Boarding Step

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I made a boarding step for our boat out of inch and a half white PVC several years ago so that the admiral had a way to easily get aboard. It is about 18 inches long and 12 inches deep with 90 degree elbows at each corner. In the center of the deep side are tees with a piece of PVC connecting them. Around each of the three pipes I installed 3M self-adhering non-skid from Home Depot.

At each corner I drilled a hole for a 5/16th inch SS eyelet bolt that is secured with a backing washer and self-locking nut. I used 3/8th inch double braid line between each eyelet on both sides with a carabiner that clips onto the toe rail. There is enough line so that the step is mid way between the dock and deck.

The two carabiners allow me to unclip from one side and move it to the other depending on side tie. While underway I clip the step onto the outside of the life lines next to a gate where it rides safely out of the way until needed. It is very strong and will hold well over two hundred and fifty pounds (test weight).

As you can tell the 3M non-skid tape has worn through in places and needs to be replaced. After all this step is about 15 years old and has several thousand miles of use.

1 (3).jpg
2 (3).jpg
3 (2).jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Brian. The nylon 3/8" double braid should hold more weight than the PVC pipe. I know the step will hold at least 250 pounds, which is what our slip neighbor at the time weighed when I tested it. No break test was performed. I could say 1,000 pounds, but that might be an over statement.:liar:

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
You know what they say about great minds.....
I saw a similar step at a boat show. The vendor wanted about $150 for it. So I went into production and made three for myself and two other sailors - total cost for all three was about $30. I used red oak that I had, bought the line and clips. I covered the front edge of the board that goes against the hull with leather so it won't scratch, and used external polyurethane for the finish.
2008_0603_070959AA.JPG
2008_0603_071008AA.JPG
2008_0603_071020AA.JPG
2008_0603_071227AA.JPG
2008_0608_003156AA.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great looking steps. Is it better to hang the steps from the stanchion or from the base/gunnel.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Nice step Rich!

I made this tops ladder after seeing one in the window of a chandler. We use it for boarding from the dinghy at the transom. Maybe I should have put polyurethane on them, too, but they've lasted about 8 years so far without it. I do like the leather idea. How did you attach it?

image.jpg
Yeah, that's what the water looks like here in St. Croix!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Lovely water! I attached the leather with contact cement. It has held up fine with no attempt to detach. If I was going to build another step, I have thought I would add a 2" vertical wood piece to the edge that goes against the hull. This would serve as a toe guard so the tip of your shoes would not hit the hull. The leather would still go on the board facing the hull.

Apr 8, 2014
Hunter 40.5 Legend Hampton
I made mine out of a length of 2x4, painted white, with 3/8 braid running through holes in the ends. I tie it on the toerail to suit tje dock height. Yours looks much more sophisticated.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Yes, but a wild Peruvian goat, raised only on the west side of the Andes, in pastures that are only bordered by special trees, and only allowed to stand facing west, so as to provide maximum wind protection to said bladder.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Amen. And they are branded with the West Marine logo at birth so Defender can't rustle them.