27 for blue water?

Nov 8, 2013
Catalina 27 San Diego
I all, I have a 27ft and was wondering if it would work to sail to Hawaii? Or should I upgrade before I plan that type of trip? Feedback?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Someone just asked this same question, but at least they were talking about a C 30.
But here is the advice I gave them, which I believe applies to most Catalinas out there:

There have been a lot of discussions on this site about the merits & limitations of Catalina construction methods. At least you're talking about sailing to Hawaii in a C30 & not a C22! I have owned 3 Catalinas, C22, 25 & now a 30 & I personally don't think that the rigging, keel design & rudder post construction are beefy enough for Blue Water sailing. There is a measureable difference in how a blue water boat, such as a Valiant 40 is built versus a Catalina. Any boat can theoretically make to Hawaii & back, but is it prudent to push the limits of a coastal cruiser? Heck there is debris that floated all the way from Japan all the way to California after their earthquake. I would honestly be more concerned about a sailor's ability to sail the distances then the boat that they're on. If you ask the question, then perhaps you already know the answer. There was a decent film just released called "All Is Lost" with Robert Redford, who ship is lost at sea, even after a lot of ingenuity on the sailor's attempt to keep her floating. I would watch this before answering whether the C 30 is enough. But remember that once you're out there, its just you, your crew, & whatever you have in & on your boat. When you're out in the middle of the Pacific no one's coming to the rescue.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Have you taken it offshore before? Check out the 27 Yahoo group as they have a liist of upgrades to take a 27 blue water.

My experience with my 27 tells me it is a bit on the rolly side for long passages. Even if made more solid structurally, in fairly good conditions there is a bunch of movement there. Just compensating for the movement of the boat you will be burning major calories, then again some people thrive on the unpleasant.

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
No do not sail the 27C to HI! Sell your near shore coastal Cruiser and buy a suitable vessel (32 to 42).
BTW, My wife and I did go see "All is Lost" and Redford performed excellent as an actor; but, as an Ocean Sailor he made too many errors in judgment and did not employ a proper response to repair that even my wife was say'n WTH!!! Why not tie to the container (floating dock) make suitable hull repairs, Ect. Ect... But I did enjoy the movie...

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
I agree with that assessment. I do remember when the container hit his yacht & I though to myself, why not jus tie up to the container & work from it as a floating platform. But when you're on your own out there & don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of, I expect that you can make some bad decisions when sleep deprived & exhausted. But that was a real blue water boat. Can you imagine the constant rolling motion on a C 27? Barf.

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
Offshore vessels are judged on criteria that only considers overall length well down the list of essentials. A blue water boat is generally thought to be constructed to heavier scantlings with considerably upgraded equipment. Most experienced offshore sailors prefer a heavy displacement vessel usually with a full keel and considerable draft that would be prone to groundings inshore. Other needed gear; Offshore liferaft, safety lines and tethers, watermaker etc. would quickly overwhelm a lighter displacement inshore cruiser designed for lakes and protected waters. Please research the difference between a pleasant weekend or daysailing vessel and a boat designed for the rigors of 20 ft. seas and surfing down the face of waves which are an integral part of offshore sailing in all oceans and most particularly the Pacific and Southern oceans. Hope to NOT see you on the news.

Highest regards, Darrell

P.S. In the day of immediate gratification it becomes important to realize the skills for offshore passages come through experience and there simply is no shortcut!

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
Kinda' hate to belabor the point I'm trying to make here but my significant other feels it's important to be fully understood on this subject. It, in my estimation, is the height of folly to go to sea un prepared, either as a seaman or with regard to the choice of vessel. Size is not paramount, as many successful voyages have been made in very small boats. I witnessed a landfall made by 2 young sailors who had departed Los Angeles and arrived in the Ala Wai Yacht basin in Honolulu. The boat looked good and the crew was happy and came through very well. The vessel they made the crossing in was only 20 ft. long. It was a Flicka, designed by Bruce Bingham ( actually drawn by his father) designed as a proper offshore boat and is kind of an exception to the rule that bigger is better. Many of us forget that this is not some sort of video game and we cannot reset the game after a disastrous result. The ocean is big, wide, has no conscience and doesn't know you're there. It is what it is and you need be prepared. This is real life!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
there have been way smaller boats that have made way longer passages... safely.
some boats are stronger than others, but if you dont encounter storm force winds and waves, how strong of a boat do you need?.. and what if you do encounter storm force winds and waves... can YOU handle them?
also, what kind of shape is your boat and rigging in? in top condition, im sure the boat would make it fine, if its handled right.

if you can take your boat offshore for some coastal cruising in a storm and stay out for a couple of weeks or three without making port, and you can do this routinely and without worry or question, then I would say that you and your boat are more than ready for the trip to hawaii... but if you cant handle the coastal cruising in bad weather for a length of time, where you at least have the option of running to port, or calling the coastguard for assistance, then you arent quite ready to chance a trip to where you have no options other than to sail, sink or swim...

and the boat is stronger than you are, but when you have something go wrong when sailing local, its really no big deal... you lose your relaxing fun day on the water cuz you have to go in and get it repaired, and all this change of events is a pain in the ass....
the very same scenario out there, could very well be a life altering event.... maybe worse.

and on the other hand, the trip to hawaii could be no more eventful than a trip to catalina island on a good day.... so you gotta plan for, and expect the worst, hope for the best, and pray that you will have some luck if you should need it...

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
There are some great videos on YouTube about HI to CA crossings, watch em..

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
Here is a link of itemizing the customization Patrick Childress did to his Catalina 27 before taking it around the world single handed. There are plenty of Catalina 27's that have made the trip to Hawaii.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.boats.cruising/2006-06/msg00252.html

Having said that, the Catalina 27 is a coastal cruiser. She wasn't designed for blue water sailing. Theoretically one could ride a 1970 Honda 70 motorcycle from New York City to Buenos Aires, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Sep 1, 2013
Catalina 30 Omena, MI
Just because you can does not make it a good idea.

The overall length is not so much the issue,but rather the design. If it were I, I would sell the Cat 27 and buy a 28 Bristol Channel Cutter. Furthermore, the most important member of the crew will be your self-steering equipment. DO NOT assume that an electric auto pilot will suffice. A wind vane system is an absolute must on any boat making such a passage.

Rob

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I'm sure anything can be done with the right weather window and the grace of God.

After being on a bunch of boats over the last 6 months, at least for me, mid 30 footers would be the bare minimum.

Sep 1, 2013
Catalina 30 Omena, MI
I agree

I'm sure anything can be done with the right weather window and the grace of God.

After being on a bunch of boats over the last 6 months, at least for me, mid 30 footers would be the bare minimum.
Personally, i would prefer a boat like the Contest 38. This is a great blue water boat that can be acquired for a reasonable price. The c-27 is a great boat, but it is not designed to withstand the non-stop pounding of a 20 day blue water crossing.

Sep 1, 2013
Catalina 30 Omena, MI
My cousin sailed from L.A. To Fiji in a Nor'Sea 27 with no radio, no GPS; just a sextant and charts. That is just stupid. As i stated earlier.... Just because you can does not mean you should.
R

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
OMG these threads on whether to sail a C 27 to Tim Buck Tu never die!
LOL. I think we need to build a section of this site with a collection of answers to: "Should I sail a coastal & lake sailboat around the world?"
"What do I need to look for when buying a 30 year old boat?" or "Can I Trailer a C 30 across the country with an F150?"

I tire of the questions, but the responses are entertaining.
Besides, I feel obligated to answer just to potentially stop someone from killing themselves or their family with some ill conceived idea.
But Happy New Year to all.

Nov 22, 2013
macgregor m25 akron
c 27

A couple of years ago I read an article about a guy who sailed from Seattle to hawaii on a Wayne Potter 19. I guess conceptually it can be done. but having said that, one can also jump out of an airplane without a parachute.

Sep 1, 2013
Catalina 30 Omena, MI
Westwightpotter.com

A couple of years ago I read an article about a guy who sailed from Seattle to hawaii on a Wayne Potter 19. I guess conceptually it can be done. but having said that, one can also jump out of an airplane without a parachute.
I think that you meant the West Wight Potter.
Yes there are some lunatics who have crossed the Atlantic in them too.
Some people make bad choices.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I all, I have a 27ft and was wondering if it would work to sail to Hawaii? Or should I upgrade before I plan that type of trip? Feedback?
Not enuff storage or water tank for that. Also would need upgraded rigging, steering and a monster helping of good luck.