tiller extention

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
What length tiller extension works well on our 22ft boats? My 89 had one but I don't knoe hoe long it was.. Going to grab one this weekend as well as other stuff for this next season. Thank you all in advance, Alan

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I've used the Forespar 27"-48" length for a number of years. It allows me to sit against the cabin bulkhead and steer the boat. Keeping the weight forward is important on the C-22, and the longer tiller extension helps. It also allows me to sit up on the cockpit combing to help hold the boat down, and with good forward visibility. I also like the Forespars' ability to quickly release the extension when not needed. Being removeable also allows me to use a standard tiller cover to protect the varnish.

Don

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
I've used the Forespar 27"-48" length for a number of years. It allows me to sit against the cabin bulkhead and steer the boat. Keeping the weight forward is important on the C-22, and the longer tiller extension helps. It also allows me to sit up on the cockpit combing to help hold the boat down, and with good forward visibility. I also like the Forespars' ability to quickly release the extension when not needed. Being removeable also allows me to use a standard tiller cover to protect the varnish.

Don
Don, or anyone else who reads this: Do you also have a tiller tamer or other locking device on your tiller? I ask because I am concerned about drilling too many holes in the tiller.

Nov 19, 2008
jdub tn, I don't use the popular "tiller tamer", or other similar devices. I have the Forespar fitting for the tiller extension, and the pin for the autopilot to connect to the tiller as shown in the photo, which also shows the filled holes from the "tiller tamer" I removed and threw away. Now to be fair, I also only use the Rudder-Craft rudders which greatly eliminate the heavy strain on the tiller when the wind pipes up on the C-22, especially the factory kick-up rudder.

Don
RUDDER CRAFT 9.JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I use the Davis tiller tamer and my tiller extension is a extendable painting pole with a modified paint roller on the end, first is worth the money, adjusts the tiller tension against the windward pressure, the second is about 10 bucks total at any home depot or lowes.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Jack, what do you use to line the inside of the hole with? I like the idea of a paint roller, but I want to protect the tiller from damage.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
image.jpg
I made this tiller extension last year for my O'day 240. I made the brackets out of PVC pipe. Cut to size, heat it with a hair dryer and shape it. The one bracket is bolted through the tiller and a few washers added. That allows it to swivel. The other bracket simply secures the extension when not in use. I formed the extension with my lathe but a mop handle would work fine.

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Jack, what do you use to line the inside of the hole with? I like the idea of a paint roller, but I want to protect the tiller from damage.
My tiller already had a tiller extension fitting (flange with lined tube and fastened with 2 screws) but it is basically about a 1/4 inch diameter hole in tiller from top to bottom. Should not have any problem drilling a hole to let the paint roller rod pivot in it. Will take closeup picture of fitting on tiller and post soonest.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Ok so I know this is an older thread but I seen no reason to start another one when I have similar questions so here goes.

I was looking at tiller extensions to install on the boat for next year as it would be nice to be able to move around a bit and sit more forward in the boat for balance etc... I was looking at the extension linked below and was wondering if any here had experience with it such as how hard is it to adjust on the fly, how durable is it, are there any known issues with the locking fittings, and why is the dang thing so expencive!

@CaptDon01 you say
I've used the Forespar 27"-48" length for a number of years.
But do you use all that length? It seems like that is almost too long for the boat and how do you store it on the tiller when you're sailing and not using it. If you all have any other ideas or other extensions that might work better please share those ideas. My goal is to be able to reach the cabin top easily for hoisting sails etc all while still being able to control the tiller and to be able to hike a bit for the casual races I participate in.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--twist-lock-tiller-extensions--P002_074_001_502

Thanks

Nov 19, 2008
LakeShark,
My tiller extension sits on top of the tiller with a clip designed to store it on the tiller. When I'm docking, or in a narrow channel, I normally stand in the rear as shown in the one photo and either steer with the extension, or with my foot on the tiller. That way all I have to do is step off the boat and secure it with the lines. On the little 15' West Wight Potter I recently purchased, I installed one of my spare C-22 tillers on it, and also use the Forespar extension. Weight placement is important on the P-15, so I normally sail with my body resting on the cabin bulkhead to keep the weight forward. "If" I'm actually steering our C-22, I sit against the cabin bulkhead also to keep the weight forward, but my normal sailing position is standing in the cabin companionway and let the autopilot steer the boat and I control the autopilot with my wireless remote.

When I need to stand on top of the cabin to pull the mainsail down and secure it, again, I'm on autopilot with my wireless remote around my neck. I steer the boat into the wind, release the halyard rope clutch with my toe, and pull the sail down.

Y-Knot 307.jpg

Standing in the rear with the tiller extension in my hand. Normally the bimini is up so I have good visibility over the top of the bimini. This position allows me to simply step off the boat when I come along side of the dock, or into a slip.

IMG_4891.JPG

Here is a spare C-22 tiller that I installed on my 15' Potter with the extension clipped on top, a little hard to see.

IMG_4893.JPG

A better view of the C-22 tiller I use on my Potter-15 with the extension clipped on the top, where it normally sits when I sail the P-15 and don't need to use the extension. The slightly longer C-22 tiller has worked very well on the West Wight Potter.

IMG_5003.JPG

Waiting for the tide to come back in, but you can see the tiller extension clipped on top of the tiller. I will buy another Forespar tiller extension just like the one I use on the C-22 for the little P-15, that way I don't have to worry about forgetting the extension, and It's just nice to have both boats independently stocked with what ever equipment I need.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Thanks @CaptDon01 I was mainly concerned with the extension being too long however it looks ok in your pictures. One last question when it's completely retracted does it still fit inside the cockpit or does it overhang a bit? I don't have an autopilot and budget wise one is not on the horizon and I want to make sure I don't get one that is so long that it interferes with the winches and things.

Nov 19, 2008
The photos show it fully retracted, it fully swivels, when not in use, clip it on the top of the tiller out of the way. The only way it will interfere with the winches will be because you placed it there, besides, you determine the length, a simple twist to adjust and lock the length to what ever you want.