B311 or 321 heater location?

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
I have a 2000 B311 and am planning on installing a Wallas diesel heater so I can have both heat while off the dock, and ventilation and circulation at other times.

The boat already has a Cruisair AC-only air conditioner underneath the main galley sink which I am not keen on removing.

I'm looking for suggestions as to locations for the heater based on other B311 or 321 owners.

My two current front runner areas are:

Somehow in the lazarette - this is easy to power, and easy to get fuel, but hard to get the actual heating ducts to the living spaces.

Under the galley sink next to the AC unit. Cramped here, not sure it will fit, and the exhaust is what worries me the most - coming out the side of the hull, and it could potentially be near the water while heeled.

The heater has to be within a decent length of the diesel tank in the stern, near enough to run pipes to the living area for heat and return air, and near the hull somewhere to run the exhaust.

Any other suggestions of where to site this would be much appreciated!

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
why not ask the vendor where they had done this in the past.....
Do you mean where Beneteau had put it in the factory? I don't think they put heaters in this model, and I have never seen them referenced on diagrams or manuals...

Apr 16, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Campbell River
Hello,
I have my heater located in the lazaratte (I'm a 321). I can send you a photo if you wish. Scan Marine on Westlake Ave in Seattle are the best guys to speak with. They've been around since before I bought my boat (1995!)

Fair Winds,
Rick Segal, S/V Tessie Marie
Campbell River, BC

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Hello,
I have my heater located in the lazaratte (I'm a 321). I can send you a photo if you wish. Scan Marine on Westlake Ave in Seattle are the best guys to speak with. They've been around since before I bought my boat (1995!)

Fair Winds,
Rick Segal, S/V Tessie Marie
Campbell River, BC
Thanks Rick! I just, two days ago, bought a 30dt from Scan Marine, who I had been talking to for a long time about this purchase.

I would love to see some pictures. I just put mine in the lazarette yesterday, but I'm not 100% sure I like the location. On the 311 I have the main owners cabin in the stern which makes for some long duct runs to get to the salon area. Going thru the lazarette and up through the head doesn't make much sense at this point.

Apr 16, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Campbell River
I'm ricksegal at gmail. If you send me your email, when I go to the boat, I'll send you the pictures and show you where stuff is laid out.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
I ended up installing this in the lazarette as far back in the stern as possible. The exhaust was easy to route out the port side, fresh air from both the lazarette and a duct run up into the stern berth, and heating ducts to the main salon and stern berth. I've got some pics and details that I will post soon.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice job Steve. I installed a 40DT. Most difficult part of task was to decide where to locate heater and routing the ducts. Decided to duct outside air into the boat. Now deciding about the deck vent. Considering a 'Air-Only" vent. Will let you know how it works.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Nice job Steve. I installed a 40DT. Most difficult part of task was to decide where to locate heater and routing the ducts. Decided to duct outside air into the boat. Now deciding about the deck vent. Considering a 'Air-Only" vent. Will let you know how it works.
That was the same problem for me - where to install to reach everything. When you say air-only vent - are you specifically talking about the outside air inbound to one of the two return air connections on the 40DT?

I chose to have one of those go into the cabin, as they recommend, to pull air back from the cabin through the heater. The second is open with a screen on it in a very big lazarette which itself has a 3" air vent in the stern. So I'm essentially pulling "new" air in from the lazarette and outside, keeping the lazarette dry and air moving in there as well, and also recycling air from the cabin into the mix on top of it.

Sounds like you're looking at a dedicated outside air pickup? I've considered it if my setup doesn't work over time...

Oct 22, 2014
Steve,
Current setup uses a cowl vent on my transom to supply outside air to one of the heaters intakes. The other intake is hooked up to a vent in the cabin.
Issue with the cowl vent, if I get a wave over the stern it exposes the ductand heater to water. Saw these vents on a european yacht (http://www.air-onlyventilators.com/air-only-low-profile/)
Looks like they address my concerns. Placed an order a couple of days ago. Will have to see if they are worth it.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Steve,
Current setup uses a cowl vent on my transom to supply outside air to one of the heaters intakes. The other intake is hooked up to a vent in the cabin.
Issue with the cowl vent, if I get a wave over the stern it exposes the ductand heater to water. Saw these vents on a european yacht (http://www.air-onlyventilators.com/air-only-low-profile/)
Looks like they address my concerns. Placed an order a couple of days ago. Will have to see if they are worth it.
Those are pretty slick! Great little innovation.

That's why I haven't piped mine out as well. The two that are there now are for the engine, and have plenty of loops and rises to avoid much if any water getting in, and they're just for fresh air, not connected to a device that would die if it got 100 gallons of water down it :)

Oct 22, 2014
Boat is up in Everett. Goal is to venture along the west side of Vancouver Isl. This summer. Hear the weather can be nice or not.