another newbie, hull #12502

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Been lurking here for some time, (actually read 16 pgs of threads thus far), clearly a wealth of knowledge here from you folks so I'm somewhat educated on the C22.
Aquired hull #12502, 1984, boat/motor/trailer, all in excellent condition for its age IMO compared to some other C22 and O'day's I've looked at.

This one is from the original owner, with all documentation, he sailed it from purchase thru 2002, and moved on to other pursuits. He's pretty much an OCD retired engineer, great guy, the condition of the boat reflects that. He was a frugal sailor, and hasn't done any crazy or otherwise upgrades, other than good maintenance, so I feel fortunate to have found her in this condition.

With plenty other stuff on my plate, my plan is to tweek this one over the winter, we are fortunate to have a large heated pole barn with shop, so a nice winter project, then dunk her into a slip in the spring.

From what I can see it simply needs a good cleaning, hull rub out & wax, replace all running rigging lines, bottom paint, design and build a simple galley, and deal with the swing keel. The keel is in decent shape compared to others I've seen here, but needs the CD "upgrades", which I believe are pin/bushing/cable replacement, clean up & epoxy, from my understanding (plz correct me if this is not the case). It functions fine, but has some side to side wobble to it...is this normal?

The PO mentioned there is a way to drop the keel while on trailer...frankly I don't see how this is possible??? We do have a tractor with forks on hand (not long boat yard forks, just typical forklift forks), so I'm wondering if picking up the transom with a sling while on trailer will work, or do I need to get some stands and pick up first transom, next bow with sling, set stands and pull trailer out? Just not sure how to approach this.

I'm not new to boating, power boating 40 years, some sailing (Chesapeake Bay week long charters out of Deltaville) with just a sailing buddy and our wives, mostly on 38'+ Beneteaus, and other larger craft 5 or 6 times over the last 10 years...so I believe I have basic sailing knowledge.

This C22 is a bucket list item fulfilled, and will likely serve as a trainer leading to a 27-28 footer as the next step in a few years. Retired here so I have the time and plenty of woodworking and mechanical knowledge from past work. Located in upstate NY (fingerlakes area) at the top of Canandaigua Lake, so also looking to hook up with some local sailors to gain more knowledge.

Sorry for the long intro...GREAT FORUM HERE!....

Ron

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Congratulations on your new to you boat. I have a 1984 too.

It is possible to remove the keel while on the trailer. There's probably a thread on this forum that describes the process. If not, Catalina Direct sells a video which describes it, as well as instructions for rehabbing the keel.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your new baby.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Congratulations and welcome to the family. As a new owner, one valuable source of information in our very own C-22 National Association. Members are entitled to purchase a PDF file, or the CD of the C-22 Tech Manual. Over 400 pages collected from over 40 years on how to maintain, rig, tune, and modify your new acquisition. More importantly, the C-22 Tech Manual also covers just about any repair you need to do, including how to safely remove the keel from the boat while it's on the trailer.

The C-22 just has so much to offer. If racing is your thing, plenty of that activity around the country. We just returned last night from attending the C-22 National Regatta. We also attended the C-22's annual North Gulf Coast Cruise a couple weeks ago. We'll leave in about 6 weeks to attend the annual C-22 Great Lakes Cruise in July. Our boats are fun by themselves, but the fun factor really kicks in with a group of C-22's enjoying the summer breezes together.

Welcome to the family!

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
As mentioned before, side to side wobble is normal... you will even have that after installing the new keel hangers and pin, but the keel spacers and some delrin washers on the keel pin will virtually eliminate wobble. I have a tiny bit of wobble in the up position on me refinished keel, but zero play in the down position which more important.
Since you have a heated pole barn to work in and a tractor with lifting forks, I wouldn't worry about trying to get the keel off and back on while on the trailer. Boat stands are nice but you can also build a simple cradle with regular scrap lumber. If you can find some used boat stands on craigslist do it... They always hold resale value and will be super handy if you get that bigger boat later.
Make sure you have the stronger version of the bow eye, the 3/8" U bolt style w backing block... they sell this on Catalina Direct. With that installed you can place stands or a home-made cradle under the stern and lift the bow with your tractor, then roll the trailer away. This will make it way easier to do both the keel job as ell as paint the bottom....
Try to get some sailing in this summer before you do all that work... once you get started it will take awhile! Enjoy the summer and save the big work until the fall.
BTW, I went to college at Elmira and did my SCUBA cert in Seneca Lake (in DEC, lol).

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
here u go...these pics are from the original listing and accurate....will post more as work progresses...comments? Anything look wrong or outta place?

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Wow! Original interior in great shape. Nice boat. Congrats.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yeah. It IS amazing to see an original interior in such good shape.
Looks well taken care of.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Aside from the to-do items mentioned in the first post, I notice spider cracks in the forward cockpit floor just aft of the companionway...some flex there, quick look beneath, no support there, will have to devise something. Thinking a piece of teak (have some from other projects) as a "floor joist" glassed in and/or some verticals down to the bottom of the hull...thoughts?

Interior...the cushions show little wear and all original, floor carpet (original) is even in decent condition, topside cockpit cushions look nearly new...amazing for a 32 yr old boat...

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Looks great!! I think that's the best looking first generation C-22 I've ever laid eyes on, congratulations on checking one more thing off your bucket list.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
thx for the compliments guys...it was a good find for sure...

dabbling some today, PO had window tinting film on the ports...baked on slimy gooey mess, got it off this am, clear view now...

rained a bunch last nite, cockpit filled up w/ 3" water, took apart the forward drains that go down by the keel, full of crap, mud dauber, leaves and such, snaked it out & flowing now, however the fitting at top is simply a rubber pvc tube that has been siliconed in place, needs a quick re-do for now, I thought scuppers were supposed to be aft!

....and what is the thru-hull at the transom down by the waterline for? assume manual bilge pump out?...original or add-on?

I'm afraid I'll be pummeling you folks with questions for the next several months! I thank you all in advance for your expertise!

Last edited:

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Way to dive right in. The through hull at the waterline may have been added by the PO. My 84 doesn't have one.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
rained a bunch last nite, cockpit filled up w/ 3" water, took apart the forward drains that go down by the keel, full of crap, mud dauber, leaves and such, snaked it out & flowing now, however the fitting at top is simply a rubber pvc tube that has been siliconed in place, needs a quick re-do for now, I thought scuppers were supposed to be aft!
I hate to say it, but it sounds like that might be the reason for the springy-ness in the cockpit floor. If you have a plywood core in there, it may have been compromised, and have to be ripped open before long. Good winter project in that nice cozy barn.;)

You're not entirely wrong about the scuppers, they moved them aft to the transom in '86.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Looks good, drop me a line on items for advice on basic bottom work and rigging if any. Can look at my posts of 83 trailer to seakmpr in forum.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
put a quik fix on the drains, functional, won't leak and will flow now...what were they thinkin?! (forward scuppers)...

Gene...re: the cockpit deck...as I was under there and pulled the drains, I don't see evidence of plywood sandwich (at drain cutouts), but very well could be....anyone torn out a cockpit deck of this vintage? That first forward 18" or so is unsupported, apparently to leave space for the drain's plumbing which could account for a bit of springy....guess we'll see and deal with it...

Jacktar...thx!, will need help on bottom, keel, running rigging when the time comes...fall or winter likely...I've seen a lot of good keel rebuild posts...

RJD...that thru hull is a bilge pump outlet, comes out the transom centered and just above the bottom rudder gudgeon, slot in the port cockpit seat (ankle high) and a removable short handle to pump....may have been an option back then, don't know...

Great Forum!