did as a the 34's were a great deal smaller.

Good luck with your hunt!

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
Hello All, I Just Purchased a 1986 Citation down here in Texas. It needed a new cutlass bearing and bottom job but other that that she looks good. I would be interested in knowing how things are going with Mike and Christina and any other Citation owners?

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
Hurricane got my rigging earlier this year. almost back together now should be ready to sail in a month... still like the boat!!